GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

My newly purchased 98' GS400

Old 09-09-12, 01:29 PM
vipers
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My newly purchased 98' GS400

hello everyone! just thought id make a thread about my car since its at the beginning stages its a 98' GS400.. just bought it yesterday. i have already purchased wheels, coilovers, a wing, and a few other tidbits to get me started. all help/advice/input is well recieved

sorry about the crappy cell phone pics. i havnt pulled out the good camera yet and ive had the car less then 24 hours.

and these are the wheels... Linea Corsa LC818s 19x8.5/19x10... and suprised/nervous because i havnt seen a single pic of these wheels on a 2GS. just need to grab some tires and wait for the coilovers to come in the mail, roll the fenders and these will be put on

and heres a few of my last cars.

my 100% swapped 2002 Subaru STI

and my 06 Evolution IX RS i had before the Subie

Old 09-09-12, 03:13 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

so you where the ones that swooped on those linea corse

lets see pictures of how they look on the car!
Old 09-09-12, 03:54 PM
perry05g35
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Are these the lineas that had the cracks in them for sale? I almost got them wasn't comfortable with the cracks. Don't forget to get a set of hubcentric rings. Our GS are prone to wheel vibration for just about anything out of factory specs.
Old 09-09-12, 05:01 PM
vipers
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
so you where the ones that swooped on those linea corse

lets see pictures of how they look on the car!
hahaha, guilty as charged i love these wheels and was seriously gonna pull the trigger on a brand new set from wheeldude for $1,300... but decided to check for used ones just in case.. viola! lol... i think they will look great on the car.. i was a bit nervous about the fitment, but i checked today on the fitment thread and these are well within the "reasonable size and offset" that i wont have to get crazy with a fender roller

and ill snap many more pics once i get them on because by then, the car will have a few other small additions as well.

Originally Posted by perry05g35
Are these the lineas that had the cracks in them for sale? I almost got them wasn't comfortable with the cracks. Don't forget to get a set of hubcentric rings. Our GS are prone to wheel vibration for just about anything out of factory specs.
yeah, these are them... theres only 1 crack thats even remotely sketchy.. and ive had cracks repaired on a few wheels before, and they were perfectly fine after.. so i wasnt worried. $75 and they will be perfect again the curbage actually is very minimal as well

and thank you for the advice on the hubcentric rings.. any way you can send me a link to the proper ones to buy?
Old 09-09-12, 06:21 PM
robertoyou
Advanced

if the stock rims are in good condition- would you be interested in selling them?
Old 09-09-12, 06:24 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

any fender rolling or shaving needed to be done with these rims?
Old 09-09-12, 06:47 PM
vipers
Rookie

Originally Posted by robertoyou
if the stock rims are in good condition- would you be interested in selling them?
they are in great shape.. but im gonna hold onto them as backups. always good to have a spare set just in case.

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
any fender rolling or shaving needed to be done with these rims?
not sure yet.. but ill assume the rears will have to be rolled. ill hopefully have them on within the next 2 weeks or so. need to wait for things to come in the mail.
Old 09-09-12, 06:47 PM
PUREgs
Pole Position

Welcome! Nice cars.....i wanna see what you do to the gs and i wanna see what those rims look like on the car too.
Old 09-11-12, 02:33 AM
vipers
Rookie

Originally Posted by PUREgs
Welcome! Nice cars.....i wanna see what you do to the gs and i wanna see what those rims look like on the car too.
thank you! and i do too! lol..ansy to get them on

alright...update (but no pics... sorry)

1. got the windows tinted...looks much much better now!

2. ordered my tires for the rims.. sent the 1 wheel out to get repaired. will have the wheels and tires mounted tomorrow, but not on the car until the suspension gets here.

3. ordered some Megan EZ coilovers.. they put a rush on shipping so hopefully they will be here either tomorrow or wendesday.

4. ordered a nice PIONEER double-din headunit.. and will be purchasing all new speakers in the next few days.

5. called my paintless dent remover guy to come out later this month to remove any and all dent in the car.. he is a master of his craft!

6. called my detailer guy, and will be getting a full paint correction job done on her this month as well.

ill start posting up more pics once the ball starts rolling and its not just "purchased" talk
Old 09-11-12, 03:59 AM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

Again , i would keep the factory 17 inch chromes.The 17 inch gs Lexus wheels are very unique now a days,Anything above 17 inch wheels and you will put a beating on your suspension, this is just from my experience.
Old 09-11-12, 03:22 PM
robertoyou
Advanced

Originally Posted by vipers
they are in great shape.. but im gonna hold onto them as backups. always good to have a spare set just in case.
Damn. okay. let me kow if you decide to sell
Old 09-11-12, 03:40 PM
puff
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by vipers
not sure yet.. but ill assume the rears will have to be rolled. ill hopefully have them on within the next 2 weeks or so. need to wait for things to come in the mail.
Welcome and congrats on your new pick up. One word of advice don't roll the rears. Get them shaved. This is what 99% of us do.
Old 09-11-12, 03:57 PM
Lexusfam
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You went from those two cars to a GS? Especially that sexy *** sti. Whats the story? I prefer rear wheel drive cars over awd but that's a big leap in platforms you took.
Old 09-11-12, 04:29 PM
Kzem
Pole Position

looks sweet. cant wait to see what you're going do to it
Old 09-11-12, 05:27 PM
vipers
Rookie

Originally Posted by lextout
Again , i would keep the factory 17 inch chromes.The 17 inch gs Lexus wheels are very unique now a days,Anything above 17 inch wheels and you will put a beating on your suspension, this is just from my experience.
nah, i cant keep things stock.. the wheels look ok, but too small for such a big car imo. and larger wheels, if properly balanced should have no extra effect on suspension. heavier wheels will have more strain on the drivetrain though.

Originally Posted by robertoyou
Damn. okay. let me kow if you decide to sell
will do

Originally Posted by puff
Welcome and congrats on your new pick up. One word of advice don't roll the rears. Get them shaved. This is what 99% of us do.
thank you! ill have to look into what you mean about shaving them.. like cutting the inner lip out?

Originally Posted by Lexusfam
You went from those two cars to a GS? Especially that sexy *** sti. Whats the story? I prefer rear wheel drive cars over awd but that's a big leap in platforms you took.
both of those cars were my daily drivers.. both had VERY stiff suspension.. i built them to be track cars that i happen to drive on the street. and it took its toll on me.. now i just want something smooth and comfortable, that i would never want to put on a racetrack. but yeah, its quite a change.

Originally Posted by Kzem
looks sweet. cant wait to see what you're going do to it
thank you.. at first it will just be small things.. i wont go crazy with this car. just make it look nicer and slightly aggressive.

with that said... i got one of the new tires mounted on a rear rim and did a static test fit to see what they would look like and how much fender work id have to do... i think it looks great and minumal work to be done

the tires. 225/35r19 front and 265/30r19 rear

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My newly purchased 98' GS400