GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

DIY GS430 Passenger Mirror Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-13, 10:47 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default DIY GS430 Passenger Mirror Assembly

Hey CL. I'm writing out a DIY today since I just installed my new mirror on my passenger side. Took plenty of pics. This is my first time writing a DIY so please don't constructively criticize too much lol. I hope this helps anyone looking to do the same. I looked for a DIY like this but just for the mirror. I found a DIY for door lock actuators. And even tho it did contain pics on somewhat how to take the mirror out, I decided to do a whole DIY on ONLY the mirror being taken out. So here it goes..

Everything was pretty simple, I wont lie. It took me about 1 hour to do everything (removal, pics, installation, etc.)

First, I studied the door panel calmly to spot all screws. They can all be taken out with a Phillips screw driver (* head). After I took out all the screws, I removed plastic cover from tweeter. Then, I gently began to push door panel upwards and cautiously started to detach off from plastic clips. Do this gently to avoid any damages. Just take your time. After door panel was off, I laid it gently on a box below the door so it won't just hang with the wires as its support. After removing door panel, you get a clear view of all internal components. After removing panel, I removed the black plastic door liner. It comes off easily after you remove the plastic screw holding it in place. Push it up gently and should come right out. Then, I removed screw holding the tweeter in place to make space and be able to reach 3 screws holding mirror comfortably. All screws for can be taken out with a 10mm socket. Once I removed 3 screws, I carefully detached white cable from where it was connected. In the pics you see how I gently pressed down the little button on it and it came out with ease. Be careful with all these components. You do not want to damage anything. I cut the tape holding the wire to the door with a regular blade. The new mirror came with the clip attached to the cable so you can connect it back when installing. I used a small flathead screwdriver (- head) to carefully detach broken mirror base. It was kind of sticky but carefully, it'll come right out.

Okay, at this point, the mirror is out. Then I proceeded to install new mirror. I carefully put wire thru the space, presented the 3 screws to hold it in place. I tightened them. WARNING, do not forget to install plastic door liner BEFORE you tighten screw that holds tweeter. The black plastic door liner falls in place BEHIND the tweeter. After you carefully do that, connect new cable and pop in the plastic clip holding cable into the hole where the old one was to avoid loose cable in door. Carefully place door panel back on, pop it in the clips, install screws back in and tighten.

And that's it. Job complete. Clean up tools and look at your new mirror.

I hope you guys enjoy. Any questions, suggestions, opinions, etc. feel free to share. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails DIY GS430 Passenger Mirror Assembly-diy1.jpg   DIY GS430 Passenger Mirror Assembly-diy2.jpg   DIY GS430 Passenger Mirror Assembly-diy3.jpg   DIY GS430 Passenger Mirror Assembly-diy4.jpg   DIY GS430 Passenger Mirror Assembly-diy5.jpg  

Old 01-19-13, 10:48 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

More pics for you guys.
Attached Thumbnails DIY GS430 Passenger Mirror Assembly-diy6.jpg   DIY GS430 Passenger Mirror Assembly-diy7.jpg   DIY GS430 Passenger Mirror Assembly-diy8.jpg   DIY GS430 Passenger Mirror Assembly-diy9.jpg   DIY GS430 Passenger Mirror Assembly-diy10.jpg  

Old 01-19-13, 10:49 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Here's a few more
Attached Thumbnails DIY GS430 Passenger Mirror Assembly-diy11.jpg   DIY GS430 Passenger Mirror Assembly-diy12.jpg   DIY GS430 Passenger Mirror Assembly-diy13.jpg   DIY GS430 Passenger Mirror Assembly-diy14.jpg   DIY GS430 Passenger Mirror Assembly-diy15.jpg  

Old 01-19-13, 10:50 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Almost done ....
Attached Thumbnails DIY GS430 Passenger Mirror Assembly-diy16.jpg   DIY GS430 Passenger Mirror Assembly-diy17.jpg   DIY GS430 Passenger Mirror Assembly-diy18.jpg   DIY GS430 Passenger Mirror Assembly-diy19.jpg   DIY GS430 Passenger Mirror Assembly-diy20.jpg  

Old 01-19-13, 10:51 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Coming to an end soon ...
Attached Thumbnails DIY GS430 Passenger Mirror Assembly-diy21.jpg   DIY GS430 Passenger Mirror Assembly-diy22.jpg   DIY GS430 Passenger Mirror Assembly-diy23.jpg   DIY GS430 Passenger Mirror Assembly-diy24.jpg   DIY GS430 Passenger Mirror Assembly-diy25.jpg  

Old 01-19-13, 10:53 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

And walllaaaaaa here's an outside pic you guys. Hope this all helped.
Attached Thumbnails DIY GS430 Passenger Mirror Assembly-diy26.jpg  
Old 01-19-13, 11:41 AM
SwayNV
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice write-up. I'm sure it will be useful to people in the future.
Hopefully I won't need it though haha
Old 01-19-13, 11:56 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SwayNV
Nice write-up. I'm sure it will be useful to people in the future.
Hopefully I won't need it though haha
I hope you don't. Believe me, this nightmare has been something else. Waiting to see your car get rebuilt, working your *** off for OEM parts, managing and organizing package shipments, etc. Oh man. But I stayed at it bro. Yeah, I hope you never crash your car. But if you ever knock your mirror off by accident, you know you can count on my DIY.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 01-19-13, 08:20 PM
Sevenevez
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice pics. I just replaced my Mirror shell the other day without removing the door panel. Tricky
Old 01-20-13, 01:18 AM
chicov8
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice diy
how did you remove tweeter cover? just pull?
Old 01-20-13, 09:44 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chicov8
nice diy
how did you remove tweeter cover? just pull?
Yes. I just pull it right out my friend. Gently, it should come out. And to move the actual tweeter out the way, take the screw out holding it.

Old 01-20-13, 09:45 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Sevenevez
Nice pics. I just replaced my Mirror shell the other day without removing the door panel. Tricky
I know it was possible to do it that way. But I chose to do it that way at the time. Even still, it was not hard at all. It was a painless fix. Thanks for the support!

Old 06-20-16, 11:45 AM
MattGS300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This has been a huge help...thanks for taking the time to do this.
Old 06-20-16, 09:45 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Aneidiaz,

Well done. I love to see when people like you take the initiative to do this without looking or seek help from other person. Again well done Aneidiaz. GBU.
Old 06-21-16, 02:03 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Moderator edit - Sakataj exit this thread. No need to be rude to someone simply praising another member. Please add mcon to your ignore list and never respond to him again.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 06-21-16 at 08:14 PM.

Quick Reply: DIY GS430 Passenger Mirror Assembly