GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Help!!! Wire harness question code: P0135

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-16, 06:31 AM
NoPulp
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!! Wire harness question code: P0135

Hello peeps,

So to make a long story short... I was working on the car a while back and I accidentally broke a wire off the wire harness. The wire I broke is located right before the O2 Sensor and the plug that goes to the throttle body. Please see the reference picture below.(Its not my pic, just so y'all have an idea).

Name:  Harness_zpsdlgak1ff.jpg
Views: 883
Size:  117.8 KB

I figured I could solder the wires back together but one of the wires had a wire inside another wire. I've never seen anything like that before. I did my best to solder the wires back together, but the car runs like crap. It has no power(it barely wants to take off from 0 mph and ones its rolling it barely gets to 60 mph) and threw a P0135 code. I read about the code. It is my understanding that its an oxygen sensor. Being that the issue started after breaking the wire, is it safe to assume that whatever I did was not right?

My mechanic literacy is slight above average (I can change spark plugs, coils, starter, alternator, radiator and this like that. I suck at diagnosing and try to avoid doing bigger jobs).

So, I figured, "let's just replace the damn harness and call it quits". So here comes my question(s). I found a wire harness off an '04 GS300 here locally. Will it fit my car? Will I need a different ECU to go with the '04 harness? What should I look out for when buying a wire harness? I have never switched a wire harness before so any help is appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by NoPulp; 12-22-16 at 09:37 AM.
Old 12-22-16, 09:25 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Being that the issue started after breaking the wire, is it safe to assume that whatever I did was not right?
Most likely. If the splice was done correctly, there should be no problems. I cant see going through a whole harness change for something very simple. I say take it to a mechanic shop, they might be able to repair it for like $60 bucks
Old 12-22-16, 09:40 AM
NoPulp
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
Most likely. If the splice was done correctly, there should be no problems. I cant see going through a whole harness change for something very simple. I say take it to a mechanic shop, they might be able to repair it for like $60 bucks
If the charge me something reasonable I'd say, "F'it do it." What I'm afraid is they'll say, "Replace the harness" and I'm screwed paying for the diagnostic and the price of the harness... I think you right though, they should be able to fix it instead of replacing it...
Old 12-22-16, 06:43 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Gonna have to go to a mom and pop place, they'll just do what you ask (to some extent). If they say you have to replace the whole thing, just say, "Thank you, have a nice day" no need to debate it. Shouldnt have to pay for diagnostics unless you want them to find out what the problem is. If you go in and ask them to repair something, they do it.

Its like if you go to a body shop because you have a dent on your fender and say, hey, fix my fender. They're not gonna charge you to look at the fender lol So go in and say, hey, fix my wire