GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
Old 01-06-15, 02:53 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

Weird squeaking noise from wheel please help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-12, 02:59 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BayAreaLex
This is sounding like a brake issue to me... like a missing brake clip or cheap pads.

Does the squeak frequency go up with speed? Given that it goes away with temp, that's in-line with brakes.
That's why I +1 Flocko's comment about bounce testing. If the car is cold, just walk up to it and bounce test. If it squeaks, it's bushings. If you have to be driving it to replicate the sound, then yeah, I'd say brakes.
Old 10-10-12, 04:02 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 177 Likes on 149 Posts

Yea I know about the rear knuckle problem I had that problem on my last gs300 but it didn't make a noise. I doubt it's the problem it feels more like a brake or wheel problem as it makes the sound ima fashion similar to mattress squeaking sounding like it happens every time the wheel spins but I could be wrong. Funny I never noticed it until changing the rear strut mounts. Could the mechanic have messed something up?
Old 10-10-12, 06:08 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DMPesso
Yea I know about the rear knuckle problem I had that problem on my last gs300 but it didn't make a noise. I doubt it's the problem it feels more like a brake or wheel problem as it makes the sound ima fashion similar to mattress squeaking sounding like it happens every time the wheel spins but I could be wrong. Funny I never noticed it until changing the rear strut mounts. Could the mechanic have messed something up?
Did you bounce test yet??
Old 10-10-12, 08:38 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Yup. Didn't hear anything. I really feel like it might be brake related. Are there any ways to check for seized calipers. Rear rotors and pads were just change few thousand miles ago
Old 10-11-12, 07:03 AM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

No easy way I know of to check the brakes, other than pulling wheels and calipers off and examining them.

You might try posting up in the maintenance sub forum. Mitsuguy is the mod there, and he's a mechanic. He'd probably know.
Old 10-11-12, 05:47 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

if your brakepads are used or near end of life, cut your losses and just bite the bullet, and do a front brake job. Replace rotors/pads AND hardware (clips) and tell your mechanic to be sure to grease up the caliper pins.
My money is this will clear up your problem for the ~$150-200 or so depending on your labor charges.

If your brakes are new, then yes, you need to troubleshoot if further.
Old 10-12-12, 12:43 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Default .

The brakes are actually new but meanwhile they are making squeaking Noises when I press them. I just got them done less then 10k miles ago but when they(rear rotors and pads) were new the fronts were bad so could I have prematurely worn the rear pads by making them work extra hard to compensate for the weak front pads. Because now that I think about it the brakes themselves make noise when I press them so I'm guessing the rear pads are done already. Could the noise be from the worn rear pads? I don't see how they would make noise while I'm cruising if I'm not pressing them at all because aren't the pads not supposed to be touching the rotors unless I press the brake?
Old 10-12-12, 01:41 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Now I've officially confirmed the noise completely goes away with even tapping the brake lightly so it's definitely a brake issue. Now the question is when I replaced the pads the mechanic did the brake pins that I got from Sewell. Could it be he installed them wrong because I've never heard of brake pads doing this wen driving.
Old 10-12-12, 01:47 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Now I've officially confirmed the noise completely goes away with even tapping the brake lightly so it's definitely a brake issue. Now the question is when I replaced the pads the mechanic did the brake pins that I got from Sewell. Could it be he installed them wrong because I've never heard of brake pads doing this wen driving.

Doubt they were installed "wrong" probably just needs lubing, that or the back of the pads need some anti-squeal grease.

Either way a quick disassemble and lube should fix it.
Old 10-12-12, 09:58 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

I'm gonna try and replace the rear pads and see what happens. But is it possible for pads to be causing a noise without even pressing the brakes. It happens when I'm coasting like 10-40 mph
Old 10-12-12, 10:20 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

yes, when brakes are disengaged there isn't a huge spring action that forces them apart like your bicycle brakes. They barely are floating on the disc. If something is sticky or just a bad combo it can cause contact, especially as you noted when brakes are cold.

You have a brake problem. If you want to get rid of the noise, focus on your brakes. If it doesnt' bother you maybe you are fine. If you notice uneven brake pad wear or your car is pulling, then likely a caliper is dragging. If it gets to the stage where it makes a big grinding noise on braking then you've hit the wear clips on the brake pad.

That being said, my akebono proact brakes always squeak on first brake application too on a cold start. If I don't brake, sometimes i hear a little squeal on the first few rotations from the slight imperfections floating/touching. But it's quiet after my first brake.
Old 10-13-12, 03:54 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

So if I take off the pads and the pads are worn more on one side then the other your saying that means I have sticky calipers?
Old 05-09-13, 09:03 AM
Gmach
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Blanco
The bushing for 42304 is NOT available from Sewell. They only sell the whole spindle with bushing already attached, but it's not cheap. I suspect the same is true for 48710 as well, but I haven't had to replace that one yet. Just doused it with copious amounts of silicone spray while I was in there doing the carrier bushings.

The sound is gone. If it comes back anytime soon then I know it's 48710, and I'll have to hunt down another pair of bushings.

It might help if you can have someone bounce test while you get your head down there with some light. My wife helped me narrow it down to the carrier bushings. There's a DIY in the suspension subforum.

I'm about to send Sakataj the tool I made to get those bushings out. Maybe when he's done with it, he can ship it to you for a small fee.
I need to replace the lower bushing on the RR spindle on a 98 ES300. Part number is 42304...on my schematic. It is the bushing that is on the bottom of the spindle were 48780A attaches to the spindle.
Where can I get a replacement bushing?
Anybody got a "how to" to replace it?
Old 05-10-13, 03:56 PM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

What up CL I have an 01 GS430 and I noticed when cruising I hear a constant squeaking noise coming from the passenger wheel that's sounds like its each time the wheel spins it squeaks. It squeaks like every second your crushing and I think it stops a little when I tap on the brakes. It just got down to 50 degree weather in NYC and that's when I started noticing it when it got colder. Does anyone know what this is? Wheel bearing? Seized caliper? Any input is appreciated. Thanks
Sounds like it could be the caliper slide pin is not lubed.
Old 05-11-13, 07:28 AM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Gmach
I need to replace the lower bushing on the RR spindle on a 98 ES300. Part number is 42304...on my schematic. It is the bushing that is on the bottom of the spindle were 48780A attaches to the spindle.
Where can I get a replacement bushing?
Anybody got a "how to" to replace it?
I can only guess ebay, or that New Zealand shop might have what you need. Might have better luck posting your request on the ES forum, or maybe the maintenance forum.

Although there is a DIY in the 2GS suspension forum with pics that'll give you a general idea how do to it on your ES.

Quick Reply: Weird squeaking noise from wheel please help!