GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Aristo TT (MKII) Transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-12, 06:29 AM
gcam77
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aristo TT (MKII) Transmission problems

My 1998 Toyota Aristo TT (MKII) has been having transmission issues for some months now and it seems to be getting worse. I think it has something to do with the ECU that controls the transmission. The problem is sometimes when you start the car and begin to drive the transmission wont change gears and the the Check Engine Light comes on steady and ECT PWR light flashes. When this happens, I would put the transmission in neutral (N), turn off the ignition, restart the car then put the transmission back in drive (D). Most times I only have to do this once fot the car to run properly. This problem is intermittent and unpredictable. I sometimes go for days without any issues, then some days it seems like every time I start the car, I have to restart it for the transmission to work properly. I have taken the car to a local transmission shop and they checked the transmission solenoids and they were all good.

Has any one had this issue or can shed any light as what I may do to resolve this issue?
Old 10-17-12, 08:11 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like the TCU is on it's way out, unless the ECT system has a separate computer. Definitely electronic.
Old 10-17-12, 02:08 PM
Hardrvin
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

^ going to disagree. Ecu issues are fairly rare in toyota products and i havent heard of them yet with the gs specifically. Id more likely say a solenoid is dirty (realize you said you had it checked but given the intermitten nature it would be hard to diagnose) or a sensor is going bad.
Old 08-11-13, 07:01 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by jcat_350
Sounds like the TCU is on it's way out, unless the ECT system has a separate computer. Definitely electronic.
yes - the main ECU controls the transmission on Aristo

Originally Posted by Hardrvin
^ going to disagree. Ecu issues are fairly rare in toyota products and i havent heard of them yet with the gs specifically. Id more likely say a solenoid is dirty (realize you said you had it checked but given the intermitten nature it would be hard to diagnose) or a sensor is going bad.
going to have to disagree back, ECU issues are actually fairly common on Toyota products, especially as they get older, specifically leaking ECU capacitors
Old 08-12-13, 09:43 AM
gcam77
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I solved the issue with the transmission problem I was having. Turns out that the HKS speed delimiter was causing the problems, I removed it and now the transmission is good as new.
Old 09-10-22, 05:05 PM
Booost
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gcam77
I solved the issue with the transmission problem I was having. Turns out that the HKS speed delimiter was causing the problems, I removed it and now the transmission is good as new.
hey i know this is a old thread, but my aristo is doing the exact same thing. Were you ever able to put the hks delimiter back on? And did the issue ever come back?