GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

To wrap or paint parts - need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-12, 09:17 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default To wrap or paint parts - need advice!

Ok, so i've owned my '00 black GS for almost 10yrs now and always took care of her but up until just recently she has been my daily driver; going through NY winters each year w/o being garaged.

With this said the paint and my kit has taken a beaten. A really good detailing can make the exterior an 8.5 but in order to get it to a 9/9.5 i'd have to fix certain areas. The following is a quick list:

1) paint/clearcoat on drivers mirror is starting to flake out of the blue
2) paint on hood is fading a little, almost looks burnt
3) body kit has a good amount of rock chips and tiny stress cracks on lower front bumper
4) rear bumper has some small scratches of missing paint from my dumb neighbor
5) shop that installed my trunk lip spoiler didn't install it good enough and started to left off a little on one side taking a dime sized piece of paint up from the trunk deck
6) roof has had a couple of heavy sap marks from when I bought it 10 years ago as a CPO Lexus, cannot come out

So, with all that being said, I feel if I wanted to get all the above repaired and re-painted it would probably cost me around $1500 or more. Should I do this or should I wrap the hood, roof, trunk, mirrors and first 4" of the kit? The wrapping would probably cost me $1000 as I got a quote of $2k to do the entire car.

What should I do? I was thinking about wrapping the whole car but am leaning away from this as I like seeing glossy paint on my ride. Please help and give me some feedback, thanks!
Old 12-09-12, 10:02 AM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

get it painted
Old 12-09-12, 10:26 AM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Im not too familiar with the wrap but i was told that after years it can damage the paint when removing which you'll then need to correct with a paint job anyways. Anyone know? If its true than you might as well just paint. But i like the idea of wrapping the roof.

I was considering a full wrap till i got an estimate that was more than a paint job so i never dug deeper on the option.
Old 12-09-12, 10:30 AM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Paint it. I got a quote for wrapping my car from a local place that had great reviews and they told me $3299 to wrap the GS and theirs lasts for about 5-8 years. Maybe 10 depending on how you take care of your car keeping it out of the sun etc..

I'd just get it repainted man.
Old 12-09-12, 11:20 AM
YxUxMADDDD
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

+1 on paint........
Old 12-09-12, 11:44 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

post up some picutres so we know the damage, i'd honestly just paint though
Old 12-09-12, 01:44 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

I think i'm just going to paint the hood (or buy a VIS CF hood), and paint the trunk deck and re-install the lip spoiler. I think i'll do a gloss black vinyl wrap on the roof and do a matte black on the mirrors and lower portion of the body kit around the whole car. Plus if I do a matte black wrap on my body kit it will hide the slight waviness in my sideskirts. The body shop mentioned that tgey got a little wavy after backing them when they were painted; I call BS, but whatever. It's not so noticable but is noticable from looking down the side of the car. If there is matte finish on these skirts, it won't be noticable at all.
I think the above will look nice and the particular areas of wrapping will be both form and function. At a glance it will only look like I added it to the lower 4" of the kit and did the mirrors. I know it won't look too much or too tacky...i think it will look hot!
Old 12-09-12, 04:27 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

if the skirts are wavy, the body shop didnt do the prep work right on them.......
Old 12-10-12, 03:05 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TTurboPimp
if the skirts are wavy, the body shop didnt do the prep work right on them.......
Agreed; same shop that didn't install the trunk lip spoiler good.
Old 12-10-12, 07:13 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I agree on just repainting the whole car. If your not doing a color change then you should be able to get some good prices if there is no jambing to be done.
Old 12-11-12, 01:34 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

those NY roads are no joke.. My GF family lives upsate in the ithaca/Corning area and reside in Elmira and the roads are terrible... I would hate to bring a Lexus there and have it get beat up everyday
Old 12-11-12, 08:55 AM
lowKut
NELOC Moderator

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you decide to paint a good pal of mine in Queens, NY can do it for you. Top notch work and price is really good.

LMK,

MARK
Old 12-11-12, 09:02 AM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wrap is a temporary solution for people who want to change their color and then change it again sometime in the near future. Most pro-grade wraps can peel off within a year or two with no ill effects. That said, if the paint you apply the wrap to is in bad shape, it'll get destroyed by the wrap when peeling it off.

If you're looking for a permanent solution you definitely need to repaint.

You might want to consider wrapping the front lip. It sounds like it is bound to get nicked and abused a bit. If you wrap it, you can always just re-wrap it every 6 months to keep it fresh. And if you learn to do it yourself, you can do it for the cost of vinyl. You can get enough intermediate quality vinyl to wrap a lip 20 times for about $30.
Old 12-11-12, 01:16 PM
msarahalex
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

paint her after winter
Old 12-11-12, 01:30 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

If you wrap a wrecked part, the dimples from underneath are gonna show through and/or create a bubble. Paint it! This is why when the clear bras are put on, they recommend doing it when the car is new or in good condition.

Quick Reply: To wrap or paint parts - need advice!