GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Let's Talk Timing Belts

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-12, 11:34 AM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Let's Talk Timing Belts

Hi folks,

Lexus generally recommends having the timing belt replaced at 90K as a service item. We all know that the labor on this is not cheap and can range anywhere between $800 (for a private shop) to upwards of $1500 for a dealer. Not cheap by any means.

Based on what I have read, many people follow that dealer recommendation and do get the timing belt replaced at 90K or close to it.

First, I am 100% in agreement that it's a good idea to get the belt replaced if your car has a significant amount of miles and I am considering having mine replaced soon since I am at 95K on my 2001 GS430 now.

I'm just wondering how many of you guys do not subscribe to replacing the timing belt? I bring this up because we've had no shortage of high mileage cars in our family (as high as 250K miles) running around on original timing belts that never had a problem. In fact my friend and I replaced a timing belt in a 200K mile Mitsubishi Eclipse and the thing looked prestine. I could not see a single wear mark on it and it looked as good as the belt we were replacing it with. Come to think of it, I have not met a single person in my lifetime (31yrs lol) that has had a timing belt go on them.

I guess what I am getting at is this:

1.) How many of you guys have had a timing belt go on you and what was the mileage when it happened?

2.) If the timing belt breaks during operation, is there risk of damage? Or is it just a matter of towing the car to a shop and getting the broken belt replaced then? Now before all those people who spent the $1500 on a belt replacement jump down my throat, I've read that typically newer motors are designed to survive timing belt breaks (self contained similar to an axle break). Unless of course it's an interference engine which are becoming less and less common. An interference engine will typically be destroyed as the pistons smack the valves during the brief time that the cam stops spinning but the cranckshaft still is before the car dies.

3.) Why a timing belt over a timing chain? Most of my previous cars have been equipped with chains and I never even thought about this topic until I got my GS430.

4.) Convince me to replace my belt asap, lol

Let's discuss

Last edited by BayAreaLex; 08-13-12 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-13-12, 12:34 PM
djspawn00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your GS430 is an interference engine just do it.. why be cheap and leave yourself with the headache. Use the search function on here this topic has been covered thoroughly.
Old 08-13-12, 12:46 PM
vipXjunky
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If your belt breaks, it can bend a valve causing u to spend money on a new engine lol
Old 08-13-12, 01:01 PM
pdxgs
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought my GS with 135,000 miles with original timing belt. First thing I did was get it replaced. The mechanic saved the belt for me to look at...it was definitely fatigued, cracks in it and had wear marks. Mechanic said it wouldn't have lasted much longer.

I had a timing chain go on me years ago on a Ford Exploder, had to replace the engine.
Old 08-13-12, 01:17 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Dont play around with the timing belt, bought my GS with 117k miles and i replaced mine at the dealer at 122k miles.......
Old 08-13-12, 01:24 PM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

just let it break, it will give you an excuse to do an LS3 swap...
Old 08-13-12, 02:39 PM
bjohn
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My cas has 190k on it... When I got my belt off, it looked like new. It's preventative maintenance, just like serpentine belts. I did it myself and spend around $150 lol.
Old 08-13-12, 02:40 PM
bjohn
Driver

Originally Posted by kamlung

What he said ^ lol
Old 08-13-12, 03:23 PM
lexo98
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 227 Posts

I was going to let mine break and do a swap but I gave in and changed it at 200k
Old 08-13-12, 05:18 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by djspawn00
If your GS430 is an interference engine just do it.. why be cheap and leave yourself with the headache. Use the search function on here this topic has been covered thoroughly.
I've read mixed reviews, but most people are saying that the GS300/400/430 2GS is an interference engine. Maybe someone can confirm?

Originally Posted by pdxgs
I bought my GS with 135,000 miles with original timing belt. First thing I did was get it replaced. The mechanic saved the belt for me to look at...it was definitely fatigued, cracks in it and had wear marks.
I don't doubt it. I wish that I've seen a timing belt that was in bad shape. Every one I have ever seen removed looked prestine.

Originally Posted by FlockoGS4
Dont play around with the timing belt, bought my GS with 117k miles and i replaced mine at the dealer at 122k miles.......
Very convincing argument there, j/k

Originally Posted by kamlung
Now your talkin, lol. Any idea of I can get the GS430 tranny to mate up to a LS3?

Originally Posted by bjohn
My cas has 190k on it... When I got my belt off, it looked like new....
Yup, that's been my experience as well.

I'll get it done in the next year or two most likely, but I'm not rushing (knock on wood, lol).

BayArea
Old 08-13-12, 05:25 PM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

All VVT-i motors are interference...
Old 08-13-12, 05:34 PM
AVSRacing
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts

so basically you are trying to save $1000, and risk destroying a perfectly good engine. I don't see the logic in this, drive around and worry in the back of your mind if and when your timing belt will snap. Then fork out at least another few grand for a motor, swap and the down time.
Old 08-13-12, 05:51 PM
bjohn
Driver

Originally Posted by AVSRacing
so basically you are trying to save $1000, and risk destroying a perfectly good engine. I don't see the logic in this, drive around and worry in the back of your mind if and when your timing belt will snap. Then fork out at least another few grand for a motor, swap and the down time.
Gonna be the first to put his neck on the line and say 90k is a "safe" time to change the timing belt. After there, the belt will lose its strength, stretch and cause havoc.

I've never seen a belt snap, and like I posted before, my belt had 190k on it and was visually next to new. I obviously can't say it wasn't stretched, because I'm sure it was out of spec.

All I'm saying is, I would bet you could change it around 120k and still be fine if your water pump isn't leaking like mine is.
Old 08-14-12, 06:14 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by BayAreaLex
Now your talkin, lol. Any idea of I can get the GS430 tranny to mate up to a LS3?
nahh 6sp swap FTW...
Old 08-14-12, 11:36 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Listen we have the same exact car. same year, same model. Order the timing belt kit on eBay. it should come out to exactly $476. All oem Lexus parts might I add (Toyota). Same stuff. Free shipping. I will add the description exactly how it reads on my to watch list right after I post this. Anyhow, if you do that the dealer can only charge you like $550 tops. my dealer by my house only charging me $525 for the job assuming I bring in my own Lexus OEM parts.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android

Quick Reply: Let's Talk Timing Belts