GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

What should i be looking to pay for this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-13, 10:48 AM
Moose287
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What should i be looking to pay for this?

Hey,

First of all I am new to the forums. I am looking for a pre-owned Lexus from a private seller. Most of the people I have contacted from auto trader and craigslist have been rather skeptical, dealers posing as private sellers, etc...

So, I saw a 2001 GS300 on Craigslist and the seller seems rather trustworthy. It had the timing belt done at 60k. 90k service was done on time (less the timing belt). Breaks were recently replaced in Decemeber of 2012. New tires were put on just last week. The car is pearl white with beige leather interior. The leather is in fantastic condition for the age and the owner took obvious care of the car. It had an L-Tunes upgraded front bumper (and possible other L Tunes upgrades). It also has a newer GS (I believe 2012) 18" wheels.

What should I be looking to pay for something like this? Also, I'm assuming the prepurchase inspection would be worth my while? Thanks.

- Moose
Old 03-17-13, 02:56 PM
1UGLYGS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You didn't mention the miles on the car...
Old 03-17-13, 03:00 PM
1UGLYGS
Lead Lap

And i wasn't aware they had L-tuned front bumpers.. and you should be able to tell if it has indeed L-tuned parts, it's pretty obvious. From what i'm getting at, and if the owner is telling you this stuff, move on... L tuned parts consist of the following:

What was available:
L-tuned emblems
L-tuned grill
L-tuned side skirts
L-tuned exhaust
L-tuned springs/shocks
L-tuned ECU
OZ 17" or 18" wheels
Old 03-18-13, 03:25 AM
Moose287
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1UGLYGS
And i wasn't aware they had L-tuned front bumpers.. and you should be able to tell if it has indeed L-tuned parts, it's pretty obvious. From what i'm getting at, and if the owner is telling you this stuff, move on... L tuned parts consist of the following:

What was available:
L-tuned emblems
L-tuned grill
L-tuned side skirts
L-tuned exhaust
L-tuned springs/shocks
L-tuned ECU
OZ 17" or 18" wheels
My apology it was the grill, not the bumper. Milage is at 101500
Old 03-18-13, 11:07 AM
Moose287
Driver School Candidate

anyone? Trying to make a deal for purchase on wednesday.
Old 03-18-13, 11:09 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

pictures would help.

you are basically describing us a car.
Old 03-18-13, 12:47 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

it is unlikely someone is going to snipe the car out from under you based on your posting here, if that is what you are worried about.

The more info you give, such as a link to the posting, the more people will be able to give you good/helpful advice if they were in your position.

What does the kbb and edmunds car appraiser tell you for values as compared to asking price? Please start there and tell us what numbers it spits out, then ask for help to fine tune.
Old 03-18-13, 01:33 PM
Moose287
Driver School Candidate

http://sarasota.craigslist.org/cto/3683412526.html

Here's a link of the posting.

He has receipts showing new tires purchased last week for just over $700.
He has receipts showing break work done in December of 2012.

KBB is hard to judge. If i put in KBB upgraded wheel from alloy to chrome and includes cd player it goes to $7300. I imagine that the L-Tuned parts and 18" wheels from a new GS300 ad value to the car. Not to mention I'm pleased with the fact that the car seems to be well taken care of and the service work is well documented.

He's asking $8400, Obviously there's a $1000 difference there. I'm trying to see how much of an added price he should be able to get away with the upgrades, new tires and different wheels. Thanks.
Old 03-18-13, 02:31 PM
mexguy89
Rookie

good price see if you can get it for $7500, best color looks super nice washed only thing I would change that ugly grille.
Old 03-18-13, 05:13 PM
raytseng
Instructor

New parts and mods should add no value in a car's appraisal; Treat them only as bonuses.

I think you can try to go for 7000 would be a good deal for you- but you also need to consider if you really like this one. Go for a test drive and see if you like it.. Many people regret buying a used gs300 as not feeling powerful enough.
Old 03-18-13, 06:17 PM
Moose287
Driver School Candidate

I'm not one for speeding or accelerating crazy. I like gs for It's size and comfort. It's the specific color and leather I'd prefer. Having it looked at by Lexus tomorrow.
Old 03-18-13, 06:22 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by raytseng
New parts and mods should add no value in a car's appraisal; Treat them only as bonuses.

I think you can try to go for 7000 would be a good deal for you- but you also need to consider if you really like this one. Go for a test drive and see if you like it.. Many people regret buying a used gs300 as not feeling powerful enough.
Haven't regretted my 300 at all.
Old 03-19-13, 03:47 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Who? I love my car and it's more than powerful enough. It can keep up with any 400/430 on the interstate. Maybe if I was into racing at redlights, I would want a 430...but I don't. No regrets here...
Old 03-19-13, 04:15 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Originally Posted by GokuSSJ3
Who? I love my car and it's more than powerful enough. It can keep up with any 400/430 on the interstate. Maybe if I was into racing at redlights, I would want a 430...but I don't. No regrets here...
Um, there are countless threads recounting this same advice in "help me buy a car" threads, as well as "comparing the gs3 and gs4" threads. I won't rehash it. So ok you are not one of the "many people". But yes there are many who wish they went the other way after some period of time, or wish they got the advice beforehand.

This isn't a judgement about you, or your car, or your driving habits; I have a gs3 also and am happy with it too, so there is no need to get defensive or feel you have to justify your choice in car ownership.

But, it is what I feel is useful advice to the OP who has no cars, that it is important that OP should test drive both types of cars and decide for himself.

Last edited by raytseng; 03-19-13 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-19-13, 04:25 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Um, there are countless threads recounting this same advice in "help me buy a car" threads, as well as "comparing the gs3 and gs4" threads. I won't rehash it. So ok you are not one of the "many people". But yes there are many who wish they went the other way after some period of time, or got the advice beforehand.

This isn't a judgement about you or your car or your driving habits; I have a gs3 also and am happy with it too, so there is no need to get defensive or feel you have to justify your car ownership.

But, it is what I feel is useful advice to the OP who has no cars, that OP should test drive both types to cars and decide for himself.
Defensive? This is a forum...no reason for me to get defensive. If you were physically attacking me, then I will have a true reason to be defensive. Stop being so sensitive sheesh...smh! Because I said that I don't race my car and that I feel that it's powerful enough for me...I'm being defensive? LOL.

Quick Reply: What should i be looking to pay for this?