GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Has anyone replaced their factory GS400 rear deck sub with a free air................

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-13, 06:18 PM
Scoopy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rome58
A couple pics of mines
HOW U DO DAT ???

Did you have to excavate massive amounts of back seat to give en enclosure big enough for that sub? It looks like if you went into the back seat there would be a magnet poking out of the center armrest

please let me know how you did the back side of that setup - unless I am looking at it upside dowm it looks like the sub is embedded into the vertical back seat foam area?

Thanks!
Old 09-12-13, 07:10 PM
mrrhr4
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have done the replacement of the stock sub! It was one of the best things ive done. Its a wicked fun project well i enjoyed it lol. But theres no rattle due to some sound dampering sheets for top and bottom metal rear seat lid. All the trunk room youve had which is amazing. Sounds great also. The sub i used was a Kicker Comp 10. Its 10" and is for free air Got it of amazon for like $50-$60. Ill give you the DIY i used!
Old 09-12-13, 07:10 PM
mrrhr4
Pole Position

How to remove back seats

http://bananags.grantham-internation...DIY/rear_deck/
Old 09-12-13, 07:15 PM
mrrhr4
Pole Position

Heres the DIY i used yay! Lol

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...nd-gen-gs.html
Old 09-12-13, 07:29 PM
rome58
Rookie

Originally Posted by Scoopy
HOW U DO DAT ???

Did you have to excavate massive amounts of back seat to give en enclosure big enough for that sub? It looks like if you went into the back seat there would be a magnet poking out of the center armrest

please let me know how you did the back side of that setup - unless I am looking at it upside dowm it looks like the sub is embedded into the vertical back seat foam area?

Thanks!
Actually it just a built to specs sealed sub box sitting on the upper part of the trunk with a trim piece made to the shape of the back of the trunk then screwed in to the box I should of took a pic of it before installing it I wasn't thinking only mod was getting that sub out (which was a pain in the A**)
Old 09-12-13, 07:44 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrrhr4
I have done the replacement of the stock sub! It was one of the best things ive done. Its a wicked fun project well i enjoyed it lol. But theres no rattle due to some sound dampering sheets for top and bottom metal rear seat lid. All the trunk room youve had which is amazing. Sounds great also. The sub i used was a Kicker Comp 10. Its 10" and is for free air Got it of amazon for like $50-$60. Ill give you the DIY i used!
You probably have the Kicker 10C104. Did u have to drill new holes?
Old 09-12-13, 07:57 PM
Scoopy
Rookie

Yo mrrhr4 very cool, nice stiffening and strengthening mod, nice! I was thinking about carefully layering wet fiberglass + resin all over the underneath of the metal deck 2 layers to stop rattle, thicken and strengthen... I am still torn as to whether I'd like to just install a 1.0 cu. ft. box on the ledge and tighten up the bass on the sub and still keep most of my trunk space.. but having that space underneath the sub sure is nice.

Space is one thing I never had to worry about with my Yukons and Yahoes. But..... they would not get 20mpg and still give me 300hp like my GS does - so I am not complaining!
Old 09-12-13, 08:46 PM
mrrhr4
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rgarjr
You probably have the Kicker 10C104. Did u have to drill new holes?
Yes thats the one! Also no i used the holes that appear once your remove the stock sub. So i used long bolts to go threw the top metal and threw the custom wood i cut and just put some washers and lock nuts on and by doing that it holds the peice of wood really tight to the metal.
Old 09-12-13, 08:50 PM
mrrhr4
Pole Position

Yo mrrhr4 very cool, nice stiffening and strengthening mod, nice! I was thinking about carefully layering wet fiberglass + resin all over the underneath of the metal deck 2 layers to stop rattle, thicken and strengthen... I am still torn as to whether I'd like to just install a 1.0 cu. ft. box on the ledge and tighten up the bass on the sub and still keep most of my trunk space.. but having that space underneath the sub sure is nice.

