GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Steering wheel shake after new tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-12, 03:48 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by BayAreaLex
This problem is really discouraging and seems to be extremely common on our cars for some reason.

Although the majority of the time it's a wheel balance issue, some cars are more proned to steering wheel shake for a given imbalance than others, and we seem to have gotten the short end of the stick with our GS cars.

First, steering wheel shimmy/shake at speed can be caused by improper wheel balance, a rim that is not straight/true, a tire that has excessive lateral "walk" (measured with a dial indicator), improper alignment, worn tie rods, or worn front suspension components/bushings.

First, don't put 100% faith into your tire shop's balancer. Case and point, I once had a steering wheel shimmy problem on a 1996 Mustang Cobra. I took it in to the local tire shop and they rebalanced. Still shimmy. A couple days later I took it into America Tires to get those same wheels rebalanced. They said the balance was significantly off, rebalanced, and it improved by 90%. There's certainly out of calibration equipment out there and no shortage of poor technicians who are either lazy or just plain don't know how to use their equipment. Also, sometimes it's not a matter of just sticking some wheel weights anywhere in the inner barrel and calling it good. A quality balancer will also tell you whether that weight should be favored towards the inside or outside end of the wheel. How often do techs pay attention to that detail? Probably infrequently.

Start off with a rebalance at a reputable tire shop. Have them confirm the balance that was done by your shop. If that doesn't fix it, measure the lateral movement of the rim and tire with a dial indicator (you can look up youtube videos for this). Finally, inspect the tie rods and suspension components for play.

You can always swap your wheels front to back to see if it makes a difference.

As mentioned above, a big part of it is that our cars are getting older, bushing tolerances are opening up. Under these circumstances, a minor imbalance may now be noticeable whereas when the car was new, you would have never even felt it. Chances are that if you have a good balance and fresh components like tie rods, balljoints and steering rack bushings, this problem would be history.

I've been chasing a minor steering wheel shimmy myself and have not yet been able to pin-point it conclusively (and that's with new rims and tires)

Next, if your tire is out of round or has a flat spot, there isn't a balancer on the planet that will solve your problem.
Thanks for going out of your way for this write up, it makes sense alot. And to to everyone else for chiming in on this matter. It's just that sometimes the shake gets annoying and really takes away that Lexus feel that i once had.
Old 08-04-12, 06:20 PM
BCP43002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also had a vibration at 70+ with new Bridgestones. Took the car back to the shop and took the tech out for a test drive after he told me the tires were within spec for their machine. Once he felt the vibration he told me that is the best that their machine can do. He then told me to have them road force balanced at another shop. Once I did, the vibration stopped.
Old 09-03-12, 03:11 AM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

The culprit was that the new crappy tires were out of round, so they replaced my new crap tires with new ones. Problem solved,this happened after 3 re-balances and arguing with the manager as they try there best to not have to replace the new crap tires they sold you in the first place in the first place and just find more excuses.
Old 09-03-12, 09:50 AM
GS714
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Services/Quality are not what its used to be

Originally Posted by lextout
The culprit was that the new crappy tires were out of round, so they replaced my new crap tires with new ones. Problem solved,this happened after 3 re-balances and arguing with the manager as they try there best to not have to replace the new crap tires they sold you in the first place in the first place and just find more excuses.
Where did you got the tires from? If you mind me asking. Like Firestone, American Tires or some tires warehouse. Does anybody have any good experience with Costco?
Old 09-03-12, 02:17 PM
92sc300nj
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check your "S" arm (trailing arm) for excessive wear. 9/10 times at my dealership thats the reason the car shakes after tires installed if its not the balancing or road force and alignment is straight. let me know what you find.