GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Unidentified Box Behind Headunit

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-13, 08:46 AM
Dbrach
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Unidentified Box Behind Headunit

So, I decided to do JayNunu's easy DIY Aux input to my factory stereo to hold me over until I replace it with a Navigation unit. Anywho, side story: I kept hearing this rattling noise coming from behind the dash when at idle at a traffic light but really chalked it up to the simple fact that it's an '02 and things start to rattle after a while. Not so - take a look at what's behind my stereo. Can ANYONE tell me what the heck this thing is?!?! I know all about the aftermarket USA SPEC for iPod integration, and some of the other devices, but I used my scanner app on my phone, Goggled the heck out of the part number,model number, etc. It has the co-ax inputs which resembles as satellite or some sort of receiver connection, but I got nothing!
Attached Thumbnails Unidentified Box Behind Headunit-photo-1.jpg   Unidentified Box Behind Headunit-photo-2.jpg   Unidentified Box Behind Headunit-photo-3.jpg   Unidentified Box Behind Headunit-photo-4.jpg  
Old 03-19-13, 09:32 AM
Dbrach
Driver

Oh, and this was attached to it...looks like an antenna of sorts.
Attached Thumbnails Unidentified Box Behind Headunit-antenna.jpg  
Old 03-19-13, 09:56 AM
CHINCHIN
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tracking system. One antenna is for GPS and the other is for cellular to transmit the GPS and vehicle data. Then you have the power connector.
Old 03-19-13, 10:03 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

it looks like a driver for an analog to digital converter box but im not sure why they would use this

any other audio mods you found?
Old 03-19-13, 10:26 AM
CHINCHIN
Rookie

Originally Posted by sakataj
it looks like a driver for an analog to digital converter box but im not sure why they would use this

Its a tracking system. I have installed, repaired, upgraded, modified literally hundreds of these in a former life...
Old 03-19-13, 10:39 AM
Dbrach
Driver

Everything is stock bud. The wife and I just bought this about two months ago to replace her car that someone totaled. So I'm just now getting around to mods. All stock right now.
Old 03-19-13, 10:40 AM
Dbrach
Driver

Originally Posted by CHINCHIN
Its a tracking system. I have installed, repaired, upgraded, modified literally hundreds of these in a former life...
That's the impression that I was getting. I thought maybe LoJack system but their controller / responder boxes look different.

Thanks guys for the imput!
Old 03-19-13, 10:56 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

calm down Devon, just giving my thoughts....i said it looked like, never said it was. odd place to put a tracker though, not very secure lol

BTW i need YOU to get back to me man

Originally Posted by Dbrach
Everything is stock bud. The wife and I just bought this about two months ago to replace her car that someone totaled. So I'm just now getting around to mods. All stock right now.
i gotcha....well happy modding
Old 03-19-13, 02:30 PM
CHINCHIN
Rookie

Did you finance your car? At a buy-here-pay-here dealership? You basically make payments directly to the dealer instead of to a traditional bank? Its normal for BHPH dealers to put tracking systems into hish risk customer cars.

sakataj, the climate control box is yours (you said you were in no rush right?), the trunk bar I can't sell because I am not parting that vehicle. i'll let you know if i get one in black.
Old 03-19-13, 06:20 PM
Dbrach
Driver

Thumbs up

Did you finance your car? At a buy-here-pay-here dealership? You basically make payments directly to the dealer instead of to a traditional bank? Its normal for BHPH dealers to put tracking systems into hish risk customer cars.
No, we bought it cash with the insurance money from my wife's accident. Too funny you say that though because someone was just saying that too me today that maybe a previous owner did just what you said.

UPDATE: It's confirmed, I found the GPS antenna that was attached to it. Looks like a theft tracking system. Thanks again for your help!
Old 03-20-13, 06:53 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

wow, that seems like a lot to do but i guess to insure their money its not that bad. i would assume these things are like burner cell phones then?

sakataj, the climate control box is yours (you said you were in no rush right?), the trunk bar I can't sell because I am not parting that vehicle. i'll let you know if i get one in black.
correct no hurries, i just needed to line one up for sure.....k hit me up when you do
Old 03-20-13, 12:05 PM
CHINCHIN
Rookie

wow, that seems like a lot to do but i guess to insure their money its not that bad. i would assume these things are like burner cell phones then?

correct no hurries, i just needed to line one up for sure.....k hit me up when you do
No. Buy here pay here dealerships actually prefer if you default on the loan/financing. If you do, they keep your downpaymnet, plus whatever monthly payments you made and in addition to that, they repo the car and get it back, they clean the car up and re-sell it to someone else, repeat this a few times and one car can literally make a dealer thousands upon thousands more than its actually worth.

So if that is your mindset as a dealer, then the tracking device is actually a great investment with great returns...

The a/c box is yours, I have a few of them, dont worry about that...
Old 03-20-13, 01:41 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

No. Buy here pay here dealerships actually prefer if you default on the loan/financing. If you do, they keep your downpaymnet, plus whatever monthly payments you made and in addition to that, they repo the car and get it back, they clean the car up and re-sell it to someone else, repeat this a few times and one car can literally make a dealer thousands upon thousands more than its actually worth.

So if that is your mindset as a dealer, then the tracking device is actually a great investment with great returns...

The a/c box is yours, I have a few of them, dont worry about that...
ah that makes sense now. never understood why people in 30k houses would want a 120k car though....i would rather have a huge house than a huge car

cool, thanks