GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

best oil and filter for a tune up ????

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-13, 05:08 AM
Gs400blk
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best oil and filter for a tune up ????

Ok so I plan on doing my oil ch ange today for the 1st time on my gs400 with 170, 000 miles on the dot.Should I go with Toyota oil and filter only or do you guys use some thing else also what weight of oil should I use being that I live in Fl.
Old 02-21-13, 05:10 AM
Gs400blk
Rookie

I might be changing sparkplugs as well should I go oem or are NGK good for these motors.Thanks in advance.
Old 02-21-13, 05:35 AM
POWDERB20
Driver School Candidate

I would go with all original parts, you can probably find them cheaper through someone else other than the dealership though. I would also use the appropriate weight of oil, personally I use mobil one.
Old 02-21-13, 05:39 AM
Gs400blk
Rookie

Powderb20 thanks bro
Anyone else??
Old 02-21-13, 07:24 AM
Sevenevez
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

yeah. need more details of anyone that uses auto store stuff. whether it be mobile 1 or royal purple or whatever. need to do mine soon
Old 02-21-13, 07:31 AM
ksultan78
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i changed my oil last month... used about 5 quarts of Mobil 1 5w-30... used a bosch filter because i didn't know any better... will probably be changing the filter in another 3-4k miles, but the oil is rated for 15k.

i bought iridium plugs from rock auto and am pricing wires now.
Old 02-21-13, 07:54 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

I have a lot of knowledge in the oil industry...since that is who I work for so I can provide some input on your oil choice. Use any dino or syn oil that you choose. Find what is the cheapest and go from there. I currently have 3 years worth of oil stashed away when I raided all K'marts in the area when they were going out of business. I was able to get dino and syn oil for $4-6 bucks a gallon. Your motor will not be able to tell the difference between dino and syn oil. Syn oil is best for longer oci's. If you plan on changing it in 3-4k, it's a waste of money. If youplan on using dino oil for 5k oci's, then use any decent filter. Napa Proselect, or Purolator Classic will work just fine. Use whatever is the cheapest. If you plan on using syn oil and doing 8-12k oci, then use a syn media filter like a K&N or Fram Ultra filter. I currently have Pennzoil Plat oil in my car with a Fram Ultra filter that will easily last 10k.

Also Toyota doesn't make oil, they get one of the majors to make it for them. Idk who makes their oil, but I do know Mobil makes their ATF. I think Mobil makes their oil too. NGK spark plugs works fine with our motors. Don't use an American spark plug with our motor!! Stick to NGK, Denso.
Old 02-21-13, 08:10 AM
Sevenevez
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ksultan78
i changed my oil last month... used about 5 quarts of Mobil 1 5w-30... used a bosch filter because i didn't know any better... will probably be changing the filter in another 3-4k miles, but the oil is rated for 15k.

i bought iridium plugs from rock auto and am pricing wires now.
thanks

Originally Posted by GokuSSJ3
I have a lot of knowledge in the oil industry...since that is who I work for so I can provide some input on your oil choice. Use any dino or syn oil that you choose. Find what is the cheapest and go from there. I currently have 3 years worth of oil stashed away when I raided all K'marts in the area when they were going out of business. I was able to get dino and syn oil for $4-6 bucks a gallon. Your motor will not be able to tell the difference between dino and syn oil. Syn oil is best for longer oci's. If you plan on changing it in 3-4k, it's a waste of money. If youplan on using dino oil for 5k oci's, then use any decent filter. Napa Proselect, or Purolator Classic will work just fine. Use whatever is the cheapest. If you plan on using syn oil and doing 8-12k oci, then use a syn media filter like a K&N or Fram Ultra filter. I currently have Pennzoil Plat oil in my car with a Fram Ultra filter that will easily last 10k.

Also Toyota doesn't make oil, they get one of the majors to make it for them. Idk who makes their oil, but I do know Mobil makes their ATF. I think Mobil makes their oil too. NGK spark plugs works fine with our motors. Don't use an American spark plug with our motor!! Stick to NGK, Denso.
great info. thanks
Old 02-21-13, 08:37 AM
Gs400blk
Rookie

Originally Posted by GokuSSJ3

Great info man thanks a lot now I feel more confident about the whole oil ishh.
Ksultan78 thank you aswell
Old 02-21-13, 09:06 AM
Gs400blk
Rookie

GokuSSJ3 since you know about the oil industry and also own a Gs what weight of oil you think would be appropriate for a Gs with 170,000 miles on it??I know most/all cars say it on the cap but is that what's recommended for the whole life of motor or should it be changed to something a little thinker over the years/miles???
Old 02-21-13, 09:47 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Gs400blk
GokuSSJ3 since you know about the oil industry and also own a Gs what weight of oil you think would be appropriate for a Gs with 170,000 miles on it??I know most/all cars say it on the cap but is that what's recommended for the whole life of motor or should it be changed to something a little thinker over the years/miles???
I've never been a fan of the "add thicker" oil to a old engine. That nonsense came back when people used to say older engines would leak...so put thicker oil to stop or slow down the leak. Also don't waste your money on "high mileage" oil. It's a marketing ploy, so keep using dino or syn oil. I would continue to use 5w-30 and your motor will be ok. My old car had 260k on the motor, using nothing but 5w-30 dino.
Old 02-21-13, 04:19 PM
Longchampe
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If any of you have Amazon Prime the Mobil 1 filters are only $8 shipped on there. They're 13+ at the store.

Also, Costco has Mobil 1 synthetic on sale for $10 off right now so a 6 pack is like $27.
Old 02-21-13, 04:56 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went from using Mobil 1 synthetic and Toyota filter to using Royal Purple oil and filter exclusively. Unlike some people here that I've read here who change their synthetic oil at 3-4k intervals, I get my money's worth from the purple stuff. With RP I now change my oil every 10-11 months.
Old 02-21-13, 10:15 PM
818GS
Lead Lap

I use mobil one extended performance oil and filter 5w-30. I change the oil every 3k-5k or a year. whatever comes first. I never had a problem using mobil one. love it. I can't tell you my experience with a high milage engine. my gs4 has about 125k miles but i think mobil one is still a safe bet.
Old 02-22-13, 07:51 AM
damarcel
Driver School Candidate

Is Dino a brand or an oil grade?

Quick Reply: best oil and filter for a tune up ????