GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

19" g37s wheels on 01 gs300

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-13, 11:25 PM
BLiSsTeX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 19" g37s wheels on 01 gs300

Im new to the site and ive utilized the search option and still have not been able to figure out what i need to do.. I recently bought an 01 gs3 from a friend of mine for pretty cheap. $3k to be exact, the first order was to change the wheels because the 16's dont suit my taste, i came across a BRAND NEW set of staggered 19" 2013 g37s blk chrome look wheels and i had to have them..
Mind you when i had the stock wheels on the car rode like a dream, smoothest ride ive ever experienced, now when i put the g37's on, i get a shake at 60mph and up.. i searched and saw that theres various solutions to this issue like tightening the steering rack, and the othe million possible issues it could be but since i experienced this after replacing the wheels i figured its related to them somehow.. im not sure if its safe to be driving around with the steering wheel shaking like this, it could destroy all the front end bushings etc so i am looking for direction.
Ive wanted this car ever since i saw the Money Power Respect video and jumped at the opportunity to get one especially for this price. anyhow im pretty sure someone else may have had the same issues, or even made a thread in regards to this but i cant seem to figure out how to navigate the site
Hopefully one of u techs can steer me in the right direction as to what i need to do, ive read about hubcentric rings etc, but there seems to be alot of speculation on the sizes, then the lugnuts , where to get them etc and being that im a Nissan head and this is my 1st and last Lexus, i cant grasp the terminology used for these cars.. again all help would be greatly appreciated.. Btw, the car looks SICK with the wheels on.. Mind u these are brand new wheels and tires.

Last edited by BLiSsTeX; 04-21-13 at 12:32 AM.
Old 04-20-13, 11:30 PM
5t341th
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

wheel balance is the easiest solution you can do first
Old 04-20-13, 11:32 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

wheel balance, hub rings.
Old 04-20-13, 11:33 PM
BLiSsTeX
Driver School Candidate

i already checked the wheel balance, they were all zero'd out, and where do i get these hubcentric rings exactly? do i have to order them online or can i get them from autozone or something like that?
Old 04-21-13, 01:49 AM
Clear2Cloz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BLiSsTeX
ive read about hubcentric rings etc, but there seems to be alot of speculation on the sizes
Those wheels cleared the hub?

And yes, you do need hubcentric rings being the bore on the infiniti hub is 66.06mm...they will wobble like a biatch The 2GS has a bore of 60.01mm so the size you need is: outside diameter is 66.06mm and inside diameter is 60.01mm. There are 100's of places online you can buy them from.

No speculation, its an exact siz you need. Post pics

Last edited by Clear2Cloz; 04-21-13 at 02:03 AM.
Old 04-21-13, 02:37 AM
SprtDesign
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ahhh the dreaded 60-80 MPH shake. I still got it like a bad STD. I've done everything besides replace the steering rack and tightening it.

My last options are:
New Rotors
On the car high speed balance.

With the stock 16's rides like glass. The GS for some reason is very **** about wheel fitment and spot on balancing. There was no toleration built in for error.

If I can get this solved i'de love the car all over again.
Old 04-21-13, 04:47 AM
puff
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Clear2Cloz
Those wheels cleared the hub?

And yes, you do need hubcentric rings being the bore on the infiniti hub is 66.06mm...they will wobble like a biatch The 2GS has a bore of 60.01mm so the size you need is: outside diameter is 66.06mm and inside diameter is 60.01mm. There are 100's of places online you can buy them from.

No speculation, its an exact siz you need. Post pics
What he said. You can find those rings on eBay.
Old 04-21-13, 06:34 AM
Longchampe
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any wheel shop should also be able to get the rings for you.
Old 04-21-13, 08:24 AM
BLiSsTeX
Driver School Candidate

Idk why it's not letting me upload pictures, keeps saying upload failed, I tried for my phone and from the laptop. I'm trying to source these things locally as I don't want to use my credit card. In case I need to what sites can I find them on and I'm leaning towards aluminum ones because I read that the plastic ones melt and break sometimes. Btw, u guys sure on that size cuz I read that ppl were getting 67.0 instead of 66.1 or something like that
Old 04-21-13, 10:10 AM
BlownGS400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TI II
Ahhh the dreaded 60-80 MPH shake. I still got it like a bad STD. I've done everything besides replace the steering rack and tightening it.

My last options are:
New Rotors

With the stock 16's rides like glass. The GS for some reason is very **** about wheel fitment and spot on balancing. There was no toleration built in for error.

TI II, you and I are in the same exact situation. The only thing I have not replaced is the steering rack (already tightened it). I am gonna do the rack next month.
Old 04-21-13, 12:54 PM
perry05g35
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Gents don't forget to have your alignment checked again. After I've balanced my tires and I still get the shakes I take the car to get it aligned and problem is solved every time...
Old 04-21-13, 12:59 PM
perry05g35
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

When I purchased a set of hubcentric rings for some 370Z wheels for my GS I couldn't find the exact spec but I got pretty close. There's a lot of discussion on the closest size and website to pick them up. You'll have to search the forums.
Old 04-21-13, 02:14 PM
KeyKeeper
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I suspect an alignment issue for sure. Upper control arm bushings might be sacked out as well.
Old 04-21-13, 05:09 PM
dMartin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TI II

My last options are:
New Rotors

I am in the exact same boat ... if I could drive it without the shake, I'd never consider another car!
Old 04-21-13, 05:10 PM
LexFather

What about putting Lexus wheels on a Lexus?

Quick Reply: 19" g37s wheels on 01 gs300