GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Front end noise

Old 03-19-13, 05:19 PM
flossabe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end noise

This has been driving me crazy since I got my car almost 2 years ago. Ive replaced upper & lower ball joints with factory replacements form Sewell, switched to Dazien bushings (sway bar, susp, steering), changed sway bar end links, and checked shocks and top hats with no real changes.

The noise is hard to describe but its kind of a clunk, or maybe something clunking back and forth. It only happens on small/medium bumps. Large bumps on the highway I hear nothing, nor speed bumps. It's like the bump you would expect to not cause it....causes it. I've seen others describe something close but I'm not sure what to check next short of asking a Lexus dealer.

One thing that I have seen members mention that I have not replaced is the motor mounts.

Any suggestions?
Old 03-19-13, 06:33 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by flossabe
This has been driving me crazy since I got my car almost 2 years ago. Ive replaced upper & lower ball joints with factory replacements form Sewell, switched to Dazien bushings (sway bar, susp, steering), changed sway bar end links, and checked shocks and top hats with no real changes.

The noise is hard to describe but its kind of a clunk, or maybe something clunking back and forth. It only happens on small/medium bumps. Large bumps on the highway I hear nothing, nor speed bumps. It's like the bump you would expect to not cause it....causes it. I've seen others describe something close but I'm not sure what to check next short of asking a Lexus dealer.

One thing that I have seen members mention that I have not replaced is the motor mounts.

Any suggestions?

I just made an exact same post a few days ago, its driving me up a wall.. Motor mounts are getting replaced Monday I'll keep u posted asap... Its gotta end"!!!!!!!
Old 03-20-13, 07:34 AM
mexikan
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem, I found that the front camber adjusting bolt keeps getting loose, and clunks and creaks when turning slowly or going over bumps very slow..it started happening after I did an alignment and adjusted the front camber.. just tighten it up couple a days ago so far more noise..
Old 03-20-13, 11:11 AM
talbott
Rookie

I have a click or light clunk when going over medium to large dips in the road, not bumps. Ive replaced almost everything suspension wise (including center brace) and no one can seem to figure out what it is, it sounds like its coming from the middle of the front end.
Old 03-20-13, 01:01 PM
mexguy89
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by talbott
I have a click or light clunk when going over medium to large dips in the road, not bumps. Ive replaced almost everything suspension wise (including center brace) and no one can seem to figure out what it is, it sounds like its coming from the middle of the front end.
Mine sounds exactly the same, while inspecting I've notice tensioner pulley doesn't stay firm in place will be tightening this weekend that might me the problem. I have also consider replacing motor mounts please let me know turn out
Old 03-20-13, 01:02 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

I'm starting to think its never gonna go away... I'm about to sell my 400...
Old 03-20-13, 01:09 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Endlinks? Had the same problem with my sc
Old 03-20-13, 02:56 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Also check your subframe bolts guys....
Old 03-20-13, 05:32 PM
talbott
Rookie

Mines not bad enough to warrant selling, it's not even a thump like something's bottoming out, just a click, passengers won't even notice if the radios on, it's not even bad enough for me to really even look in to.
Old 03-21-13, 09:01 AM
flossabe
Driver School Candidate

Replaced the end links, I was so hoping that was it being just about the last thing to replace. It's just super annoying and happens on pretty specific conditions. I had thoughts about a possible shock issue but it doesn't seem likely.

FlockoGS4: Cool, def let us know how that turns out!!

mexikan: I'll check the camber bolt just to see.
Old 03-21-13, 09:32 AM
RPrescott
Driver School Candidate

I think I know what you're talking about. I had an old Lincoln Town Car that made the same noise as my GS is making now, and the same one you're describing. It's only on certain bumps and is like a clunk/rattle. On the Lincoln it ended up being bearing play in the shaft from the steering wheel to the steering gear. I haven't gotten that deep into the issue on my GS yet, but that's the first place I'm going to look.
Old 03-21-13, 10:21 AM
lyonkster
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

It seems like you did not replace the caster arm bushings (?). That would be my first step, I had the exact same symptom and new bushings cured it: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/7062204-post98.html
Old 03-21-13, 11:15 AM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lyonkster
It seems like you did not replace the caster arm bushings (?). That would be my first step, I had the exact same symptom and new bushings cured it: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/7062204-post98.html
I read that thread last night, interesting, is that the same as the lower control arm?
Old 03-21-13, 12:37 PM
lyonkster
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by FlockoGS4
I read that thread last night, interesting, is that the same as the lower control arm?
Officially it is the Control Arm #2...
Old 03-21-13, 12:41 PM
4eign
Lead Lap

i have the same clunking noise frm my drivers side. my mechanic cant find nuttn. I bought some new MOOG front end parts hoping this will take care of it. Almost sounds like something isn't tight enough but all bolts are tight. I hate it!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front end noise