GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

LOUD CLICKING NOISE when hopping in car...?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-15, 10:39 AM
rwheelz
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is not the brake shields. I have replaced every rubber bushing in the car now except the motor/trans mounts and those will be in next week. Still clicks the first time I sit down in it when cold!
Old 02-13-15, 01:49 PM
KeyKeeper
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think you fellas are chasing your tail. Does it do it if the car is parked on a decline/incline? If not, then I wouldnt be surprised if its nothing more than the parking paw in the transmission going full lock when you sit down. its common for the drive shaft to rotate a very small amount when you sit in the car. If the paw isnt fully engaged into the lock collar inside the trans, it seats fully when the rotation occurs. Before you get in the car, try pushing the car forward/reverse and see if it makes the same noise. I may be wrong, but my GS used to do this till I moved and now park on an incline. Just my .02c
Old 02-14-15, 09:41 AM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DMPesso
So my mechanic told me it couldn't be the brakes because it happens when I hop in and if it was the brakes it would happen while braking which made sense to me so I went ahead and replaced the ball joints because he said it had to be that. Turns out it WASN'T! Still makes that damn clicking noise which makes me really think its something with the calipers or pads moving when I hop in because I noticed the car moves and could put pressure on the calipers when I sit. But my ball joints were shot after only 30k so I guess anyone who experiences a ****ty ride and feeling more bumps then usual change your ball joints even if you changed them already. It seems they need to be changed like every 30k if not sooner depending on the roads. Very bad for a Lexus to have such a weak spot!
Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. That happen to my for 3 months may my crazy the sound. But I fix the problem believe me with $3.00. With brake grease. YESSSSSSSSSSSS with brake grease. Is your pins on your front calipers. Both pigs. Need new grease and maybe a new pins grease coves. Try that and let me know. Advance have for $1.50 each small pack and the small pack is purple color. The way that I found out that was when I pup my hand on the calipers and try to moves the calipers and the very small sound show up. I take the calipers pins out and was dry and the grease that was left came out like powder ( DRY, DRY, DRY) The job is like 20 minutes to do and I know you can do by your self and you can see later that the sound problem goes away. If you want to buy a few more pack of brake grease and go safe because recently the passenger side caliper started again with the sound and I put more grease and the sound go away. Try that please and let me know.
Old 02-15-15, 12:06 PM
rwheelz
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Although it is highly likely that we are all reporting similar, but different, clicks, mine is definitely not coming from the brakes. After laying on the ground I have confirmed it is coming from the center of the car underneath. You only get one shot to check it each time the car is cold and the ground is suitable, but with two people, you can hear that it seems to come from the transmission or driveshaft.