GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

So frustrated! First Lexus and horrible experience!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-13, 10:08 AM
sw151143
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So frustrated! First Lexus and horrible experience!!

So i've had this car 3 weeks already and still can't drive it! Bought it for $3,500 real clean and needs a/c. I figured I got a good deal and can fix this minor driving issue. Well it is turning into a money pit! I posted the problem before, the good ol code for acceleration pedal position sensor came up so i bought it. Found one for $250 changed it and still same problem but it DID clear the code. What's that about?? So now no codes but it still have that very sluggish feel like something is holding it back and won't go faster than around 35MPH. When I drive it has a load deep sound also from the front of the car, not sure if that is normal. I have changed spark plugs and wires, cleaned throttle body, cleaned MAF sensor filter is dirty but I dont think a dirty air filter will do that much. ANYONE PLEASE HELP HERE... It only revs to 3500 rpm also. I did notice on the bottom of the intake air duct the box underneath has a crack in the bottom. Im stuck now and so frustrated im thinking about just selling this thing! Any input?
Old 09-09-13, 10:26 AM
lexo98
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 227 Posts

I hope it's not in snow mode.
Old 09-09-13, 10:47 AM
Sampak
Pole Position

Shot in the dark but if it's sluggish and barely getting up to speed, but IF it does go past 35 mph on a flat road but very very slowly, it might be the catalytic convertor that's failed and/or something's clogging your exhaust.

I had something like that happen on my '06 Nissan Sentra, where the catalyst honeycomb material shifted and was basically blocking exhaust flow. It made the same louder rumbling under the hood if I gave it too much gas and took forever to get up to speed.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Edit: And another thing. I'm sorry you're having problems with your Lexus, but you paid $3500 for a Lexus GS (most in my area that are in decent shape go for $5-$9 grand) knowing full well it had issues....that alone would tell me the car probably has been neglected and who knows what other problems related to the one you're having are lurking to be discovered. Next time try and research the car and its problems and if you don't feel capable of addressing/understanding them, skip the car. It only makes the experience worse not knowing why the car is doing something unexpected when you don't understand its ins and outs. Just spend the extra bucks and get a decent one, or choose another car / class that will run better for the cost/age (my '98 Altima cost less than half and was in as good shape and maintained, not a beater).

Last edited by Sampak; 09-09-13 at 11:07 AM.
Old 09-09-13, 10:55 AM
DriftOner
Rookie

Yeah my car ran like crap and was super slow when my cat went bad. Didn't make a low rumble noise but it did make a wooshing noise when you tried to accelerate.
Old 09-09-13, 11:09 AM
rush161
Driver

who installed the pedal sensor? Did they recalibrate it to the correct position?
Old 09-09-13, 11:28 AM
sw151143
Driver School Candidate

I checked, it is not in snow mode and even in power mode it is the same. I was trying to really pinpoint this deep rumble noise but it's the loudest when in gear. When im under the hood and rev it with my hand the noise sounds like its coming from the intake duct. Now im wondering about the cat, at idle it's perfect and when i go behind the car i can feel the exhaust coming out but it kinda of seems like its very little. But then again i didn't have anymore to rev it up some so i could know. As far as the pedal position sensor I thought only the TPS had to be calibrated? From whatI read everywhere I seen the TPS needs calibration and not the pedal position sensor. So I just bolted up the 4 8mm bolts. That did clear the code on it's own though but still have the problem. Unless someone has messed with the TPS before but wouldn't that still throw the code?
Old 09-09-13, 11:31 AM
sw151143
Driver School Candidate

On you all with the converter problems, other than the sluggish and what you described were there any other noticeable symptoms? I heard it'll smell really bad also. im starting to think this is something with the intake or converter because of the restriction feeling and the loud intake noise. Like I said the intake duct box where the metal is is cracked. Just don't want to be throwing more money blindly at this.
Old 09-09-13, 11:34 AM
AVSRacing
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts

