GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Frustrated Female

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-13, 09:21 PM
Phileshia
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Frustrated Female

I have a 02 GS 300. Was running fine but time for inspection. Went to mechanic who put it on machine. Machine said needs 2 upstream oxygen sensors. Bought them, plugs, wires, oil & filters. After mechanic goes under hood, he says I need valve cover gasket. Ok. Got that too. After work is complete. Car acts as if it wants to cut off (but sound like it's idleling very high), back fires (sounds like a very short horn blow when given some gas) and sputters (shakes terribly). Mechanic says wires damaged near coil due to hardening and cracking. Finally find parts 90980-11246 & 82998-12440 at toyota. Rewire and protect with lume but Car has NO PROGRESS! WHAT AM I LOOKING AT NOW?!?! HELP!!

Frustrated Phileshia!
Old 03-26-13, 09:30 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 744 Likes on 642 Posts

Sounds like you need a new mechanic. My suggestion take it to the dealer, and have them do an hours worth of diagnosis. Shouldn't be more then $100 bucks. Once they figure out what the issue is, then take it back to your mechanic and have him replace the part that need to be replaced.

There are two types of mechanics, 1: Is a part slapper, they don't take the time or do not have the skill to diagnose the problem, so they slap parts hoping to hit jack pot. 2: A good reliable mechanic will test the damaged part and only replace the parts needed.

Goodluck! and BTW this thread is in 3GS 02 Gs300 is 2GS
Old 03-26-13, 10:43 PM
onephatguy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ibidu1
Sounds like you need a new mechanic. My suggestion take it to the dealer, and have them do an hours worth of diagnosis. Shouldn't be more then $100 bucks. Once they figure out what the issue is, then take it back to your mechanic and have him replace the part that need to be replaced.

There are two types of mechanics, 1: Is a part slapper, they don't take the time or do not have the skill to diagnose the problem, so they slap parts hoping to hit jack pot. 2: A good reliable mechanic will test the damaged part and only replace the parts needed.

Goodluck! and BTW this thread is in 3GS 02 Gs300 is 2GS
Exactly what I was thinking. Take it to a Lexus dealer and have them look at it. Too bad this mechanic spent so much of your time and money.
Old 03-27-13, 06:40 AM
B4TM4N
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What brand/type Plugs and wires did he install? Also, he might not have installed the coils/wires in the correct order.
Also, is the check engine light coming on now?
Old 03-27-13, 07:26 AM
KeyKeeper
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I concur, sounds like the wires were not put on properly.
Old 03-27-13, 07:39 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 71 Posts

Wires were not put on right and I doubt that you purchased NGK or Denso due to cost. If the mechanic was this inept, I sure he told you to purchase bosch or some other american car plug to put in. what brand of 02 sensor did he use?
Old 04-01-13, 02:18 PM
Phileshia
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Wow! Thank you all for the responses. Yes I did buy NGKs, I try to buy only the best when it comes to Lexy. So heres the latest update: Mechanic went in and re-did everything. Car ran great for 30 miles Then... check engine light came on as well as VSC & VSC OFF light. Car sputters only at start-up and before coming to a complete stop, I accelerate. (Red light turns green type of thing). Any ideas what causes that?

Lexus Diagnostics...Here I Come!!
Old 04-01-13, 02:25 PM
Phileshia
Driver School Candidate

Again I Thank You All
Old 04-01-13, 02:33 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I think he got the plug wires crossed. Probably just 2, but it is easy to do on these cars with the in line 6
Old 04-01-13, 02:44 PM
Phileshia
Driver School Candidate

Oh by the way, The O2 sensors were Bosch.
Old 04-01-13, 03:04 PM
Phileshia
Driver School Candidate

My apologies... My son signed me up and I take it I'm posting in the wrong place??? How do I get to where I should be?
Old 04-01-13, 03:50 PM
kamikaze04
Driver

Yea. Get a new mechanic, he is screwing you over. Sounds like maybe he wired up the firing order incorrectly, could be a bad wire, bad coil pack, or plugs. O2 sensors and valve cover would have not cause that.
Old 04-02-13, 07:00 AM
B4TM4N
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Phileshia
Wow! Thank you all for the responses. Yes I did buy NGKs, I try to buy only the best when it comes to Lexy. So heres the latest update: Mechanic went in and re-did everything. Car ran great for 30 miles Then... check engine light came on as well as VSC & VSC OFF light. Car sputters only at start-up and before coming to a complete stop, I accelerate. (Red light turns green type of thing). Any ideas what causes that?

Lexus Diagnostics...Here I Come!!
I wonder how he re-did everything if he doesn't know the correct order for the wires!! He should probably get on this site and look at the Sticky for changing spark plugs on our cars

HERE IS A LINK TO THE CORRECT WIRE ORDER incase you want to print it out and give it to him to make sure he put yours in right: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/3745177-post65.html

Here is a thread to the DIY incase he wants to make sure he didn't leave something disconnected : https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...for-gs300.html
Old 04-02-13, 07:48 AM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Phileshia
I have a 02 GS 300. Was running fine but time for inspection. Went to mechanic who put it on machine. Machine said needs 2 upstream oxygen sensors.
Question: Was your check engine light on before you took it in for the inspection? If you had bad O2 sensors, your CEL would be on. Since you didn't mention it, I'm assuming it was not.

That's the first red flag that this mechanic is milking you for all you're worth and/or has no clue what he's doing.

Find a new mechanic. These Toyota engines aren't difficult to work on - especially for someone who does it for a living.
Old 04-02-13, 09:08 AM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Find a new mechanic

Quick Reply: Frustrated Female