GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Need new transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-13, 12:36 PM
KennedyN
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need new transmission?

Whats up CL i have a 01 gs300 and have been experiencing some issues with it not running correctly, been searching for over a month and couldnt find the problem so I took it to my local mechanic, Hes telling me a need a new transmission. The car bogs real bad and doesnt have any type of acceleration, I checked the fluid dip stick for the transmission and it is dark black. When I am driving the car the car will rev all the way to 3k 4k rpm then suddenly shift. Mention you i cant drive anywhere over 40 miles. Could this be all signs of a bad transmission. I dont want to throw any money in it if thats not the case. And another thing do you think itll be hard to swap out the transmission by myself. Thank you.
Old 06-10-13, 01:19 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Flush the tranny fluid out through the cooler lines and see how she does. Filter may be clogged though if the fluid is that nasty.
Old 06-10-13, 03:37 PM
KennedyN
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by burny
Flush the tranny fluid out through the cooler lines and see how she does. Filter may be clogged though if the fluid is that nasty.
Will do, ill get to that this weekend when I take the car out the shop, where are there cooler lines located ?
Thanks for the help
Old 06-10-13, 04:17 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

bottom of radiator on your car. lift the passenger side hose off and put it in a bucket and have someone start car for about 3-4 seconds. if nothing comes out, put that hose back and try the other side. Can't remember which side it is. You will get about 3 quarts out each time. measure them and put that much new fluid back in the fill tube(orange) for the tranny. Repeat this until fluid comes out cherry red(new) and then replace the fluid you got out. Remember to measure each time until it is coming out cherry red. once you have replaced the amount you removed, then run car to operating temp is reached and shift through your gears slowly including reverse. With engine running and in park check dipstick marks to get the level correct. Pretty easy to do but use a helper. I used about 14 quarts on my 02 gs300 the couple of times I have done it. Forget the filter for now, that is a different animal. get toyota t-IV fluid. Don't overfill.
Old 06-10-13, 04:28 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Do a drain and refill and see where it goes.

If you do a full flush it can do more damage than good.
Old 06-10-13, 04:48 PM
KennedyN
Driver School Candidate

bottom of radiator on your car. lift the passenger side hose off and put it in a bucket and have someone start car for about 3-4 seconds. if nothing comes out, put that hose back and try the other side. Can't remember which side it is. You will get about 3 quarts out each time. measure them and put that much new fluid back in the fill tube(orange) for the tranny. Repeat this until fluid comes out cherry red(new) and then replace the fluid you got out. Remember to measure each time until it is coming out cherry red. once you have replaced the amount you removed, then run car to operating temp is reached and shift through your gears slowly including reverse. With engine running and in park check dipstick marks to get the level correct. Pretty easy to do but use a helper. I used about 14 quarts on my 02 gs300 the couple of times I have done it. Forget the filter for now, that is a different animal. get toyota t-IV fluid. Don't overfill.
Will do I really appreciate it!
Old 08-11-13, 06:53 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

did you drain and fill only or flush the whole thing?

how is the transmission running now?
Old 08-12-13, 07:11 AM
wise2k
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How is this better than just draining through the transmission pan..? Just curious because I think the transmission pan method is easier because you don't have to first remove the plastic cover that's under the car/engine.
Old 08-12-13, 08:42 AM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Exactly, doing a flush seems more dangerous. Just do multiple drain and fills over and over until the trans. fluid comes out red.
Old 09-03-13, 06:14 AM
iamkhanz
Lead Lap

Any update on this? Also is toyota t-iv fluid necessary? Anyone use fluid from autozone? Reason why I ask is car at shop and it be easier for them to get fluid from parts store..but if t4 fluid is only fluid I will ask them to use it.
Old 09-03-13, 07:43 AM
bigegg
Driver

T-IV fluid *IS* neccessary.
Doesn't have to be from Toyota tho.
JWS -3309 is the same stuff - any oil that is compatible with those, or the (newer) toyota WS will be OK.
DON'T be talked into using Dextron II or III

Before doing the cooler line flush, empty and refill the oil pan (via the drain plug) - you'll save about 3 or 4 qts of ATF that way.
Old 09-03-13, 11:35 AM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Originally Posted by KennedyN
Whats up CL i have a 01 gs300 and have been experiencing some issues with it not running correctly, been searching for over a month and couldnt find the problem so I took it to my local mechanic, Hes telling me a need a new transmission. The car bogs real bad and doesnt have any type of acceleration, I checked the fluid dip stick for the transmission and it is dark black. When I am driving the car the car will rev all the way to 3k 4k rpm then suddenly shift. Mention you i cant drive anywhere over 40 miles. Could this be all signs of a bad transmission. I dont want to throw any money in it if thats not the case. And another thing do you think itll be hard to swap out the transmission by myself. Thank you.
Did you get this resolved? Where in TX are you?
Old 09-04-13, 03:02 AM
bigegg
Driver

The logic behind it is that a drain and refill will dislodge bits of crud which can then jam up the transmission.

I believe this is only true if you use a high pressure machine to force the fluid out.

If you do the "cooler line" drain, using only the pump which is on the transmission, this is not likely to happen, so is much safer.

IMO!
Old 09-04-13, 06:15 AM
wbmx1981
Advanced

I did what this guy in the video did and I cleaned my solenoid didnt even replace it just sprayed it down REAL good. Car runs AWESOME! Fresh ATF = New Car Feel.

Old 09-04-13, 08:32 AM
bigegg
Driver

sprayed it down with?

Quick Reply: Need new transmission?