GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

worth $500 for is300 motor no tranny but everything else

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-12, 09:44 AM
S2dannyKeo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation worth $500 for is300 motor no tranny but everything else

hey guys i got a guy that has a motor he pulled out of his is300 because he is doing an ls swap but the motor has 212k miles on it and it well not come with a tranny because he part it out now the only reason i am buying a motor is to build and do a single turbo setup on it so regardless im rebuilding it but is it worth it paying $500 for the motor with the 212k, no tranny even though i plan to rebuild the motor and use my tranny only reason why im doing this is so my car wont be down for i dont know how long
or can i find the motor somewhere else? completed for the same price?
thanks guys.....
Old 08-15-12, 01:20 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

500 ain't BAD.. I mean i've seen them go for less, but if you're gonna use your tranny anyway it's not that big of a deal. I'd offer him 350 or 4 since it has so many miles.
Old 08-15-12, 03:29 PM
puff
Lexus Test Driver

Why spend $500 on a motor when you already have a perfectly good motor to work on already? If you're gonna build a motor then just build your own. If you're going turbo, you're going to have some down time anyway so IMHO buying another motor just to save down time doesn't make a lot of sense. That $500 could go towards quite a few other parts that you will need for your turbo build.
Old 08-15-12, 09:51 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by puff
Why spend $500 on a motor when you already have a perfectly good motor to work on already? If you're gonna build a motor then just build your own. If you're going turbo, you're going to have some down time anyway so IMHO buying another motor just to save down time doesn't make a lot of sense. That $500 could go towards quite a few other parts that you will need for your turbo build.
What you say is true, but I think that his GS is one of his main forms of transportation.. Hence why he wants to keep downtime to a minimum.

If he gets another motor and gets that motor rebuilt to his liking and gets everything he needs PLUS has someone that really knows the GE/GTE motors and can pull/plant in the new one his downtime should only be a day or so..

This is partly the reason I was looking to go GTE, so that I could just get the motor and throw it in the garage with no time down or wait while i'm working. I could take off the head and get everything done A1 over a few months then take a weekend to drop it in and fire it up right off top with no problems and keep down time to a minimum.
Old 08-15-12, 10:03 PM
S2dannyKeo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LuxuryGS3
What you say is true, but I think that his GS is one of his main forms of transportation.. Hence why he wants to keep downtime to a minimum.

If he gets another motor and gets that motor rebuilt to his liking and gets everything he needs PLUS has someone that really knows the GE/GTE motors and can pull/plant in the new one his downtime should only be a day or so..

This is partly the reason I was looking to go GTE, so that I could just get the motor and throw it in the garage with no time down or wait while i'm working. I could take off the head and get everything done A1 over a few months then take a weekend to drop it in and fire it up right off top with no problems and keep down time to a minimum.
correct lol my car was just down almost 2 months for paint and body i got it back last week transportation sucked ***** lol and maybe just maybe after the motor work ill get a daily but yeah as the motor the guy supposedly wanted $700 to begin with and the guy i know talked him down to $500 but like i said miles shouldnt matter since im rebuilding it right? so it be like 0 miles then? say virgin? lol
Old 08-16-12, 05:24 AM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by S2dannyKeo
correct lol my car was just down almost 2 months for paint and body i got it back last week transportation sucked ***** lol and maybe just maybe after the motor work ill get a daily but yeah as the motor the guy supposedly wanted $700 to begin with and the guy i know talked him down to $500 but like i said miles shouldnt matter since im rebuilding it right? so it be like 0 miles then? say virgin? lol
Pretty much. Depends on what you plan to do to it and replace.. Honestly while it's out i'd replace all the seals and pulleys etc and of course if you really do plan on pushing the power you were talking about i'd replace the cams also.
Old 08-16-12, 05:42 AM
jriggs
Lead Lap

Think of it as buying a bare block and head casting since you're wanting to rebuild for boost and most of the internals you will change out.

Call your local junk yards and get prices for motors, that'll give you an idea of value.

All things considered spare motors are not a terrible idea when boost is in the equation. Heck I have two spare built bottom ends and three heads for my M3 to minimize down time during race season.
Old 08-16-12, 06:49 AM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jriggs
Think of it as buying a bare block and head casting since you're wanting to rebuild for boost and most of the internals you will change out.

Call your local junk yards and get prices for motors, that'll give you an idea of value.

All things considered spare motors are not a terrible idea when boost is in the equation. Heck I have two spare built bottom ends and three heads for my M3 to minimize down time during race season.
Yeah and if you're boosting you're definitely already planning to throw down AT LEAST 3k, so another 400-500 for an extra motor shouldn't really matter in the end. If you can spend 5k for a build you can spend an extra few bills to help you out in the long run.
Old 08-16-12, 07:43 AM
LayedOut
Rookie

hey guys i got a guy that has a motor he pulled out of his is300 because he is doing an ls swap but the motor has 212k miles on it and it well not come with a tranny because he part it out now the only reason i am buying a motor is to build and do a single turbo setup on it so regardless im rebuilding it but is it worth it paying $500 for the motor with the 212k, no tranny even though i plan to rebuild the motor and use my tranny only reason why im doing this is so my car wont be down for i dont know how long
or can i find the motor somewhere else? completed for the same price?
thanks guys.....
$500 bucks is not bad like everyone else said if you gonna build it the mileage will not matter. just inspect the block well for broken bolt holes cracks and possible some janky block repairs i have ran into a few of those be4. i just bought a 03 is300 longblock when my motor went KABOOM yes it did have under 100k miles but i payed 800 for it with a great discount from a reputable vendor for my shop.
Old 08-17-12, 08:29 AM
S2dannyKeo
Pole Position

Thanks for help guys lol thinking about all the process I gota go through I know in the end it will be worth it
Old 08-17-12, 09:43 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

No, its still going to have 212k worth of wear on it. Depends how aggressive of a build you're doing will determine how 'virgin' she'll be.

I mean, if you buy it, degrease it and shoot it with a pressure washer... then you won't get far.

New rings, clean the block, change internals as necessary [upgrade], then you have a build.