GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

5k or 7.5k Mobile 1 synthetic oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-12, 03:34 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Cheap synthetic, 10k, good synthetic like Amsoil (the high TBN oils), 25k isn't a big deal at all.
Old 10-16-12, 04:30 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

there's no clear answer and no two people will tell you the same thing. Check your oil now and then and when it's time, it's time. At minimum 5k/6mo whichever comes first if it sits a lot, idles a lot, stop n go traffic, severe driving. The less you have of any of those conditions, extend the interval accordingly.
Old 10-16-12, 04:52 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Oil Analysis is best to do, but I have always felt that the price of Oil Analysis usually trumps the cost of the oil change. If you are a tree hugger, then you for sure don't wanna change oil often.

I would honestly see what Lexus recommends. Don't buy into what the salesmen say that you need to change it every 3k if you drive any of the "conditions" even once. That is a bunch of Malarky....

No one but you know how much dirt you drive in and the conditions. Most cars today are well temperature controlled and the oil temps are fairly consistent, and only climb in 100F heat stop and go harsh driving, and even then, likely not much.

Look at it this way, study people's oil analysis on Bob Is The Oil Guy, take a statistical average and see if you can see at what point, with what oil, the oil is breaking down to a point it NEEDS to be changed, then buffer it a little, and use best judgement.

I say 10k miles on a decent synthetic like Mobil 1 is fine. If you go this route, take around 1.1 TBN loss per 1000 miles, average driving. Find out the TBN of the oil you use, and you have a pretty good idea of life. Accurate? No, Safe, yes.
Old 10-16-12, 09:47 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by RamAirRckt
Oil Analysis is best to do, but I have always felt that the price of Oil Analysis usually trumps the cost of the oil change. If you are a tree hugger, then you for sure don't wanna change oil often.

I would honestly see what Lexus recommends. Don't buy into what the salesmen say that you need to change it every 3k if you drive any of the "conditions" even once. That is a bunch of Malarky....

No one but you know how much dirt you drive in and the conditions. Most cars today are well temperature controlled and the oil temps are fairly consistent, and only climb in 100F heat stop and go harsh driving, and even then, likely not much.

Look at it this way, study people's oil analysis on Bob Is The Oil Guy, take a statistical average and see if you can see at what point, with what oil, the oil is breaking down to a point it NEEDS to be changed, then buffer it a little, and use best judgement.

I say 10k miles on a decent synthetic like Mobil 1 is fine. If you go this route, take around 1.1 TBN loss per 1000 miles, average driving. Find out the TBN of the oil you use, and you have a pretty good idea of life. Accurate? No, Safe, yes.
Yep, I'm with this guy.. Usually, I've always changed my oil at 5K or alittle before using Mobil 1 Syn, No If's And or But's about it. when 5K comes I change it even after switching from Dino to Syn. Lately, I drive mostly Hwy so I've been hitting 6K to 6.5K by the time I get around to doing an oil change then this last time i hit 6600, (Lexus manual say you can do 7500 if mostly Hwy) but I want to be sure its SAFE so I had my oil analyze by Blackstone. Yep, my TBN was 3.3 and Blackstone suggest i can go atleast 7500-8500 on my next interval. So RamAirRckt, is right it depends on YOUR situation, where you live, where you drive and your conditions.. My Conditions is very light duty with avg trips 10-40 miles each time and i do trips every month around 700 miles in one weekend so I get alot of hwy time. With that my situation i can go easily 7500 or 8500 and probably have good TBN left. So, theres no right or wrong mileage- "it depends", when in doubt change your oil but if you have time get your oil analyze for the real deal on whats going on with your oil.
Old 10-16-12, 10:54 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

When I was in the Army I can think of 1 time I ever changed the oil in my truck, or any truck in my platoon. 1 time. We did oil analysis every 6 months or so, (can't recall exactly) and they told us to change the filters or change the oil or as usual, do nothing. We often would go years on 15W40 dino oil. Granted, we had 30 quart sumps and oil coolers.

I think oil can last a very very long time as long as the TBN is monitored. I just would like to find a simple way to check the TBN at home....