GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

*DIY* SIMPLE EASY NO FUSS AUX INPUT for factory headunit

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-16, 03:59 PM
SHOoff11
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can this mod be done with this unit?

Old 02-16-16, 11:20 PM
Bcroush
Driver School Candidate

I did this on a Mark Levinson navigation head unit last week and it worked. I used a switch in the face plate to switch between radio and aux. I used a switch because I don't want any relay coils near my audio signal. I put the aux plug in the center console. It took allot of cutting to get the switch in but works great. You could easily use the same method as the op with the aux cord doing the switching as long as it fit in the givin area. I also used old usb wire so it was sheilded. My only problem is a ground loop buzz that I cannot locate. I don't want a line filter because of signal degradation. I tried a noise filter in the power to the cig lighter and it killed 80+℅ but still trying to nail it down.

Red - R+ tuner<br/>Black - L+ tuner<br/>Green - R+ amp<br/>White - L+ amp<br/> don't forget your common wire

Up is aux<br/>Down is radio

Last edited by Bcroush; 02-17-16 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-17-16, 05:59 PM
bruceb58
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Those are some pretty nasty solder joints.
Old 02-17-16, 11:03 PM
Bcroush
Driver School Candidate

Well to be fair this was for mock up and testing. As you can see the traces are not cut there is no shield on that wire and as I noted I used shielded USB.
Old 02-18-16, 12:28 PM
SHOoff11
Driver

I may have to give this a try then. Is the common wire the ground wire?
Old 02-18-16, 05:27 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Awesome!
Can't wait to get another GS3 so I can work on this mod.

May make a trip to pick and pull and look for a radio to work on until the car gets here
Old 02-18-16, 06:08 PM
Bcroush
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SHOoff11
I may have to give this a try then. Is the common wire the ground wire?
Basically.... If you look at the pic with the wires you can see the terminal all the way left that's part of the larger pad. That's the common which also is tied to the case ground
Old 02-18-16, 08:00 PM
2damnlowgs
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow thanks for this!!!
Old 05-09-16, 08:21 AM
bholio
Driver School Candidate

Just did this mod on an LS400. Although the tuner board is not identical to the OP, it was pretty close with that strange tall connector from the amplifier to the tuner.

Here is the weird thing, and let me know if I need to fix this:
It was easy to find pins 1,2,5 (as in the original post) because they were in the same location and labeled SGND, TUL and TUR or something. So, for testing purposes we soldered a simpler 3-pin jack to those 3 pins and hooked it up. At best, I was expecting to hear the aux jack mixed together with whatever was coming out of the tuner. The plan was to see if we got that part right, then do the rest of the pins and the trace cutting.

However, as soon as something starts playing over the aux jack, the tuner cuts out. If you unplug the cable, the tuner starts right up. If you pause the aux jack for long enough, then tuner starts back up. Its as if the tuner gets upset about the aux jack signal and shuts down. No idea if this is bad or not, but we put it all back together and are going with it for now.

The one downside is occasionally, if on a strong station, the tuner might kick in between aux-input tracks.

The hardest part was making space for jack on the radio face. Our jack is to the left of the cassette opening. The aux jack wasn't deep enough to go all the way thru the faceplate material and still have enough room to screw on the retaining ring. Some careful dremelling took care of it. If there is such a thing as a deeper aux jack, try to find one. The little 3 plug one seems to be the same size as the radio shack one.
Old 07-16-17, 05:29 AM
1JAYZ
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Bit of a thread dig but...due to the recent updated photobucket terms of service, all the photos from the OP have vanished Is anyone whos completed this mod still active (or the OP for that matter?) and would be able to re upload or take some new photos? Had bought all the parts to do this and was all ready then went to refer to the photos and they were no more Have PMd JayNunu also
Old 07-16-17, 06:16 AM
JonGS3
Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by 1JAYZ
Bit of a thread dig but...due to the recent updated photobucket terms of service, all the photos from the OP have vanished Is anyone whos completed this mod still active (or the OP for that matter?) and would be able to re upload or take some new photos? Had bought all the parts to do this and was all ready then went to refer to the photos and they were no more Have PMd JayNunu also
Man I'm having that same problem too as a new member. All of the old guides and DIYs are here don't have pics anymore and it sucks.
Old 07-18-17, 05:26 AM
1JAYZ
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JonGS3
Man I'm having that same problem too as a new member. All of the old guides and DIYs are here don't have pics anymore and it sucks.
UPDATE: I have managed to get the photos back from the dead after jumping through a lot of hoops with photobucket, managed to get them down local. Once I have completed the mod I will re-upload some fresh high-res photos of the circuit diagram etc on a non blackmail oriented hosting website. Keen!
Old 07-18-17, 02:30 PM
Mandrake
Pole Position

Epic! In for new pics.
Old 07-18-17, 04:02 PM
JonGS3
Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts

Well while we're on the topic of aux inputs, I've seen a few devices on ebay that supposedly act as an aux input by replacing the CD changer. Has anyone tried one of these? Here's one for example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-USB-MP3-...xYFrzF&vxp=mtr

I just got my GS so I haven't been able to dig into it yet but something like this seems like an easy solution.
Old 07-19-17, 06:32 AM
Mandrake
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JonGS3
Well while we're on the topic of aux inputs, I've seen a few devices on ebay that supposedly act as an aux input by replacing the CD changer. Has anyone tried one of these? Here's one for example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-USB-MP3-...xYFrzF&vxp=mtr

I just got my GS so I haven't been able to dig into it yet but something like this seems like an easy solution.
I also found an unbranded bluetooth unit that looks similar part number EN 50498:2010 or E-9809 such as ebay item 262750820985 from sannie18. I like this one because it comes with the microphone for hands free calling. To be honest however, for $62, its a lot. I've had good quality bluetooth head units for $85 before. I have an iSimple ISFM2351 bluetooth FM transceiver in my JZS147 and I paid close to $70 for it but I specifically wanted to keep the JDM head unit in that one so thats why I bought that.

Quick Reply: *DIY* SIMPLE EASY NO FUSS AUX INPUT for factory headunit