GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

*DIY* SIMPLE EASY NO FUSS AUX INPUT for factory headunit

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-12, 04:46 PM
Mcbmatt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a link on how to connect RCA cables to the changer input? I don't need to ise the changer...

PS car has NAV

Or any aftermarket adapter? There seems to be a few avail.

Thanks
Old 10-31-12, 09:50 AM
99GSThree
Driver

Jay did the mod to my radio a week or so back....works well.
The only issue i have is that when i have it plugged in at the same time i am charging my iPhone,i get some noticeable alternator whine through the speakers. As soon as i unplug the charger from the phone,it goes away. This did not happen when i was using the cassette type adapter. Not really a deal breaker,i just turn up the volume louder. And yes,like others have said,turn down the volume on your device when the aux is plugged in or it will be distorted. If you have used the cassette type input before,you will know this is the same.
Old 10-31-12, 09:52 AM
adamgamz
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 99GSThree
Jay did the mod to my radio a week or so back....works well.
The only issue i have is that when i have it plugged in at the same time i am charging my iPhone,i get some noticeable alternator whine through the speakers. As soon as i unplug the charger from the phone,it goes away. This did not happen when i was using the cassette type adapter. Not really a deal breaker,i just turn up the volume louder. And yes,like others have said,turn down the volume on your device when the aux is plugged in or it will be distorted. If you have used the cassette type input before,you will know this is the same.
How is the sound quality? Any better than the cassette?
Old 10-31-12, 09:57 AM
99GSThree
Driver

Originally Posted by adamgamz
How is the sound quality? Any better than the cassette?
Slightly. Overall i am pretty happy with it. Sound quality won't blow you away,but it's a 13 year old radio

Now if Jay could figure out how to adapt Bluetooth Audio to our radios,that would be nice!! .........wishful thinking.
No wires would be nice.
Old 10-31-12, 02:29 PM
lexmajor
Driver School Candidate

Talking

Great write up, it was pretty easy for me and i suck at soldering. thanks bro
Old 10-31-12, 08:52 PM
JayNunu
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys. I have the 01+ Pioneer w/RDS open on my desk at the moment. Looks like I will be able to do this one too. A little bit more tricky, just cause the tuner section is integrated into the main circuit board.

And I just opened up the radio and found the tuner inputs and outputs and used the plug in-line to interrupt the radio signal when plugged in.
Old 11-01-12, 11:32 AM
luda42688
Lead Lap

So i guess this wont work with Naki units? Or at least havent been figured out yet
Old 11-01-12, 03:40 PM
JayNunu
Rookie

If someone wants to send me a Nak unit I'll be glad to open it up and try to figure it out. But not yet...
Old 11-08-12, 11:35 AM
adamgamz
Lead Lap

I got the radio back from Jay and I couldn't be happier. The sounds quality is leaps and bounds better than the cassette adapter I was using. Thanks so much Jay. I have a light out in the radio now, maybe it broke in shipping? The left side of the display is darker than the right. I need to find someone to help me with the LED upgrade I was planning to do. Thanks again Jay, and your packing was top notch with those custom foam pieces lol.

Old 11-08-12, 10:32 PM
JayNunu
Rookie

Originally Posted by adamgamz
I got the radio back from Jay and I couldn't be happier. The sounds quality is leaps and bounds better than the cassette adapter I was using. Thanks so much Jay. I have a light out in the radio now, maybe it broke in shipping? The left side of the display is darker than the right. I need to find someone to help me with the LED upgrade I was planning to do. Thanks again Jay, and your packing was top notch with those custom foam pieces lol.

You are very welcome! Took a little longer than I wanted it to due to getting a nasty sinus infection that kicked my butt, but it turned out really nice. I was happy that I was able to fit the jack above the "RDS".

And for everyone else with the newer HU, I will be posting pictures tomorrow after work to show you where to solder the leads.

Again... If anyone wants to send me the NAK unit, I am more than willing to figure that out as well.

And so I don't get myself in trouble by "selling a service", I am doing this for free for members to help let others enjoy what I have figured out.

Last edited by JayNunu; 11-09-12 at 07:19 AM.
Old 11-09-12, 04:46 AM
adamgamz
Lead Lap

I think the bulb breaking was on my packing, I only used newspaper and I know my box took a 3 foot fall when I dropped it into the empty USPS mailbox.

Last edited by adamgamz; 11-09-12 at 08:22 AM.
Old 11-09-12, 08:27 AM
RikTT
Pole Position

Cool. Thanks for helping out with your time Jay as well as Adam for supplying the HU. Looking forward to the write up on the 01+ HU
Old 11-10-12, 08:09 PM
YxUxMADDDD
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Finally, you did a radio with RDS. I'm assuming it was like the pictures I've attached earlier in the post where the top tray didn't have a circuit right?

Originally Posted by JayNunu
You are very welcome! Took a little longer than I wanted it to due to getting a nasty sinus infection that kicked my butt, but it turned out really nice. I was happy that I was able to fit the jack above the "RDS".

And for everyone else with the newer HU, I will be posting pictures tomorrow after work to show you where to solder the leads.

Again... If anyone wants to send me the NAK unit, I am more than willing to figure that out as well.

And so I don't get myself in trouble by "selling a service", I am doing this for free for members to help let others enjoy what I have figured out.
Old 11-10-12, 09:04 PM
vipXjunky
Lexus Test Driver

no love for the Mark Levinson Navigation unit? XD
Old 11-12-12, 10:12 AM
adamgamz
Lead Lap

Yes mine was just like that, I took it apart and discovered the same thing before sending it off

Originally Posted by YxUxMADDDD
Finally, you did a radio with RDS. I'm assuming it was like the pictures I've attached earlier in the post where the top tray didn't have a circuit right?

Quick Reply: *DIY* SIMPLE EASY NO FUSS AUX INPUT for factory headunit