GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

this door lock DYI was a waste of money for me!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-12, 09:12 PM
Lazy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shouldn't be hard if u get some flexible sockets.. I got all the bolts without putting my hands inside the door shell
Old 10-27-12, 06:37 AM
sho89mtx
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great news, thanks to this post and all your guys helpful pics and utube links, my brother-n-law says he thinks he can do it. Thanks guys!
Old 10-27-12, 05:45 PM
YxUxMADDDD
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Great you finally figured it out. Time to actually do it. Lol ..
Old 10-28-12, 01:17 PM
GHSER7
Lead Lap

Yeah, for me doing the rear door.... I pulled one screw off the outter door handle then turned the entire acutator assy to get to the other screw and make it 10x easier to get the acutator out of the door. just my 2 cents
Old 10-28-12, 02:48 PM
timtim14
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i did this about 6 months ago and was a breeze up until you had to split the actuator case... (this just required slow tedious work with some razors and a putty knife) but i dont think it was difficult at all.
Just some advice make sure your comfortable with the process before you start it

Plus defiantly worth the time saved about 150 bucks
Old 11-03-12, 12:54 PM
sho89mtx
Driver

my brother n law came over today and fixed both of my door lock motors and did them both within less than an hour thanks to you guys. Thanks to everyone in this thread. I'm so excited to have automatic door locks again =)
Old 11-03-12, 11:16 PM
vgrepo
Driver School Candidate

Great thread, I should get to this asap!
Old 11-04-12, 01:49 AM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sho89mtx
my brother n law came over today and fixed both of my door lock motors and did them both within less than an hour thanks to you guys. Thanks to everyone in this thread. I'm so excited to have automatic door locks again =)
See? Not so bad,

5 bolts right?
Old 11-04-12, 01:40 PM
sho89mtx
Driver

Originally Posted by sc300jz
See? Not so bad,

5 bolts right?
wasn't bad for him, but he was like a genius the way he was taking things apart and putting them together. Way too advanced for me, but i'm not mechanical at all!
Old 07-12-13, 11:35 AM
ProfesrLEX
Lead Lap

I have done this DIY for the front and the rear, also replaced all door handles which requires the first part of the DIY. Replacing the actuator in the front door was a success, however the I could not figure out a way to open the plastic actuator housing without cracking it. This was the hardest part of the process. I was also able to get the gear off the motor without buying a gear puller. Total cost was $12 I believe.

I did my rear door yesterday and instead of trying to crack open the actuator housing, and glue it back together again I just bought a whole new actuator.

My advice would be to read as much as you can of the diy, watch the youtube video, and give your self the whole day to open up the door and figure out the situation in there and get familiar with things. In terms of getting the actual actuator housing out of the doors, the fronts are far more complicated.
Old 07-12-13, 04:43 PM
Riksgs808
Lead Lap

The front just seems more complicated cuz the window comes out and there is a bunch of crap on the ground to put back. But I could never figure out why the side view mirror needed to come out. The back seemed a little more complicated to me, for the fact of getting the actuator out.
Old 07-12-13, 08:04 PM
ProfesrLEX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Riksgs808
The front just seems more complicated cuz the window comes out and there is a bunch of crap on the ground to put back. But I could never figure out why the side view mirror needed to come out. The back seemed a little more complicated to me, for the fact of getting the actuator out.

The side view mirror definitely does not need to come off. And actually if you read the whole thread I don't think you need to take the window glass out either, although I did. You just have to separate out all the screws and maybe label which ones came from where on paper so you don't confuse yourself. Taking pictures of things before you remove them also helps.

If anyone is concerned about doing the rear doors consult this the following 2 threads. Once you know the trick, the rears are 10 times easier than the fronts, there is much less going on than in the front doors.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...epair-diy.html

I also describe the process in the 3rd page of this thread, but the only part that is relevant is step #2 near the bottom of the page

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...se-help-3.html

Old 07-12-13, 08:23 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Eh, I don't get what's so hard. I mean, yeah I do a lot of cars and such. But door actuators are on the easier spectrum of things. I can pull the front or rear actuators out without removing the windows or door handles. Usually I can have each one out in less than 10 mins for either the front or rears. You just have to feel around in there for the clips and bolts. If you are trying to see where you are working, then yeah you will have to disassemble everything to be able to see it while you work. It's pretty easy if you just do it all by feeling around in the door panel.
Old 07-13-13, 10:32 AM
Revive
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

+1 no need to remove windows and all that stuff.
Old 07-13-13, 01:25 PM
lo_dit
Lead Lap

for those of you who have bought the motors on ebay for $2~ can you post a keyword search, i've tried looking for it but no luck

Quick Reply: this door lock DYI was a waste of money for me!