GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Rear wheel bearing replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-13, 12:13 AM
333arod333
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear wheel bearing replacement

I have a weird whurring/howling sound coming from the driver's side of the car.

So last year in the fall, I changed the front driver's side wheel bearing. The sound became quieter, but wasn't completely eliminated.

I noticed that on the highway, over 75-80 MPH, the vehicle has a sort of wheel hop or shaking. Overall, with the humming sound coming from the wheel it is much louder and poorer of a ride than a Lexus should be. The sound seems like it is coming from the rear now.

Does this sound like a wheel bearing is truly the culprit of my issues? The car has new tires, freshly balanced. It also has fresh rear differential fluid. I have read something about centering rings or something like that that I might need. Is that something that we have on here stock or is that just an aftermarket rim thing?

Is there a write-up on the rear wheel bearing replacement anywhere? Or should I just do what I did for the front wheel bearing?

Thank you folks.
Old 08-13-13, 10:09 AM
333arod333
Driver School Candidate

Anyone? Maybe a diy on rear wheel bearing?
Old 08-13-13, 01:13 PM
vipXjunky
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

jack up the rear and see if the rear wheels have any wiggle play...shake it up and down and side to side...our wheel bearings needs to be pressed in, so that's probably why we don't have a DIY. Its actually straight foward...just remove the rotors to get to the hub, then remove the whole hub, take it to a shop that can press your new bearings in and that's that...good luck.
Old 08-13-13, 05:13 PM
333arod333
Driver School Candidate

Awesome thanks for the help. I didn't know that shaking the wheel like that is a test for wheel bearings. I guess I'll give it a shot. Any other diagnosing I can do? Could it be anything else other than the wheel bearings? I can't think what else it could be...
Old 08-13-13, 09:47 PM
vipXjunky
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The humming can be bearings or tires... Are you on aftermarket rims or stock? Ride height? Can u feel the shake On the steering wheel?
Old 08-17-13, 06:38 AM
StarkoS14
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it could also be your rear knuckle bushings where it connects the lca.. you can buy a replacement overseas or on ebay.
Old 08-17-13, 10:33 AM
tom steele
Lead Lap

I dont think so but you need a press I had to do mine and there not the easy to get out!!! I BUILT a home made press wish I had a real press like I have now lol get the knuckle off and take it to a shop and have them press your old bearing out and the new one in
Old 08-17-13, 12:23 PM
333arod333
Driver School Candidate

Stock rims and ride height. Tires new and balanced. I guess u could say I have a slight steering wheel shake but it's really more of a light up and down hop at high speeds that I can feel the car actually hopping a bit . The noise gets louder the faster I'm going. How do I check those knuckle bushings and would they make that humming noise? I'm going to jack up car and check for wheel play now...
Old 08-17-13, 12:54 PM
333arod333
Driver School Candidate

So I jacked up the rear on both sides and checked for play in the wheel. No movement whatsoever in any direction. Now I don't know whats going on. I can't really see the knuckle to lca bushings as they are covered up but would those even be exhibiting these symptoms?

I'm pretty sure that I hear the noise on the rear drivers side when driving around, so should I just replace those bushings and bearing? It is a bit pricey but not too bad.

Anything else it could be? The axles, differential, tires not balanced properly?
Old 08-17-13, 10:31 PM
StarkoS14
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 333arod333
Stock rims and ride height. Tires new and balanced. I guess u could say I have a slight steering wheel shake but it's really more of a light up and down hop at high speeds that I can feel the car actually hopping a bit . The noise gets louder the faster I'm going. How do I check those knuckle bushings and would they make that humming noise? I'm going to jack up car and check for wheel play now...
i kinda just ignored the 2nd post and went back to the first one.. try tightening up your steering rack. theres a write up on cl somewhere.. but it just sounds like you have play in the rack. theres a massive nut around a massive allen screw just below where the steering column attaches to the rack. loosen, turn the screw clockwise about 1/8 turn(I used something like a 5/8 hex bolt and nut with a wrench to tighten the screw) and then secured it back up. make sure your alignment is solid too. btw, firestone lifetime alignment is so clutch when it comes to these cars.. haha
Old 08-19-13, 09:51 PM
333arod333
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by StarkoS14
i kinda just ignored the 2nd post and went back to the first one.. try tightening up your steering rack. theres a write up on cl somewhere.. but it just sounds like you have play in the rack. theres a massive nut around a massive allen screw just below where the steering column attaches to the rack. loosen, turn the screw clockwise about 1/8 turn(I used something like a 5/8 hex bolt and nut with a wrench to tighten the screw) and then secured it back up. make sure your alignment is solid too. btw, firestone lifetime alignment is so clutch when it comes to these cars.. haha
Nah that wouldn't explain the humming/whurring sound with increased speed. When at low speed there is very slight sound and when at high speed it is much louder. The sound is now coming from the rear, especially since I changed the front driver's side bearing last year. Should I just suck it up and buy the rear bearing or is there something else that could be the culprit?
Old 08-20-13, 10:22 AM
StarkoS14
Pole Position

dude, look into the rear carrier bushing like i was talking about before. if its shot, it will cause a similar feeling
Old 08-22-13, 09:46 AM
pwesseler
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 333arod333
So I jacked up the rear on both sides and checked for play in the wheel. No movement whatsoever in any direction. Now I don't know whats going on.
It could still be the bearing, despite the lack of slop. I would replace it and go from there.

Last edited by pwesseler; 08-27-13 at 06:08 AM.
Old 08-24-13, 06:52 PM
333arod333
Driver School Candidate

Just ordered the bearing. Will replace and follow up. Thanks CL
Old 08-27-13, 07:40 PM
333arod333
Driver School Candidate

Ok so the wheel bearing came in the mail and I will install it as soon as I get a chance. Seems pretty easy but I never like to go in there blind.

Can anyone please post the section in the service manual that addresses this install procedure? I want to be sure of the torque values on everything and what order to do things in.

Or better yet, does anyone have a link or pdf of the service manual? I tried and couldn't find one anywhere for free.

Thank you CL!

Quick Reply: Rear wheel bearing replacement