GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Power Steering Leak - High Pressure release valve

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-13, 01:10 PM
dcz
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Power Steering Leak - High Pressure release valve

Hey guys,

A few years ago I had a problem with the power steering fluid leaking out of the high pressure release valve on the top front right of the power steering pump. Its the circular metal valve about the size of a quarter.

When I previously found the problem the first time, I ended up just replacing the pump myself with an OEM pump. I am pretty experienced as far as changing parts on cars, and know it was done correctly. In short, It ended up being the valve attached to the vacuum lines on the bottom side when all was said and done. The IACV I believe. We all know that's an expensive part, so I was definitely gentle when putting it back on.

Well, Today I noticed a whine coming from the dreaded power steering pump again, and surely its coming from the release valve. I HIGHLY doubt its due to a faulty IACV again, and the pump has very low miles on it, so I really doubt it was that also. Does anyone have any ideas? I didn't notice any loose vacuum lined anywhere, as I looked all over.

I have searched on the subject and written a good bit about this in the past, but this is new to me and any assistance would be appreciated!

Thanks
Old 07-28-13, 03:17 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The screen in the p/s tank likes to come loose partially clogging the line causing thes very thing you describe.
Old 07-29-13, 07:25 PM
dcz
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I put my car up on my lift tonight and found out some stuff... Also brought a lot together... I figured I would share because it seriously will help a ton of people....

You can look at my posts and see the extent of what I have personally repaired and taken off my car. Timing belt twice, alternator, power steering pump, valve cover gaskets, full suspension swap, pulled the dash to change evaporator and heater core and put a full new AC system on the car.... needless to say, I feel like I have have good experience with the car.

Something that has been a severe problem with the GS 400 / LS 400 and SC 400 motors is the location of the high pressure release valve on a power steering pump. It turns out, that if there is just a minor defect in the power steering system, the fluid (automatic transmission fluid/power steering fluid) will drip on the alternator and blow all underneath your car.

The reason this is important because it ruins the integrity of the voltage system throughout the car... Lately I have become so tired of my Check engine light (CEL) being on, I was ready to sell the car.... I have had the "Brake, VSC, VSC off" lights come on and was told many things, but almost all were incorrect except that the ECU in our cars/all cars are all based usually off of voltage ranges....

When the power steering pump leaks due to a failing seal, or simply because of a broken hose, or whatever, always check this before throwing money into fixing what codes the car is showing.... Lately, my car had been going into limp mode and not cranking up. My transmission would become hard to shift, and my VSC, VSC off and CEL light would be on.... I never fixed anything about the car, but what I did do is clean off the corrosion on my terminals and not really play my system as hard (factory) and not have the AC on max with all my lights on while sitting in traffic, and I haven't had any issues.... I threw the typical codes about the Throttle position sensor and that whole bunch, but since I changed my habits its been fine...

Recently I have had problems with my power steering pump spilling out fluid on my alternator again from the high pressure release valve.... I inspected the pump, vacuum lines, hoses, tank, rack and pinion and there were no leaks... However; upon doing some research I believe my rack and pinion is indeed warn.... I have had heavier wider wheels on the front of my car for over 100k miles. By doing this, it puts excess strain on the system, in which I believe is causing a bottle neck in the system causing the overflow.... Its so bad its to the point my car will nearly shut off when my steering wheel is turned at idle... I am going to remove all the parts this weekend and fix/clean it all up. I am willing to bet this is the cause of many peoples problems with the crazy codes/limp modes.... Not necessarily the rack and pinion, but the spillage on the alternator...

Wish me luck and I will report in... If It doesn't work I may just drop an LSX in it with a 6 speed and ride out on some locals... haha..
Old 11-09-13, 03:15 PM
2eXceL
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for posting this issue regarding how the GS Power Steering pump ruins the Alternator. I have recently started noticing my battery low and having to charge it up if I dont drive very far or very hard. I began to think that I had a bad battery, its only 1 year old but I figured it was defective. Since when I would run the car for over 15 minutes it would restart fine with no issues. But if I drove it very short trips the car battery would be drained.
Then I remembered I had a LS400 with the Power Steering leak that would ruin the Alternator. I opened the hood and took a look at the Alternator and could see it was half soaked in Power Steering fluid.
Looks like I am going to have to get a new Alternator and a new Power Steering pump...
Old 11-09-13, 03:36 PM
MasterKwan
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All the parts are available for the pump from Lexus including a rebuild/reseal kit. A new one is just shy of $500 and the solenoid that plugs into it is another $500.

I'd probably rebuild it before I replaced it.