GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

*DIY* SIMPLE EASY NO FUSS AUX INPUT for factory headunit

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-15, 12:06 PM
westy2015
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Folks,

ive been reading this post with interest, and attempting to do this to my 2gen GS, however the circuit board is different to the previous 2 that have been posted - im over in the UK and the unit has the RDS feature. Any help much appreciated

*DIY* SIMPLE EASY NO FUSS AUX INPUT for factory headunit-imag0947.jpg

*DIY* SIMPLE EASY NO FUSS AUX INPUT for factory headunit-imag0948.jpg

best regards
Sam
Old 01-12-15, 04:16 AM
xfea
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Default That makes NO sense at all

Originally Posted by JJaySilver
LOL!! I did that months ago, the quality is crap. Dull sound (its like listening to the radio), noticeable hissing noise, very unsatisfying. This mod is CD quality, bass and treble is a bit stronger and cleaner. I'm glad I did this; just till I can save up a grand for that AVIC 8000NEX. LOL.
As in impossible... However if you are charging (plugged into the cigarette lighter with USB charger) while listening to the AUX input you will have static. So you need to ground the lighter to the radio.
Old 01-12-15, 04:20 AM
xfea
Intermediate

Default Mine is RDS

Originally Posted by westy2015
Hi Folks,

ive been reading this post with interest, and attempting to do this to my 2gen GS, however the circuit board is different to the previous 2 that have been posted - im over in the UK and the unit has the RDS feature. Any help much appreciated

Attachment 351340

Attachment 351341

best regards
Sam
Post #120, I did mine over a year ago... Check photos.... 2001 GS 300... Circuit was like the original poster. Good luck.. Great easy mod.
Old 02-21-15, 05:53 AM
Arch11b
Driver School Candidate

Hi Guys,

I attempted to do this mod on 1997 GS300 (pioneer unit) and i have run into 2 problems:

1) when i plug aux jack into socket it has bad connection and i need to wiggle it a little bit to get it sounding good. (is this my bad soldering or socket is faulty? )

2) when i take jack out of socket, radio is completely silent. i can hear speakers ''white noise'' but nothing from radio.

Could You please point me in right direction? what i have done wrong? wasted 4 hours and made my car worse....
Old 02-23-15, 09:27 AM
JayNunu
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would try opening it back up and checking your solder points first. If they are ok and if you have to wiggle it to make it work and the factory doesn't play through, it might be the connection in the switch itself. Hope that helps.

Originally Posted by Arch11b
Hi Guys,

I attempted to do this mod on 1997 GS300 (pioneer unit) and i have run into 2 problems:

1) when i plug aux jack into socket it has bad connection and i need to wiggle it a little bit to get it sounding good. (is this my bad soldering or socket is faulty? )

2) when i take jack out of socket, radio is completely silent. i can hear speakers ''white noise'' but nothing from radio.

Could You please point me in right direction? what i have done wrong? wasted 4 hours and made my car worse....
Old 02-23-15, 09:34 AM
JayNunu
Rookie

Default Apology...

Hey everyone. Sorry about going missing for a while. I know a few of you have Pm'd me about different radios and questions and I am truly sorry I haven't responded. Life happens. I'm happy to see my mod has gotten so much attention and I hope it has helped those of you that tried it. As for the ES300 guys, I haven't had an opportunity to open up one of those head units, so I wouldn't know where to start.
Feel free to ask questions. I will try to check more often.
👍👍👍
The following users liked this post:
Redrobert (04-16-22)
Old 07-03-15, 07:35 PM
GH5T
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried this in my 98" LS400 the switch works beautifully, unfortunately none of the radios other functions are working anymore.
Old 07-21-15, 11:21 AM
Theobear
Driver School Candidate

Smile This works, and it's awesome.

Thank you, JayNunu. I owe you one.

I did this last week to my factory Phillips RDS unit, and it works perfectly. Awesome sound, and if you want radio, just unplug the jack. It's really that easy. This is just what I was looking for because I wanted to retain full use of my CD changer.

I did get ground loop issues when charging, and, rather than take my stereo back out and try to solve that, I just picked up a ground loop isolator from Amazon. Works perfect if you want to charge at the same time. Now I can use the hands free "Hey, Siri" feature of my phone.

