GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Car cover for winter. Will this work?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-12, 04:27 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Car cover for winter. Will this work?

Ok, so I only have a 1 car garage and it is being used. I'm not daily driving my car anymore and would like a nice car cover for the New York winters here. Not sure which one to buy but I got a great deal thats kind of in the works for an oem Lexus one from a fellow CL member; the problem is, these covers aren't snow/ice repellant. My question is, why can't I just use a thin plastic painters tarp underneath this Lexus cover? I would think the Lexus cover will keep a lot of the stuff out and when it thaws from snow/ice, instead of seeping through to car's paint it will hit the plastic painters tarp and all will be well. What do you think?

This is a big PITA to find a good all weather cover, some say they are yet reviews say they all suck. please lmk guys. Thx

ThisWill
Old 12-11-12, 04:33 AM
Rob Daddy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wouldn't it be better to put the Lexus car cover on first then put the tarp over that & secure it?
Old 12-11-12, 09:30 AM
veritek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Rob Daddy
Wouldn't it be better to put the Lexus car cover on first then put the tarp over that & secure it?
That's what I was thinking too. The tarp could rub and damage your paint if you put it on under the Lexus car cover.
Old 12-11-12, 09:41 AM
GTE4Life
Rookie

Ya I think the tarp over the Lexus cover is better too, use the nice lexus car cover to protect the paint and the tarp to keep snow off of the cover... If that makes sense. If it was the other way around I think the tarp could scratch the paint (especially if it has the metal eyelets) and the cover would be like a wet blanket over the top.
Old 12-11-12, 09:45 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

i dont think between the car's paint/tarp it will have breathing room,u want the underside to be breathable so to say or else you are going to ruin that paint underneath their. Rock look over this list

http://www.empirecovers.com/lexus/gs...-undefined.htm

and in Ny from what i remember when i had family friends there, i think if the car is on the street the tag still needs to be viewable so make sure it has a tag area built in the cover
Old 12-11-12, 11:04 AM
geeznuts
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tarp on car under a car cover will create mold. Yuk! Maybe a blanket then car cover?
Old 12-11-12, 12:07 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by geeznuts
Tarp on car under a car cover will create mold. Yuk! Maybe a blanket then car cover?
glen, wouldnt the blanket also cause mold from the moisture it would absorb?
Old 12-11-12, 12:23 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Hate to be that guy, but you might be better off not putting a cover on it at all. Sometimes covers end up causing more problems then they are worth. You might be better off to wash it give it a real good wax and be done with it.
Old 12-11-12, 03:22 PM
geeznuts
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sakataj
glen, wouldnt the blanket also cause mold from the moisture it would absorb?
Haha true. I just remembered back in the day I covered my cutlass supreme with a tarp and car over and I uncovered Mold that was from rain though lol I've never lived through snow lol
Old 12-11-12, 06:16 PM
lopeolinda
Driver School Candidate

i think if the car is on the street the tag still needs to be viewable so make sure it has a tag area built in the cover
Old 12-11-12, 06:28 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sakataj
i dont think between the car's paint/tarp it will have breathing room,u want the underside to be breathable so to say or else you are going to ruin that paint underneath their. Rock look over this list

http://www.empirecovers.com/lexus/gs...-undefined.htm

and in Ny from what i remember when i had family friends there, i think if the car is on the street the tag still needs to be viewable so make sure it has a tag area built in the cover
Thanks Brian! My car will be on my driveway so I won't need the license plate window. I am looking into The Grey Max and the Titan 4L cover from your website above. I like the idea that they give 7-10 years of warranty so it can't be crap. Thanks again!
Old 12-11-12, 06:45 PM
richie3888
Pole Position

Pay to put it in storage.
Old 12-11-12, 07:00 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by richie3888
Pay to put it in storage.
Definitely a great idea.
Old 12-11-12, 08:04 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Not at that point yet. Still need to do paint work, install my SC kit and other items...trying to do all in the Spring. So, next winter will be more of a concern to me. I'm just trying to not make the paint any worse sitting outside in the winter for this year. Once I make it like show quality I will think of storage options later down the road.
Old 12-11-12, 08:07 PM
puff
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gray_es300
Hate to be that guy, but you might be better off not putting a cover on it at all. Sometimes covers end up causing more problems then they are worth. You might be better off to wash it give it a real good wax and be done with it.
I agree with this guy. I personally don't use a car cover in the winter. My car stays in the driveway and just give it a good detail before winter kicks in. Usually I don't brush snow off the car I just let it melt on it's own since I don't really drive the car in the winter anyways. If I do brush it off I use my hands with a soft glove or wash mitt. Car covers are too much trouble and sometimes end up messing up your paint anyway.

Here are pics of a couple years ago with my old car

If your paint is nice and smooth the snow or ice if it's frozen will sometimes slide right off by itself.