GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Toyota dealer pushing injector cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-13, 05:03 PM
ntwrkguy1
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Toyota dealer pushing injector cleaner

I was at the local Toyota dealer getting an oil change on my '03 430, and of course, the service advisor (or whatever they call themselves) was trying to push anything and everything on me. I turned him down on everything but the oil change.

But I have noticed that my car seems to be a little sluggish off the line. Gas mileage hasn't really been affected, but it just seems like there's a slight stumble between 15 and 25mph or so. It's not a miss as much as it feels almost like turbo lag (if that makes sense).

The car has 151k on it, and I've always kept up with all of the maintenance including new Iridium plugs around the 110k mark.

The dealer claimed they use the BG system, and it cleans injectors, plenum, and throttle body. He claimed that it's different than just dumping a can of BG44K (or any other cleaner) into the tank, due to the fact that this process supposedly takes an hour to complete.

Anyone have any experience with this process? I would have thought that since our cars burn premium fuel, any buildup in the injectors/TB would be minimal.
Old 09-04-13, 10:28 PM
Arcadian
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Inj Clean

When I worked at a GM dealer, we did similar (if not the same) and it did make a small difference in driveability and fuel mileage. It was a small difference, as modern FI cars run so good for so long. I'd say it's legit, but not dramatic, and not something you'd do more than 2-3 times in the life of the car. Don't hate on the GM, they have very good engineering under the hood.
Old 09-05-13, 04:23 AM
ntwrkguy1
Pole Position

Oh, no hating on GM here -- my wife's Suburban is closing in on 200,000 miles, and still runs very strong.

Thanks for the info -- I almost wonder if I'm better off running a bottle of Seafoam through it on consecutive tanks to get the same results. The dealer wanted $170 for this service -- that's a LOT of Seafoam!
Old 09-05-13, 05:55 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

I've heard if people using the BK stuff with good results.. For $7.99 try the seafoam... IT should make some improvement with idling and running properly.. With that many miles you should feel a difference with the seafoam.. Add it to the PVC vacuum line and gas tank..
Old 09-05-13, 06:34 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1
Oh, no hating on GM here -- my wife's Suburban is closing in on 200,000 miles, and still runs very strong.

Thanks for the info -- I almost wonder if I'm better off running a bottle of Seafoam through it on consecutive tanks to get the same results. The dealer wanted $170 for this service -- that's a LOT of Seafoam!
The active cleaning agent for fuel injectors is PEA. You want a cleaner that has a lot of that in it. Stay away from BG44K. They removed the PEA cleaning agent the last time I looked at their product. The service that they are trying to sell you is BS and you don't need it. The current over the counter cleaners to purchase with PEA is Chevron Techron FI Cleaner, Gumout Regane, 3M FI cleaner, and Redline FI cleaner. These are the best products to use TRUST ME. If you still don't belive me, google those products and read real user reviews yourself. I typically use Chevron Techron FI cleaner every 6 months to keep everything clean, along with using quality 93 gas. You can find it at AZ or AA for BOGO's all the time. If you never have used a real FI cleaner before, I would suggest using doing a back to back treatment through two full tanks to break down the carbon deposits. I work in the Petroleum industry, so I know what I'm talking about
Old 09-05-13, 06:38 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Originally Posted by tmf2004
I've heard if people using the BK stuff with good results.. For $7.99 try the seafoam... IT should make some improvement with idling and running properly.. With that many miles you should feel a difference with the seafoam.. Add it to the PVC vacuum line and gas tank..
I question people doing this because if you don't know exactly what you are doing, you can easily hydrolock the engine. I've seen it done before.
Old 09-05-13, 07:37 AM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^ So have I. Just go with the Chevron Techron FI cleaner. Get two bottles if need to. I've used it and I swear my fuel sending unit got more accurate and gas mileage increased by 1-2mpgs
Old 09-05-13, 10:39 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Originally Posted by repugnante
^ So have I. Just go with the Chevron Techron FI cleaner. Get two bottles if need to. I've used it and I swear my fuel sending unit got more accurate and gas mileage increased by 1-2mpgs
Exactly. Some of the best stuff out there and it's easy to obtain. Every 6 months treatment along with using quality gas is the key for clean injectors.
Old 09-05-13, 10:47 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

I usually use Chevron my self and also Seafoam... Sam's has the 4pk of Chevron for $19.99
Old 09-05-13, 07:00 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Yeah if they're charging you big bucks just go the Techron route. I have used this stuff over the years and it's one of the few cleaners that works as advertised. GM uses this too under the AC Delco/GM Fuel System Cleaner Plus name.

I couldn't get it in Canada so I had to pay the $25/bottle at the GM dealer but the parts guy there told me he worked at a Chryco dealer before that and they used it during routine maintenance, and recommeded it highly.

Luckily you can find it on Ebay for $10 - 12/bottle.
Old 09-06-13, 10:40 AM
ntwrkguy1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GokuSSJ3
The active cleaning agent for fuel injectors is PEA. You want a cleaner that has a lot of that in it. Stay away from BG44K. They removed the PEA cleaning agent the last time I looked at their product. The service that they are trying to sell you is BS and you don't need it. The current over the counter cleaners to purchase with PEA is Chevron Techron FI Cleaner, Gumout Regane, 3M FI cleaner, and Redline FI cleaner. These are the best products to use TRUST ME. If you still don't belive me, google those products and read real user reviews yourself. I typically use Chevron Techron FI cleaner every 6 months to keep everything clean, along with using quality 93 gas. You can find it at AZ or AA for BOGO's all the time. If you never have used a real FI cleaner before, I would suggest using doing a back to back treatment through two full tanks to break down the carbon deposits. I work in the Petroleum industry, so I know what I'm talking about

Thanks for the feedback. Costco actually sells a 6pack of Chevron Techron for around $18-$20, so I'll buy that and just keep using it until it's gone.

That's interesting info about BG44K -- I had heard pretty good things about that a few years ago. I'll be sure to skip that one, although I never see it on the retail shelves of the parts stores I shop at.
Old 09-07-13, 05:10 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Redline Si-1 is the only product I would consider using. Sold at Pepboys. Excellent results
Old 09-07-13, 05:30 AM
Natey2
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

What was your improvement in mpg after the treatment with Chevron Techron?
Old 09-07-13, 08:28 AM
SprtDesign
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going to also go with Chevron FI cleaner as I can pick it up at costco. I run 89 as I drive a lot and run through about a tank a week. I currently clocking my mileage per tank and see it the injection cleaning will make a difference.
Old 09-07-13, 10:00 AM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GokuSSJ3
I've heard mixed things about when to add this to your tank.. I've read after you fill up or put it in on half tank or an empty tank THEN fill up as soon as you put it in,so what is the correct process in doing this? I always added it after filling up my tank.

Quick Reply: Toyota dealer pushing injector cleaner