GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Which rotors tt brake upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-12, 10:28 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Just nab any blank rotor. I have Centric premium blanks right now and they work. Why get fancy rotors when they are gunna get chewed out anyways from an aggressive pad? Most likely youll be replacing both pads + rotors each time anyways.
Old 11-13-12, 03:41 PM
RikTT
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ninja6o4
I've got TT calipers, Hawk pads, and DBA 4000 up front, works great with hard braking. Downside is I get horrible braking squeal when the rotors are wet/raining. I'll be changing back to OEM pads when the hawk's wear out I think..

I also noticed that if I'm cruising for a while on the freeway without braking and suddenly come up to some traffic, the brakes are not very responsive until they heat up the rotors again. Just food for thought.
You probably have the HPS ones. The BEST initial bite are form the OEM pads but the down side is crazy brake dusting. Factor in some slotted or drilled/dimpled rotors and expect some more dust. They are pretty good though but when you start pushing them HARD up top, they will fade on the stopping power after some runs. This is where the Hawks come in, especially heated up. Look into Carbotech pads as another option for performance.
I should mention that you should consider your driving style like heavy traffic etc. so you can choose wisely.
Old 11-13-12, 05:47 PM
ninja6o4
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RikTT
You probably have the HPS ones. The BEST initial bite are form the OEM pads but the down side is crazy brake dusting. Factor in some slotted or drilled/dimpled rotors and expect some more dust. They are pretty good though but when you start pushing them HARD up top, they will fade on the stopping power after some runs. This is where the Hawks come in, especially heated up. Look into Carbotech pads as another option for performance.
I should mention that you should consider your driving style like heavy traffic etc. so you can choose wisely.
That's some good information I bought this combo for performance, but my driving style really isn't suited for it... I'm never at the track, or doing high speed runs, and even rarely on the freeway. Most of my driving is city traffic.

The hawks have tons of brake dust as well.. The OEM put out even more dust than them??
Old 11-14-12, 12:58 PM
RikTT
Pole Position

The Oem TT pads will dust a bit more and instead of the Hawks grayish brake dust build up, the TT's will almost be a blackish build up. Great for dark wheels but anything shiny, oh boy lol Factor in your city driving, like myself and it will be a bit more than usual driving. Project Mu's are pretty good and you can try the StopTech pads as well. The Carbotechs I mentioned prior are far more performance oriented so those might be out as a choice based on what you said. The OEM pads are great but that's if you don't mind dusting/washing the wheels a little more often

OP, don't forget about trimming the dust sheilds on the TT brake upgrade.
Old 11-14-12, 01:03 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

i personally would run Carbotech XP10 up front for DD. just due to my driving style. though youll need to warm them a little to get good friction they are awesome on my buddies S2k.

i drive in traffic anyways so they are always warm
Old 11-19-12, 06:08 PM
Jonb42
Driver

Alright so I put the brakes on the car today. The front calipers from the tt supra are direct bolt on. I used the Dba 5000 rotors which are sick with hawk hps pads and goodridge brake lines. You need to investigate the offset on you wheels. I have enkeni rpf1's 17" off tire rack for the gs and they are super close. There is about 1/4" of Clearance period. Tey definitely will not work with the stock wheels at all without spacers. The supra tt rear calipers will not work with the factory gs setup. But I did some investigating and found out that there is a way to get them to work. You must change the entire hub and other things. I don't have the parts list cause I wasn't going to do it and told them not to waste their time making it up. The benefit doesn't outweigh the cost. As someone said before they are not much better then the gs rears. Although the pads probably have twice the actual friction surface. As far as the front fitiment I didn't have to cut the splash shield. I simply bent it back in a couple places and they seem to be fine. I will take pics tomorrow for everyone. Thanks for all the input from everyone.
Old 11-19-12, 06:57 PM
celm
Pole Position

when u go supta TT calipers up front what offset rim u suppose to use?
Old 04-17-13, 06:41 PM
Luxotic
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have TT calipers you use TT rotors as well right? When purchasing aftermarket rotors you need to look up Supra TT rotors part numbers?
Old 04-17-13, 06:54 PM
Longchampe
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sam12345
Are you racing your car on a track or are you doing lots of driving on curvy roads at high speeds? If you are not overheating your brakes just save your money and keep the stock brakes
Right? The stock brakes are already some of the best out there.

Old 04-18-13, 08:48 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Longchampe
Right? The stock brakes are already some of the best out there.

Old Top Gear Faster = Safer? - YouTube
i dont care what top gear says, the OEM brakes suck. our car is a tank and it def needs more braking power.....now with that said a simple upgrade like better pads/rotors/ss lines/performance brake fluid and the OEM setup is fairly adequate. the LS400 mini BBK and the supra mini BBK are good choices. take a ride with someone who has a real BBK and then you'll see how well they brake compared to the OEM setup
Old 04-24-13, 06:13 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
i dont care what top gear says, the OEM brakes suck. our car is a tank and it def needs more braking power.....now with that said a simple upgrade like better pads/rotors/ss lines/performance brake fluid and the OEM setup is fairly adequate. the LS400 mini BBK and the supra mini BBK are good choices. take a ride with someone who has a real BBK and then you'll see how well they brake compared to the OEM setup
Nope, not unless the brakes overheated from multiple braking. Sorry you are dead wrong.

http://www.autos.com/aftermarket-par...ar-stop-faster

But you will get better feel and modulation as well as reduced brake fade with multiple stops (like on a race track)

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/the-power-to-stop

Last edited by sam12345; 04-24-13 at 06:43 PM.