Space is one thing I never had to worry about with my Yukons and Yahoes. But..... they would not get 20mpg and still give me 300hp like my GS does - so I am not complaining!
The fiberglass is a good idea man. And the 1.0 cu. ft. Is a cool way to do it also! Or the free air way! But yes 2nd GS are the s***
Old 09-12-13, 10:01 PM
Scoopy
Rookie

Originally Posted by rome58
Actually it just a built to specs sealed sub box sitting on the upper part of the trunk with a trim piece made to the shape of the back of the trunk then screwed in to the box I should of took a pic of it before installing it I wasn't thinking only mod was getting that sub out (which was a pain in the A**)
It looks so much like the normal back of the trunk! I think it looks very original. Thumbs up !!
Old 09-13-13, 11:15 PM
rome58
Rookie

It looks so much like the normal back of the trunk! I think it looks very original. Thumbs up !!
Thanks!!!
Old 09-15-13, 08:38 PM
Scoopy
Rookie

Right on! The rest of my goodies show up tomorrow.. and Tuesday.. and Wednesday

Hurry up and wait

Thankfully there is a shop in town that carries Memphis audio (dealer) and they have the actual Oxy free copper wire for amp installs. Lots more expensive than copper coated aluminum of course but still less expensive than many of the pure copper options online.
Old 09-16-13, 01:02 PM
Scoopy
Rookie

Rant & rave time.... here it is Monday, so I checked on my amp order that I placed Last Thursday..... Newegg says: sorry nothing we can do to expedite, coming from a 3rd party (and has not shipped yet). So I looked up that 3rd party online through Newegg's page with the MB Quart amp (Onlinecarstereo.com) and called them to ask - if it hasn't shipped just yet, could I please pay them to expedite the shipping a bit:

OCS was very polite and told me that the amp was out of stock in THEIR warehouse as well and it was coming directly from MB Quart, but MB Quart had some delay as well and that it would not ship from MB Quart until this Wednesday. I thanked them for the information and help.

Then I got the bright Idea to call MB Quart and ask if I could pay THEM for expedited shipping (since it would be, by then, 6 days between the order date and the expected shipping date). I got snipped at & lectured by the receptionist for calling them directly - enough that I told her thank you and goodbye with her saying "NONONONO WAIT as I set the phone down. I wonder if MB Quart realizes the everyday impact that the "face of the company" has on its customers? I simply gave her a brief explanation of why I was calling and asked if I could pay to expedite the shipping process; but she was suddenly irritated with the MB quart dealer (OCS) that would dare share the information with me that the AMP was shipping from the MANUFACTURER?. How dare I ever contact them directly without spinning the consecrated wheel of speech and kneeling before them.

Sadly, many companies do no meaningful customer service training for their receptionists, who in fact should be highly specialized customer service representatives as well as receptionists. They are, after all, the very FIRST face of the company. I own a blending company myself and I jointly own an ag company with my pops, and we take great care to treat our customers correctly... and if I had another receptionist we'd make sure he/she had the incentive, training and skill to actually have a good day each day & treat people like they should be treated (to me that means good pay, good vacations and good training). As it is, my wife works for our company in that position, and she is a great financial manager/customer service person who is genuinely nice even when it hurts.

If you pay some PMSing maniac $8 an hour to be nice to customers you're gonna have a bad time. They will typically let you know how much they hate their job.

Moral of the story for me today: Shut up and wait, dummy.

Well......... I hope the amp works, I don't want to go through an RMA procedure after all this. I did get almost everything else... door speakers, toyota wiring harness, face kit, head unit, sub. Gotta go visit Farris and spend some bucks on copper today.

Well I sure feel better now. Time to go do more bodywork on the farm truck.

Scoops
Old 09-17-13, 08:06 PM
Scoopy
Rookie

Nice Statix - I'm going to check out Tru sounds good - lookin forward to those pics!

Well, I think my phone call shook something loose, all of a sudden my Friday delivery got bumped to overnight, early AM Wednesday delivery with signature. Just checked tracking - and that's the last piece of hardware to grace my doorstep. Got capacitor, box, doors spkrs, head unit, wiring etc etc etc.

That's awesome!

Just sealed the box corners on the ported box, and it's outside drying tonight... picked up RCS's and fuse blocks and all that jazz today... so I can get to gettin' and get some pics for y'all on this installation.
Old 09-18-13, 12:59 PM
rome58
Rookie

Wow what a runaround im glad all my amazon shipping is pretty smooth!!! Once you finally get it im sure it will be well worth the wait

Quick Reply: Has anyone replaced their factory GS400 rear deck sub with a free air................