Here's a pic.
Attached Thumbnails *DIY* SIMPLE EASY NO FUSS AUX INPUT for factory headunit-img_0139.jpg  
Old 08-07-15, 06:09 PM
crabreezie
Driver School Candidate

i just opened up my headunit for a 01 gs300 and it looks completely different. can someone help?

Old 08-09-15, 05:37 PM
JJaySilver
Pole Position

Originally Posted by xfea
As in impossible... However if you are charging (plugged into the cigarette lighter with USB charger) while listening to the AUX input you will have static. So you need to ground the lighter to the radio.
I know this was replied to me months ago, but I was responding to the guy using the cassette mod. Sound quality from the cassette compared to this aux mod was crap. When I did this mod, I obviously did grounded the lighter to the radio, it was part of this diy...
Old 09-04-15, 10:22 PM
Agent$mith
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just found this post after searching through the site and want to attempt this. JayNunu, you are a genius. I was about to purchase the Vaistech Sl3b unit until I saw this post and it sounded like the cheapest route and looks very clean.

I have a 2001 Lexus GS300 and right now the volume **** potentiometer seems to be acting up like sometimes the volume changes and sometimes it doesn't when I turn it. I was going to open it up and spray it with contact cleaner and check the connections, but while I'm at it, add this aux input.

What gauge wire do you suggest for wiring this? Also for the ground wire from the cigarette lighter to the stereo, are you moving the wire over or making a new wire and connecting the two spots?

Thanks guys.
Old 09-06-15, 07:51 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

I took a different approach to the AUX hack on my brother's GS300.

We soldered directly to the L & R ports on the cassette deck and disconnected the ribbon cable from the cassette head before it goes into the equalizer. I used a $1 stereo extension wire from the dollar store.

I play a blank tape to trick the player into thinking its playing a TAPE, and I can plug in my phone and play music.

Here's how it was done:

Old 09-07-15, 06:43 AM
xfea
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Agent$mith
I just found this post after searching through the site and want to attempt this. JayNunu, you are a genius. I was about to purchase the Vaistech Sl3b unit until I saw this post and it sounded like the cheapest route and looks very clean.

I have a 2001 Lexus GS300 and right now the volume **** potentiometer seems to be acting up like sometimes the volume changes and sometimes it doesn't when I turn it. I was going to open it up and spray it with contact cleaner and check the connections, but while I'm at it, add this aux input.

What gauge wire do you suggest for wiring this? Also for the ground wire from the cigarette lighter to the stereo, are you moving the wire over or making a new wire and connecting the two spots?

Thanks guys.
This works like a charm....
Use the thinnest wire you can get.... You're patching a circuit board.
I had a multi strand phone cable and pulled a few from that.
Needs to be flexible.
As for the ground wire... That's all new.
Thing is.... Listen to music is easy on the phone battery so I almost never charge and stream music.
Good luck... Follow as per instructions!
Old 09-07-15, 10:41 AM
Agent$mith
Intermediate

Originally Posted by xfea
This works like a charm....
Use the thinnest wire you can get.... You're patching a circuit board.
I had a multi strand phone cable and pulled a few from that.
Needs to be flexible.
As for the ground wire... That's all new.
Thing is.... Listen to music is easy on the phone battery so I almost never charge and stream music.
Good luck... Follow as per instructions!
Thanks Xfea for replying to my post. I sadly don't have any wire laying around so I was going to go to radioshack and get some. I googled and people were using 22 awg wire so I think I'll go with that. Ahh thanks for letting me know about the ground wire for the cigarette lighter. I'll make a new wire and wire that to the bottom stereo 10mm screws holding it to the bracket if that is correct. I was going to stream via spotify through it so I need to charge it. This is going to be a fun project.

Last edited by Agent$mith; 09-07-15 at 01:17 PM.
Old 09-12-15, 11:40 AM
Agent$mith
Intermediate

Can anyone help me out? This project turned out to be a pain in the butt because my soldering tip started to go bad.

Xfea can you tell me what wire to ground from on that attached picture? I grounded it from the bottom left on that black wire to the bottom right screw of the stereo, but shorted the fuse twice so I don't think I'm doing it right.

Thanks guys,
Johnny

Last edited by Agent$mith; 09-13-15 at 08:53 PM.

Quick Reply: *DIY* SIMPLE EASY NO FUSS AUX INPUT for factory headunit