GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

How long for a special order?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-03, 12:39 AM
galileopan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long for a special order?

I ordered a GS430 from Lexus of Stevens Creek (in San Jose) in November. The saleswoman left mid-transaction and the sales manager keeps assuring me it has been ordered and he'll call me in "a day, or two at the most" with info about how long it'll be. Every 3 weeks or so I try calling again since he never calls back and he says "oh, the rep just hasn't gotten back to me. It's ordered, don't worry". They're sitting on a small deposit.

When I first asked about ordering, they said "we generally quote 3 months". When I actually ordered, they said "oh, it shouldn't take as long as 3 months". When I asked the Lexus 800 number folks, they said "4-6 months".

The only thing special about this car is the color (black cherry pearl). The lack of rear spoiler and alloy 17s instead of chrome should be no big deal. Otherwise, it's got the ML + Nav that they like to build 'em all with. Can anybody give any clues as to when I might actually see this car? How long does it usually take for special orders?
Old 01-09-03, 12:53 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

it should take 4 to 6 months. MOST OF THE TIME it's 4 months
Old 01-09-03, 06:46 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Lightbulb

Romini, I beg to differ. My first special order took 3 months and my second one 4 (but I changed interior colors after 2 weeks). In both cases the dealer stated it ordinarily was a 3 month process. The reason that the change order took 4 is because the process is to CANCEL the original order and REORDER the car (bizarre!), essentially resetting the clock.

galileopan, the sales mgr is the individual who sends the special orders in to Lexus so, if he says the order was done, I'd give him the benefit of a doubt. He'll likely call you in a few days to let you know it's either on the boat or at POE. That's a gorgeous color, btw!! Congratulations!!
Old 01-09-03, 06:40 PM
Ex996
Lead Lap

try CarsDirect.com. They'll search all of the dealers and maybe find one, but it would probably have a spoiler. I ordered mine in the morning and picked it up at lunch, at 6K off sticker!
Old 01-10-03, 07:18 PM
galileopan
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, but there are three things that no GS430 in the country has:
1. Alloy (instead of chrome) 17" wheels
2. No spoiler.

Neither of these things are a huge deal, but it bugs me to pay over $2K for things I don't even like the looks of.

3. Black cherry paint. This is the big reason I'm special ordering. According to 1-800-Lexus, there's been exactly one black cherry GS430 imported into the US in the last 9 months, with none planned for the future. Virtually all the GS430s imported are one of those white, black, silver, grey, off-white, off-silver, etc. neutral colors that are the currently popular luxury car paints. I want a *color* color :-)

It's about time for another phone call.
Old 01-10-03, 10:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by galileopan
Thanks, but there are three things that no GS430 in the country has:
1. Alloy (instead of chrome) 17" wheels
2. No spoiler.

Neither of these things are a huge deal, but it bugs me to pay over $2K for things I don't even like the looks of.

3. Black cherry paint. This is the big reason I'm special ordering. According to 1-800-Lexus, there's been exactly one black cherry GS430 imported into the US in the last 9 months, with none planned for the future. Virtually all the GS430s imported are one of those white, black, silver, grey, off-white, off-silver, etc. neutral colors that are the currently popular luxury car paints. I want a *color* color :-)

It's about time for another phone call.
i don't know about the wheels, but i am sure you can get gs430 with no spoiler. an ex member, racingaristo, he has a 01 gs430 i believe, and it has no spoiler
Old 01-17-03, 07:01 PM
galileopan
Driver School Candidate

Default Aha -- dealer called

The dealer now says production in Feb, delivery early March. I originally tried to order the car in late Oct, got an agreement to order it in early Nov. So I guess that's 4 months if it gets here when promised.

I'm in the weird position of having given a salesperson who's no longer there a $500 deposit for them to order the car. I have a receipt for the money, but never made any commitment to actually buy the car when it gets here because the salesman left without ever negotiating price. They now keep saying "oh, we'll give you a good price" and putting off negotiation. So if I don't like the price we end up with, I'm free to take my deposit and walk, leaving them with a special ordered car to sell. Based on the other price noises they're making though, I don't think that'll be necessary (and no, I don't plan to threaten them with this to push the price down).

Went to the SJ auto show and picked up a "make your best deal at any local dealer and then take another $100 off" coupon and sat in a bunch of other cars. Even more convinced I picked the right car. Trying not to get impatient...
Old 01-17-03, 07:08 PM
Ex996
Lead Lap

I don't know, man. Doesn't really sound like a good spot for you to be in. Of course, they're going to "puppydog" you- put that squirming little puppy in your arms and you'll NEVER want to let go. That's when they "gotcha!"
Old 01-17-03, 11:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

well it's tough. i would definitely try to negotiate with them now before wasting my time is waiting for a car that i won't get
Old 01-18-03, 08:02 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

I agree; you really need to negotiate price NOW. Did that with both my special orders beforehand. Too easy to have that big child inside your head start screaming "WANTITWANTITWANTIT" when it gets here; the dealer knows that, too, and is counting on it as a little additional sales help........get on the phone and nail 'em down!!!
Old 01-18-03, 11:18 PM
Ex996
Lead Lap

Originally posted by mooretorque
I agree; you really need to negotiate price NOW. Did that with both my special orders beforehand. Too easy to have that big child inside your head start screaming "WANTITWANTITWANTIT" when it gets here; the dealer knows that, too, and is counting on it as a little additional sales help........get on the phone and nail 'em down!!!
Good input as usual, MooreT.
Old 01-20-03, 06:15 AM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is my understanding from what i've experienced.

a special order is actually not a special order. lexus dealers don't forward purchase orders to some magical guy in japan to have something made just for one of us.

japan sends boatloads of lexus' our way and the "special order" is simply dibs on a vehicle that matches the requests of a customer. sometimes the big dealers get it, or sometimes the poor little dealers have priority, depends on something i don't know about.

regardless, i hope the manager is at least being honest with you instead of yanking your around as my manager did with me. good luck in your quest for the black cherry