How about you just take it to a proper shop. Trying to cheap out and experimenting with random parts trying to fix a problem often never works out well.
Old 09-09-13, 11:40 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

I don't see how this is Lexus fault for OP buying a $3500 car with problems from the get go. I feel your pain but your title is mis-leading. Just because its a Lexus doesn't mean buying one that has problems can warrant you coming on here saying "1st Lexus, Horrible experience". The "Horrible experience" is that you opped to buy a old (What year. and what model is it?) So try to put the blame close thy self for buying a Non-working $3500 car and trying to be Ace mechanic. And not blame the brand. I had my car almost 15 years now, with proper car and maintenance, I have yet to see a problem.. Thanks for letting us know not to buy a $3500 GS..
Old 09-09-13, 11:44 AM
Sampak
Pole Position

I don't believe there were any smells when the catalyst material broke apart inside the convertor, but it did seem to be 'louder' in a sense under the hood due to the immense back pressure of the exhaust.

In any case, if you have a crack around any of the intake manifold, that should in fact not cause a restriction but allow extra air to go into the engine causing irregular increases in idling and other anomalies.

As the poster said above, I think it's time to take it to a Toyota dealer and let them do a once over. At least you'll get a better idea of where to attack the problem if you don't want to pay premium labor fees hehe.

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
I don't see how this is Lexus fault for OP buying a $3500 car with problems from the get go. I feel your pain but your title is mis-leading. Just because its a Lexus doesn't mean buying one that has problems can warrant you coming on here saying "1st Lexus, Horrible experience". The "Horrible experience" is that you opped to buy a old (What year. and what model is it?) So try to put the blame close thy self for buying a Non-working $3500 car and trying to be Ace mechanic. And not blame the brand. I had my car almost 15 years now, with proper car and maintenance, I have yet to see a problem.. Thanks for letting us know not to buy a $3500 GS..
I was trying to be nice about it, but you kinda went on the defensive-offensive there LOL.
Old 09-09-13, 11:47 AM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Clean your mass air flow sensor...
Old 09-09-13, 11:48 AM
sw151143
Driver School Candidate

Lol ^^^^ I'm not blaming the brand Lexus. I know I get what I paid for, the title isn't misleading in my opinion. Im just simply stating that it is my first Lexus and so far I am having a bad experience. Not with the brand but this car. I have worked on many cars for years, im just stumped right now. My thinking when buying this car was if i put some money into it i will have a nice car to last a good while. The car has 115,000 miles and they guy wanted $4,200. It needs an ac compressor and an actuator. So i knew it needed some ac work as to why it was selling cheap, so i used some of the defects to my advantage and talked him down to that price. I still know this is nothing major in my opinion, the motor is sound the compression is perfect, no leaks and good exterior. It really just needs some tlc, and to fix this issue lol
Old 09-09-13, 11:55 AM
sw151143
Driver School Candidate

And I admit, Im no expert mechanic. Im sure you all could agree that if you can save some money by DIY then might as well. But I think you're right, I may just take it in for a diagnostic and see what happens from there. And by the way im not a teenage kid that just wants a "cool car" lol. I'm 28 with a wife and 2 kids and know these can be great cars. Just had to throw that out there lol. Thanks guys
Old 09-09-13, 11:58 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

I hope you fix your car then. Over the years, I have worked on many brands, but after owning a Lexus, Their tech is a bit more complicated or advanced then other brands IMO. I would say if you have problems fixing it, i would seek outside help from someone who knows these cars. For example, i had a friend who tried to fix something simple and in the process damaging his ABS sensor and at the end costing him more money then if he would have just taking it to the dealer or authorized service center. Good luck.
Old 09-09-13, 12:07 PM
sw151143
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, just got off the phone with my nearest Lexus dealer and i'll probably run it by there in the morning.
I'll keep you all updated

Quick Reply: So frustrated! First Lexus and horrible experience!!