GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Steering wheel removal question

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-13, 08:23 AM
talbott
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel removal question

I've searched like crazy but can't find an answer, I have a chance to pick up a gs430 steering wheel but I have to pull it off the car, my question is how? I've seen the posts about the torx bits for the airbag removal but my question is do i have to have a puller for the wheel or can I muscle it off? (I've never needed one on others I've pulled) and also how do I get the cover off to get access to the bag and bolts? I don't just want to go yanking on it without knowing.
Old 09-21-13, 08:56 AM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

First you unhook the battery for 30 minutes then remove the hex bolts and the airbag should be able to pull off but do it gently because you will have to unhook the airbag. Once that's done you will have to take off a 19MM but in the center of the wheel and this is where the puller should come into play.. I'm not 100% sure if you NEED one or not. I don't remember Jeff using one on mine when we did my interior swap but that was over a year ago so who knows.
Old 09-21-13, 09:22 AM
talbott
Rookie

Where are the hex bolts?
Old 09-21-13, 10:50 AM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

There are 2 covers around the side of the wheel that can be popped off. If you look you can tell they're covers. One is circular on the bottom side and the other is rectangular on the left side of the wheel I believe.
Old 09-21-13, 11:48 AM
tiger4life
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

I tried to yank it off without the puller, but that didn't work. The puller is much easier. Just go get the loaner tool from Autozone. It come with 3 pairs of bolts. 1 is a large thread, don't need that one. The other 2 pair are the same size thread (smaller), one is coarse thread while the other is fine. You need to use the coarse thread pair.

After unscrewing the torx bolts, the bag may not freely come out. The wheel has little white plastic tabs to stop the screws from falling out after you unscrew them. You'll see them. You might have to use a flathead or knife to pry the crews past the tabs so the bag will come out.

Last edited by tiger4life; 09-21-13 at 11:53 AM.
Old 09-21-13, 11:55 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by LuxuryGS3
First you unhook the battery for 30 minutes then remove the hex bolts and the airbag should be able to pull off but do it gently because you will have to unhook the airbag. Once that's done you will have to take off a 19MM but in the center of the wheel and this is where the puller should come into play.. I'm not 100% sure if you NEED one or not. I don't remember Jeff using one on mine when we did my interior swap but that was over a year ago so who knows.
He didn't use one, nor did runyun when he installed my new wheel.
Old 09-21-13, 09:25 PM
RikTT
Pole Position

*Unhook battery if there's power still (few secs)
* T30 Torx head. Use a 1/4 or 3/8 ractchet with an extension. Pop off the plastic caps on the side of steering (smaller than a circle dime). The torx bolts don't come out, just retract in a platic housing
*Unclip air bag when you lift it off (wiggle it side to side)
*Ratchet 3/8 or 1/2 with deep 19mm socket or small extension with socket
* I usually leave the 19mm nut on a few threads so when I pull the wheel, I won't smash my nose.

I've never used a puller yet between all my cars (SD wheel, RX Wheel, TRD wheel etc) . Just a few hand taps @ the 9 & 3 o' clock position from BEHIND the wheel if needed. You could use a rubber mallet wrapped with a rag or something if you are thin toothpick armed for strength.

Retighten the 19mm nut , but don't over tq.
Old 09-23-13, 08:20 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

I've read about some clock spring that you have to watch out for. is that true?
Old 09-23-13, 10:41 AM
sLOWaristo
Pole Position

On my 430 I didnt have any clock spring issues.. I judt followed the syeps everybody else previously mentioned.
-disconnect battery
-remove the little covers on both sides of the wheel.
-remove the little hex bolts (2 of them)
-carefully pull off the air bag (dont yank it because you have to unplug two clips in the back
-unsrew the big nut in the middle holding the wheel
-then i borrowed a steering wheel puller from autozone (super easy and free, so you dont have to muscle the wheel off) should pop right off
Old 09-24-13, 06:01 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

^^Sounds very simple. Why does everyone disconnect the battery lol? The air bag isn't going to randomly pop in your face. Why would people think that? The air bags inflates due to impact on the car. But I guess unplugging it ease people minds.
Old 09-24-13, 06:46 AM
RikTT
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GokuSSJ3
^^Sounds very simple. Why does everyone disconnect the battery lol? The air bag isn't going to randomly pop in your face. Why would people think that? The air bags inflates due to impact on the car. But I guess unplugging it ease people minds.
I'd rather not clear any codes for the CEL when tampering with the system....

The clock spring on the steering coloum is not much a big deal. If you are delicate in the procedure then you just slip the new wheel over the spline IN THE SAME ORIENTATION you remove the old one on
Old 09-24-13, 09:40 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by GokuSSJ3
The airbag light will stay on if you don't unplug the battery.
Old 09-24-13, 09:53 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
The airbag light will stay on if you don't unplug the battery.
but will go off after the new one is plugged in and it resets itself....

i have changed my wheel 4 times n only unhooked the battery once (i have 2 batteries so its a nuisance to do) its doable but to be safe and for those people not very smart or mechanically inclined, just go ahead and unhook the battery. also a puller isnt needed 99% of the time but if you dont know how to get it off, go to autozone n rent a puller....

watch out for the SRS plug though, i tore mine once n had to solder it back together
Old 09-24-13, 10:13 AM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sakataj
but will go off after the new one is plugged in and it resets itself....

i have changed my wheel 4 times n only unhooked the battery once (i have 2 batteries so its a nuisance to do) its doable but to be safe and for those people not very smart or mechanically inclined, just go ahead and unhook the battery. also a puller isnt needed 99% of the time but if you dont know how to get it off, go to autozone n rent a puller....

watch out for the SRS plug though, i tore mine once n had to solder it back together
Welcome back buddy.
Old 09-24-13, 10:32 AM
Sevenevez
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

i didn't need one. tug at 12 o'clock on the wheel. then one hard tug at 6 and she came right off.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel removal question