GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

How to remove glove box light w/o breaking it

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-13, 06:18 AM
subzero32
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to remove glove box light w/o breaking it

So how do I remove the glove box light bulb (size 37) without breaking it? It's recessed and hard to grip with your fingers. I thought about pushing it out from behind with a small dental instrument (I'm a dentist). Also the footwell lights are hard to grip as well. I'm doing a LED conversion and these are the last ones I need to change.
Old 02-07-13, 07:20 AM
SPRTNYDSN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it easy but its safer if you just unscrew the 4 and the one below the glovebox so you have better access to the light.
Old 02-07-13, 10:10 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Break it then pull it out by the filament with needle nose pliers. Worked good for me.
Old 02-07-13, 10:23 AM
subzero32
Driver

Originally Posted by Debonair
Break it then pull it out by the filament with needle nose pliers. Worked good for me.
I want to avoid breaking the bulb but it's good to know you were able to pull it out by the filament.
Old 02-07-13, 11:53 AM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Follow the steps to remove the passenger servos. There are steps to remove the glove box, its simple.
Old 02-07-13, 06:18 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by subzero32
So how do I remove the glove box light bulb (size 37) without breaking it? It's recessed and hard to grip with your fingers. I thought about pushing it out from behind with a small dental instrument (I'm a dentist). Also the footwell lights are hard to grip as well. I'm doing a LED conversion and these are the last ones I need to change.
You might be able to kinda scoop it out with an explorer by slipping it under it, but needle nose pliers work fine. If you wrap some electrical tape around the needle nose tips it will allow you to squeeze a bit harder before breaking the bulb.

I was able to put a standard 194 in the glovebox by just trimming the bulbs base down on the sides and bending the leads a little bit, took a few minutes and a few test fits but it fit fine.

The footwells I used sqaure 9 smd led boards which put out a way better pattern than the 194 I used first did. You'll need to cut the wire feeding these lights and splice in a new bulb type for most choices to use there. These boards I used fit perfect behind the clear lens still as well.

Old 02-08-13, 06:48 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by subzero32
I want to avoid breaking the bulb but it's good to know you were able to pull it out by the filament.
I was gently trying to get it out whole with some rubber tipped needle nose pliers. I failed and it broke. Those small bulbs can be stuck pretty good.
Old 02-08-13, 09:48 AM
subzero32
Driver

Originally Posted by 99 GS3
You might be able to kinda scoop it out with an explorer by slipping it under it, but needle nose pliers work fine. If you wrap some electrical tape around the needle nose tips it will allow you to squeeze a bit harder before breaking the bulb.

I was able to put a standard 194 in the glovebox by just trimming the bulbs base down on the sides and bending the leads a little bit, took a few minutes and a few test fits but it fit fine.

The footwells I used sqaure 9 smd led boards which put out a way better pattern than the 194 I used first did. You'll need to cut the wire feeding these lights and splice in a new bulb type for most choices to use there. These boards I used fit perfect behind the clear lens still as well.

Great idea! What site did you order the 9LED board from? And what connector type did you splice in?
Old 02-08-13, 09:59 AM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Anytime i had issues pulling smaller bulbs i've used a piece of rubber grip. The stuff some people line their kitchen cabinets with from the dollar store. It comes in handy for grip situations.
Old 02-08-13, 10:43 AM
subzero32
Driver

I finally got the bulb removed. I pushed it out of the housing which I pulled from the glove box. Now I'm going to put this led in there.

http://www.vleds.com/bulb-type/minia...-pair-b-o.html
Old 02-08-13, 12:11 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

i did this, had my sister with little fingers pull out the bulb for me

and then when i installed it, the polarity was reversed, so i had to do it a second time!

does anyone know why the glove box light doesn't light up if the keys not in the car and on AC mode tho? annoys the heck out of me when i need to get something out of the glove box.
Old 02-08-13, 04:15 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

The trick I do is to wrap some duct tape around the bulb, and then pull it out with needle nose pliers
Old 11-25-14, 12:41 PM
Seadaddy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
The trick I do is to wrap some duct tape around the bulb, and then pull it out with needle nose pliers
OK. Able to get the bulb out OK, but since I can't actually see into where the bulb sits, I can't figure out where the slot is that the bulb fits into. Anyone know how to see or know this, can't see the slot.
Old 11-25-14, 03:50 PM
Revive
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Plastic fuse puller.
Old 11-26-14, 06:28 AM
Seadaddy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Revive
Plastic fuse puller.
Thanks but not sure if this is an answer to my question as to how to see or know where to actually place that glove box bulb

Quick Reply: How to remove glove box light w/o breaking it