GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Love it or hate it 26B TURBO GS300!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-13, 04:06 PM
EVOZERO
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BCHDAZ
take that number and double it.... then you wont be far off.
Hell ya! Hoping to go see this thing at the 4 & Rotor nats next weekend!
Old 01-13-13, 04:13 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Absolutely disgusting!
Old 01-13-13, 07:32 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

i love this....especially since rotary motors weigh next to nothing. my only issue is the same issue most people have with rotaries.....the stupid Apex seals. this is the same reason alot of RX-7 members are swapping to piston motors (mainly LS series) as they are tired of dealing with the apex seals

i was aware of the 20b (3 rotor) i have never seen or heard of a 4 rotor

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
i don't 'like' the sound of a 400whp weedwhacker.
take that number and double it.... then you wont be far off.
"The 26B engine displaced 2622 cc and developed 700 hp (522 kW) at 9000 rpm" and thats FACTORY.....so if he has any aftermarket mods or anything im sure he is making some great power. i wouldn't doubt he has atleast 3mm or 4mm apex seals to hold this together but i still would be surprised if it stays together a whole season.

Last edited by sakataj; 01-13-13 at 07:41 PM.
Old 01-13-13, 10:20 PM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The stigma of unreliability of a rotary engine is notorious and somewhat well deserved - but also over-hyped. It's a rather exotic platform and, as such, requires some specialized maintenance procedures that piston engines do not. Because of this, a lot of RX-7 owners back in the'80s and '90s didn't know how to properly maintain their cars. Their engines subsequently failed and the stigma was born.

When properly maintained, a rotary engine is just as reliable as a piston engine. And, with only about 6 or 7 moving parts (on a 2-rotor) they're quite easy to R&R if necessary.

Most modern 4-rotors are custom built. I guarantee that the one in this GS is. It's not a factory crate motor. The beauty of the rotary platform is that it's modular. So you can just add rotor housings as you see fit. All RX-7's came from the factory with 2-rotors (at least here in North America they did). The 20b, 3-rotor, was found in production cars in Japan and elsewhere. The 4-rotor was famously in the 787b race car. Want more power? How 'bout more rotors. Here's a 6-rotor: http://www.autoblog.com/2012/07/27/t...d-sounds-like/

Now imagine that with a couple of turbos! Insane power.

I, for one, love the BRAP BRAP BRAP of a rotary engine. I don't care what it's in
Old 01-14-13, 12:54 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by mk2tmr2
The stigma of unreliability of a rotary engine is notorious and somewhat well deserved - but also over-hyped.
i know from your past posts your knowledgeable with a miata but if you have ever owned/worked on a high horsepower RX-7 or rotary motor then you would know its def not over hyped. the apex seals are junk......they get more reliable when you get into 3mm/4mm apex seals but they can/will still grenade those also

the best thing about a rotary motor is its simplicity : its air & fuel enters,compression to ignition back around to combustion to exhaust all in 3 motions

i love rotary motors for of all things their weight saving in such a small package.....the 13b shortblock from memory only weighs about 130-150lb.....the whole motor turbo and all weighed under 400lb and that was mainly due to the heavy cast iron exhaust/turbo manifolds this weight also was including the power steering/ac which weighs like 35lb....converting from dual turbos with the cast iron manifolds to a single turbo and you can easily see 30-50lb off that total weight

for those of you that dont know how a rotary motor works this video shows how simple it is

this one made me laugh

Last edited by sakataj; 01-14-13 at 01:00 AM.
Old 01-14-13, 01:45 AM
EVOZERO
Rookie

I can pretty much guarantee the owner of this weapon will not swap out the 4rotor for a piston engine, these guys are rotor through and through.

The price for this kind of engine is astronomical!! the crank for the 4rotor itself is $11000+usd
And a built n/a 4rotor engine, before ecu, turbo etc is in excess of $40000+usd
Old 01-14-13, 10:58 AM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sakataj
i know from your past posts your knowledgeable with a miata but if you have ever owned/worked on a high horsepower RX-7 or rotary motor then you would know its def not over hyped. the apex seals are junk......they get more reliable when you get into 3mm/4mm apex seals but they can/will still grenade those also
I was driving a bridge-ported '94 R2 when the motor seized and the rotors welded themselves to the housings. The owner (my girlfriend at the time) ran it low on oil. She should have known better...it was her second modified FD. Her first, a '93 R1, she flipped in a ditch while showing off driving it in the snow.

One of my best friends growing up had an early 80's FB that did 250k miles on it's original 12a.

I stand by my statement. A properly maintained rotary can be just as reliable as a properly maintained piston engine. That's why people who really know rotaries take the appropriate measures to deal with heat management and oil/gas mixture.

When talking about "high horsepower" rotaries - that naturally implies bigger turbo and higher boost. At that point, upgraded apex seals are just simply a part of the upgrade path.
Old 01-14-13, 01:28 PM
BCHDAZ
Pole Position

i sill prefer this....

the original will always be the best.
Old 01-14-13, 01:57 PM
EVOZERO
Rookie

I agree, theres nothing better than a big hp 2jz, 6speed equipped Aristo.
Its what i plan to do to mine (though not 1000ps!)

But hats off to the owner of this rotor gs, the amount of time and money
it would of taken would of put 95% of people off and ended up like most unfinished
Projects!
Old 01-14-13, 02:32 PM
BCHDAZ
Pole Position

what lines are you wanting to build your car along EVO?
Old 01-14-13, 03:06 PM
EVOZERO
Rookie

what lines are you wanting to build your car along EVO?
Im in two minds atm, track/drift spec is my goal but i dont want to cage my Aristo, so with the Aristo im aiming for 500-550 rwhp road car. Then for my track aspirations get a gs shell and throw in a cage, 2jz, v160 or R154 running 600-650 rwhp.
Old 01-14-13, 04:33 PM
BCHDAZ
Pole Position

sound's like a great plan, if you need any help, drop me a line.
Old 01-14-13, 06:09 PM
EVOZERO
Rookie

Yer man will do for sure!!
Old 01-25-13, 10:23 PM
BCHDAZ
Pole Position

BOOM!
Old 01-26-13, 03:05 AM
EVOZERO
Rookie

BOOM!
Yer man, saw it at the Nats today, this thing has to be seen in the flesh to fully appreciate the build quality, this thing has had the major dollars spent in the right places!! heres a couple pics i snapped, (sorry boout the sh#t quality was off my phone)

notice the oil cooler......

Plus it now runs NOS!!!!

The rears are STRETCHED 285/35'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was told just the engine block alone was US$63,000....... its pushing about 1000hp! nuff said....

Quick Reply: Love it or hate it 26B TURBO GS300!!