GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

New Moog LBJ and Outer Tie Rods - steering won't return to center

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-13, 07:03 AM
intoran
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Moog LBJ and Outer Tie Rods - steering won't return to center

I just installed new Moog LBJ's and Outer Tie Rods. I just bought the car and didn't drive it for a month while doing maintenance so I can't remember if the steering wouldn't return before I replaced those parts.

Is this due to just needing an alignment or could I have done something wrong during the install? I searched and found info on the steering pre-tensioner and will try that, and am definitely getting an alignment next week as well. Just wondering if anyone else noticed steering not returning to center after new LBJ.

FYI, it's an 01 GS430 with 45k miles and lowered on L-tuned springs.
Old 03-16-13, 08:28 AM
GS714
Pole Position

Default Moog LBJ need to be greased prior to drive

Originally Posted by intoran
I just installed new Moog LBJ's and Outer Tie Rods. I just bought the car and didn't drive it for a month while doing maintenance so I can't remember if the steering wouldn't return before I replaced those parts.

Is this due to just needing an alignment or could I have done something wrong during the install? I searched and found info on the steering pre-tensioner and will try that, and am definitely getting an alignment next week as well. Just wondering if anyone else noticed steering not returning to center after new LBJ.

FYI, it's an 01 GS430 with 45k miles and lowered on L-tuned springs.
Did you greased the LBJ yet?
Old 03-16-13, 08:35 AM
intoran
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GS714
Did you greased the LBJ yet?
Yea after installation. I thought about re-greasing it since I've put a few (25) miles on it or so.
Old 03-16-13, 09:22 AM
L3xLug3r
Driver School Candidate

I just did all this and more recently. I took it to Firestone for their lifetime alignment and they told me the same thing about my steering not returning to center before the alignment. After completing the alignment, the steering returned to center. So take it to get an alignment and hopefully that fixes your problem. The issue was caused by the outer and inner tie rods I replaced. I did not adjust them accordingly and it screwed up the steering. Good luck.
Old 03-16-13, 09:22 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

You just need to align it. When you put the tie rods in, you didnt measure how far the old ones were screwed in. one side is screwed in farther than the other. Alignment shop can take care of that. Or, remove the tie rods, turn the wheel straight THEN install them correctly.
Old 03-16-13, 10:35 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Just needed alignment. When toe is severely out of whack, it will cause steering not to return. get it fixed asap because it will destroy your tires if you leave it that way and drive on it.
Old 03-16-13, 11:50 AM
intoran
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the responses.

I marked the lock nut on the outer tie rods and installed the new ones accordingly. I thought they were back to the right spots but maybe the Moog are slightly different than OEM, who knows. The steering wheel is centered and the returning seems a little bit better today, still returns only to 11 or 1 o'clock, never to 12. I'll respond to the thread once the alignment is done.
Old 03-16-13, 04:36 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

The moog tie rods are slightly longer if I remember correctly. When they do the alignment, they put a "thingy" from the brake pedal to the wheel to keep it straight, then begin turning the inner tie rod to turn the wheels in or out. Should be done when installed.
Old 03-17-13, 07:42 PM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts

Moog Parts are beefier especially the Lower Ball Joints. You need an alignment
Old 03-17-13, 08:31 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Do a poor mans alignment
Old 03-21-13, 04:43 AM
Iparkcars
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did my outer tie rod ends and I have a issue. The passenger side tie rod end seems to be in correct position with the locking bolt. I lined it up with the old one. The drivers side nut ended up all the way to the end and now I can't loosen the tie rod end to adjust it. I have moog tie rod ends do I need to try to take it off or can a alignment shop fix it
Old 03-21-13, 09:43 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

shop can do it all.

remember, you can spin the inner tierod freely. Remove the boot, you'll see a 'flat' spot to put a wrench on. The inner tie is just a ball on oneside and threads on the other. This is how they do the alignment at the shops without removing the outer tierod. This is also how you align the steering wheel.

You have to get it aligned no matter what after doing these replacements. Let them worry about it, you'll just do the work that they'll have to redo anyways.

Last edited by Mr Jokster; 03-21-13 at 09:46 AM.
Old 01-07-14, 11:15 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
shop can do it all. You have to get it aligned no matter what after doing these replacements. Let them worry about it, you'll just do the work that they'll have to redo anyways.
Great way of putting it bro. To the average Joe's who don't know, all they have to worry about is buying the actual parts, getting them installed, and then proceeding to take it for an alignment ASAP after repairs are done. That's it.
Old 01-07-14, 11:17 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by L3xLug3r
I just did all this and more recently. I took it to Firestone for their lifetime alignment and they told me the same thing about my steering not returning to center before the alignment. After completing the alignment, the steering returned to center. So take it to get an alignment and hopefully that fixes your problem. The issue was caused by the outer and inner tie rods I replaced. I did not adjust them accordingly and it screwed up the steering. Good luck.
Yupp I'm a lifetime alignment customer to Firestone... And man do they NOT like me lol. ... I like to get alignments every 3-4 months. Might not seem like allot but to a local facility, they get tired of seeing my face lol. Love the feeling after I take it out the shop tho bro. Can't lie. Good steering is always great!
Old 01-08-14, 01:29 AM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

NEW PARTS WILL NEVER BE THE SAME AS OLD PARTS, even if you mark your old parts tolerances WILL be different. car just needs an alignment and your set. TYBG for Firestone lifetime alignment as well
I replaced my ball joints, didnt mess with my tie rods, and steering still got Uncentered.