GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Front End Passenger Side Pop

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-13, 04:04 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Front End Passenger Side Pop

Alright here we go.. Lower Ball Joints and Outer Tie Rods were replaced last October with Moog. Caster Arms were replaced last year also with FIGS Spherical Bushings.. OEM Struts are still good..

Any ideas? It's only the passenger side. Just greased the LBJ's today, took it for a test drive after and it's still there.

Only makes the noise when going over bumps (sometimes), going up or down an incline and when braking. Pads/Rotors have been replaced also.

I'm thinking the lower control arm?
Old 02-17-13, 05:10 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

My guess would be to check your motor mounts...
Old 02-17-13, 06:49 PM
fnkmachine
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also check to see if UCA is tight. My car used to have a click when going over bumps and stopping. Turned out to be a loose UCA, simple I know. Bought it like that seller said it was a bad shock.
Old 02-17-13, 09:34 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

I'm just gonna take it into the dealer tomorrow. There's no way in hell i'm going to drive it the way it's sounding. No time to really sit down and pin point.
Old 02-18-13, 07:10 AM
Sevenevez
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LuxuryGS3
I'm just gonna take it into the dealer tomorrow. There's no way in hell i'm going to drive it the way it's sounding. No time to really sit down and pin point.
Let me know what it is. I have the same "pop" i only hear when i am braking going slow or just let off the brake pedal. When i redid my ball joints the noise dissapeared for about a week. Now i hear it again. Just not as loud. Front passenger side only.
Old 02-18-13, 09:51 AM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Took it to NTB this morning and had them run a full suspension check on the car. Ended up being the sway bar endlinks that weren't tight enough, so i'd check that out if you have the same kind of noise.
Old 02-18-13, 11:22 AM
Sevenevez
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

hmm, i remember cinching them down pretty hard. because i remember taking them off to swing the arm to get room for bolts on the ball joints. i need to jack her up and just tighten every bolt i see.

Hey man, on a slightly different subject "LuxuryGS3" I installed the coilovers and was very solid. Seems about a week after the front drivers side makes a creaking sound when i slow down and turn just a little bit. I saw that the coilovers may need grease but they have to be removed to do it? that would suck unless you have any other experience with this...
Old 02-18-13, 11:25 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Took it to NTB this morning and had them run a full suspension check on the car. Ended up being the sway bar endlinks that weren't tight enough, so i'd check that out if you have the same kind of noise.
one of the 3 major things i said it could be.... (especially since mine did this awhile ago) glad it was cheap sir
Old 02-18-13, 11:28 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

That's what I was going to tell you to check haha.

Did dealership charge you for inspecting?
Old 02-18-13, 04:35 PM
Arcadian
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

LuxuryGS3, I see you have the Figs spherical bushing arms. Can you tell us how they're working for you? Do you think they are something you can daily drive? One last question. Did the car's tendency to wander stop? Thanks for your feedback.
Old 02-18-13, 06:16 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sakataj
one of the 3 major things i said it could be.... (especially since mine did this awhile ago) glad it was cheap sir
Yes sir you did, haha. Thanks again bro.

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
That's what I was going to tell you to check haha.

Did dealership charge you for inspecting?
I actually didn't go to the dealership, Sakataj said that if i'm just wanting it pin pointed then take it to an alignment shop so I took it to NTB and had them run a suspension check and he fixed it.

Originally Posted by Arcadian
LuxuryGS3, I see you have the Figs spherical bushing arms. Can you tell us how they're working for you? Do you think they are something you can daily drive? One last question. Did the car's tendency to wander stop? Thanks for your feedback.
They're fine for daily driving. The caster bushings are to help keep your alignment in tact. Sakataj would be a better person to ask this question to as he is a suspension guru, lol.

As far as wandering, what do you mean? Caster arms won't deal with the car wandering. Do you mean your rear sways when you hit a bump? Need a bit more info on that.
Old 02-18-13, 09:38 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Glad to hear this was an easy fix... You've been on a roll with the easy fixes lately ^_^ money in the bank
Old 02-18-13, 09:59 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MikeFoxx
Glad to hear this was an easy fix... You've been on a roll with the easy fixes lately ^_^ money in the bank
You and me both

That's right I've still got some Battle Version stuff to buy and my coils!! I need as much moula as possible lmao.. AND I just got my gf a GS, so I'm buying her new front brake pads and get all that done for her. Get her rollin strong.
Old 02-18-13, 11:04 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

as for me, i routinely have my suspension checked every 15K. Get everything torqued and then alignment.
Old 02-18-13, 11:31 PM
blacksedan
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I'm having the same problem. I recently did a suspension refresh. Can I tighten the end links without having to take the cotter pin and bolt out??

Quick Reply: Front End Passenger Side Pop