GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Too many problems, smh.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-13, 03:02 PM
mikobangz
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too many problems, smh.

Hey everyone. I'm always on ClubLexus just viewing things but I rarely post because I don't personally own a Lexus but a close friend of mine does. Long story short, she purchased a '98 Lexus GS400 from a private dealer, on the receipt the car is a 1998 Lexus GS400. Went to change the air filter in the car today and it has a 2JZ engine in it, ran the VIN number, the car is indeed a GS300 that's been badged as a GS400.

The front right lower ball joint broke while I was reversing the car into a parking spot, some of you might remember this thread.

When the car fell it supposedly ripped some wires which caused the ABS and VSC light to come on, the owner had a mechanic look at it and he said the wires are about $20 and he'll install them for free. When I went to get an oil change and tire rotation today I saw for the first time under the car. The front right tire has a bubble but I'm going to the Lexus dealership to get that replaced because it's a bad tire. The oil pan gasket I believe he said has a leak and I saw the oil was building up on the pan, and he also showed me where the transmission fluid has a very very slow leak onto the pan, which he will take care of as well once I get the tired replaced so he can do the oil change, rotation, and everything at once. Since I was not there to view the car when it was purchased I had no idea that the previous owner did not give two craps about the car. The front bumper was glued back to the fender and zip tied to avoid having to replace the two front fenders since the hole where the screw in the clip that's used to connect the bumper to the fender is broken.

Though this isn't my car I do treat it like my own, I make sure the owner stays on top of the maintenance and I will take time out of my day to make sure the proper maintenance is taken care of. Does anyone know how much it is to get two fenders for the front of a GS300 or if I can go to a junk yard and find these? The bumper screw is fine it's just the hole where it screws into the fender is broken. Also, can you sue someone if you have documentation that they supposedly sold you a GS400 but it turned out to be a GS300? Lastly, Midas wants $50 to check the codes to be certain it is a disconnected cord (the woman who owns the car says the mechanic told her the cords were ripped but I just want to be sure these are the only codes the car is throwing), how much does a code reader cost?

Thanks for reading my drawn out post. I feel bad for the car but it makes me want a Lexus GS that much more because even through the mistreatment the car is still running strong and holding on.
Old 03-27-13, 03:39 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I suggest you need to find a reliable mechanic cause you got a whole handful of things that need to be done.

Why are you going to midas if you already have a mechanic looking at it for and willing to change them for $20 (very good price to get anything professional service done) ?

If you want a second opinion, I would choose a mechanic based on if they specializes in at least japanese cars. Toyota would be better. This gives the best chance they have invested in Toyota specific training and tools.

An ODBII reader is relatively cheap. In the past Autozone would provide this service for free-or at least "sell" you the loaner reader which you would return for refund within 48hours when you were done with it. Not sure if they still do that, call to ask.
The problem is if the codes are actually something Lexus/Toyota specific and you need them read by the expensive toyota tool.

As for as a fender, the bodywork will be one aspect, but it will be the Paint Job that is going to cost you. Your car will look very bad if you just stick on junkyard parts from a different vehicle even if you have attached them properly.
You need to get to a body shop to get that estimated, but it maybe in the ballpark of 750 for each body panel/part you want to get repaired/painted. You can of course ask them also for a "so-so" job that will be cheaper.

If you can get by with just repair of the original parts, then that maybe a lot cheaper. Body shops have all kinds of techniques to repair/ reattach panels properly; but you need to get the car to the expert to take a look

Regarding the misrepresentation, you do have a case there. I suggest you research with your DMV and consumer protection groups for your state to find out your rights.
If the car is rebadged, you probably will not be able to prove it was intentional misrepresentation; but you still have a claim for the difference between what was advertised and what you got..

You may want to try to settle this first working directly with the dealer to renegotiate your sale, before calling in the lawyers. Come prepared with what the difference between gs3 and gs4 appraises for on kbb or edmunds, and that would be the top end of your request, or you could ask to completely reverse the sale.

Last edited by raytseng; 03-27-13 at 03:55 PM.
Old 03-27-13, 03:44 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

No places lend out code readers anymore. They will read the code for you in the parking lot though
Old 03-27-13, 04:47 PM
mikobangz
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply! I went to Midas because I don't believe the mechanic is an actual mechanic, I believe he is just a guy that works on cars and I don't really trust him in my opinion. I will allow him to change the wires to see if that fixes the lights on the car but outside of that, I'll stick to Midas because around here I can't seem to find a decent looking auto business.

As for the fender, I will see if the body shop near by can create another hole in which to move the screw and clip point to the side to have the bumper properly on the fender. That should save me having to go through the hassle of new fenders and paint jobs.

As for the misrepresentation, I will definitely check into that because I believe there should be some money refunded since it's the wrong model and was charged for the GS400 opposed to the GS300. Thanks for the assistance!