GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
Old 01-06-15, 02:53 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

Weird squeaking noise from wheel please help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-12, 04:30 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 177 Likes on 149 Posts
Default Weird squeaking noise from wheel please help!

What up CL I have an 01 GS430 and I noticed when cruising I hear a constant squeaking noise coming from the passenger wheel that's sounds like its each time the wheel spins it squeaks. It squeaks like every second your crushing and I think it stops a little when I tap on the brakes. It just got down to 50 degree weather in NYC and that's when I started noticing it when it got colder. Does anyone know what this is? Wheel bearing? Seized caliper? Any input is appreciated. Thanks
Old 10-08-12, 04:45 PM
GS4hunnit
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Possibly ball joints. You sure its coming from the wheel or just down there on the passenger side in general?
Old 10-08-12, 07:15 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

The lower ball joints are fairly new as I got them 20k miles ago and the upper control arms I literally just replaced last week. Unless its cuz their new? Their oem from Sewell not aftermarket
Old 10-08-12, 07:16 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Default .

The upper control arms and tie rods were bad could tht hve possibly ruined the brand new lower ball joints?
Old 10-08-12, 08:10 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Go push up and down on the passenger side fender/hood then go from there..
Old 10-08-12, 09:17 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FlockoGS4
What's that gonna do? You mean bounce test the strut?
Old 10-09-12, 01:22 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

I noticed the sound comes from the back too. What can it possibly be. It tends to go away once the car warms up. Any ideas anyone?
Old 10-09-12, 01:27 PM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You need to get it on a lift and do a visual inspection of any tears, looseness etc
Old 10-09-12, 02:17 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DMPesso
What up CL I have an 01 GS430 and I noticed when cruising I hear a constant squeaking noise coming from the passenger wheel that's sounds like its each time the wheel spins it squeaks. It squeaks like every second your crushing and I think it stops a little when I tap on the brakes. It just got down to 50 degree weather in NYC and that's when I started noticing it when it got colder. Does anyone know what this is? Wheel bearing? Seized caliper? Any input is appreciated. Thanks
I don't mean to come across sarcastically, but you're going to need to be more specific about your description in order for us to help you narrow down the cause.

1) Which passenger wheel? Front, back?
2) Constant squeak like bouncing on a mattress? Or Constant like a continuous pitch whine, or squeal?
3) Crushing?
4) Stops a little with braking? Like completely gone, briefly? Or squeak isn't as loud, but still there?

Depending on nature of symptoms, I think it's either a bad bushing, or a wheel bearing.

Got any more clues?
Old 10-09-12, 02:27 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

The upper control arms and tie rods were bad could tht hve possibly ruined the brand new lower ball joints?
Not likely.

Originally Posted by FlockoGS4
^+1

What's that gonna do? You mean bounce test the strut?
Yes. It might help narrow down which wheel.

I noticed the sound comes from the back too. What can it possibly be. It tends to go away once the car warms up. Any ideas anyone?
If bounce test causes squeak, then it's a bad bushing. My money's on the axle carrier bushing, or lateral arm (think that's what it's called) bushing on the spindle. I just got finished replacing my carrier bushings. NOT FUN!! FIGS FTW!!

Originally Posted by repugnante
You need to get it on a lift and do a visual inspection of any tears, looseness etc
If the cause was any of the above, it probably won't be revealed in a visual inspection. I'd still do one anyway.

Let us know what you find out.
Old 10-09-12, 02:31 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Yea exactly like a mattress squeaking and I notice it from the front passenger side and rear driver side. It's not a constant squeaking noise it's like exactly you described like a mattress squeaking then tends to go away once the car warms up and it seems to go away once I press the brakes but its hard to tell as my brakes kind of squeak as well. Any ideas?
Old 10-09-12, 02:33 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Default .

Is there any way you can show me what this spindle bushing looks like and what arm you speak of so I know what your taking about. Thanks

Originally Posted by Blanco
Not likely.

^+1

Yes. It might help narrow down which wheel.

If bounce test causes squeak, then it's a bad bushing. My money's on the axle carrier bushing, or lateral arm (think that's what it's called) bushing on the spindle. I just got finished replacing my carrier bushings. NOT FUN!! FIGS FTW!!

If the cause was any of the above, it probably won't be revealed in a visual inspection. I'd still do one anyway.

Let us know what you find out.
Old 10-09-12, 02:40 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

I'm at work and limited what I can post, but look at this diagram. The bushing is either on one end of part #48710A, or at the bottom (near dotted line) of part #42304.
Attached Thumbnails Weird squeaking noise from wheel please help!-481184.jpg  
Old 10-09-12, 02:47 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

The bushing for 42304 is NOT available from Sewell. They only sell the whole spindle with bushing already attached, but it's not cheap. I suspect the same is true for 48710 as well, but I haven't had to replace that one yet. Just doused it with copious amounts of silicone spray while I was in there doing the carrier bushings.

The sound is gone. If it comes back anytime soon then I know it's 48710, and I'll have to hunt down another pair of bushings.

It might help if you can have someone bounce test while you get your head down there with some light. My wife helped me narrow it down to the carrier bushings. There's a DIY in the suspension subforum.

I'm about to send Sakataj the tool I made to get those bushings out. Maybe when he's done with it, he can ship it to you for a small fee.
Old 10-09-12, 02:56 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

This is sounding like a brake issue to me... like a missing brake clip or cheap pads.

Does the squeak frequency go up with speed? Given that it goes away with temp, that's in-line with brakes.

Quick Reply: Weird squeaking noise from wheel please help!