GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

vibration while A/C is on.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-02, 07:10 AM
newyorker
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vibration while A/C is on.

Hellow guys....

I have 2003 GS300 and it has a very little vibration while in D and A/C is on "auto"...and stop at the intersection....

so I turn off the A/C, then the vibration disapperar....
Most of vibration, I feel from the center console or rear A/C vent.
Also I hear whispering shound(like microprocessor sound or something like that) while A/C is on...

What do you guys think? A/C problem? or is this normal for GS.
my A/C works fine but the sound and vibration......strange in new car....

Please let me know...
Old 11-16-02, 08:30 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Own a 2001 GS300. I feel vibration at center console as well....mainly at low speeds after a stop....for about a 1 - 2 seconds.....doesnt matter what gear I'm in.

I always have my a/c on. As for the noise....I dont remember hearing any noise ( I will turn down the music to take a listen). Will get back to you on this.

Pete
Old 11-16-02, 09:34 AM
newyorker
Driver

Default thanks..

My vibration is only when I stop.....
while I put in D and stop....A/C is on....feel vibration...
Please check out.....thanks...
Old 11-16-02, 09:45 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

O.K, open the hood and look at the driver side by the brake booster. You'll see the A/C line and the Evaporative(emission) line(close to the intake) with green cap on it. That line with the green cap may rubbing on the A/C line and cause the vibration or noise at idle with car in Drive. Just bend the line with the green cap out, so it don't touch the A/C line. I hope this might help.
Old 11-17-02, 06:25 PM
newyorker
Driver

Default I can't find what you talking about.

I checked it and I can't find it...
I saw one little line with green cap on it but I don't think it is touching anything....can you show me picture if you can?
Old 11-17-02, 08:59 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Check all of the A/C lines that go along the firewall and make sure the lines are secured in place. I will come up with some pic. tomorrow. Or get somebody sit in the car, trans. in Drive, foot on the brake, E-brake on and you watch outside with hood open to see where the noise is coming from.
Old 11-18-02, 01:23 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

newyorker:

No noise w/ a/c on at stop in Drive mode. I would take it back to the dealership and have them check it out......afterall, its a brand new car and its under warranty.

Pete
Old 11-19-02, 03:05 PM
newyorker
Driver

Default I am waiting...zzz

I went to service today. and I left the car ,,,they gave me RX300

the vibration is nomal " this is what they told me...I am not gona argue with them because it is not a huge vibration...but the that vibration is causing noise in automatic transmission cover...
so...It has been a problem....as I know...Tech will insulate that whole compartment as he did with my other rattles.(which is gone now).... This Lexus of smithtown service is awesome.... very kind and good service....good loaner car....
So I am just waiting for call from them....

so far...the whispering noise? I could hear from demo car that they showed me and I also tried to listen....that sound was there.....interesting.... so Every 2003 Gs300 has that sound...

try listen...it is a whispering sound when A/C is on....It is very little but I can here it.....Maybe I am little bit tricky.....
anyway....my center console still vibrate little bit depends on the temperature.... but other than that.. I have to live with it....

Lexus headquarter called me today, and said...sorry about the many visit to service....(I said I want to new car since 4 visit already within 2 month) maybe just my car or just me....
Maybe just my car is not good or I am too tricky person....
I think I am little too tricky....because every car except Acura, I had problems.....even BMW, mercedes...so on.....

Let's see what happens...
Old 03-12-20, 02:47 PM
OGGPoodle
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im having the same issue in an 01' GS 430. You can only hear the vibration when you're stopped and in drive. If you're not stopped or not in drive (aka neutral) you don't hear it. I looked under the hood, with my wife on the brake, and I didn't see anything rubbing or making any obvious signs of the noise. But you can definitely hear it in the car.
Old 03-13-20, 06:53 AM
TrueGS300
Racer

Received 463 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by OGGPoodle
Im having the same issue in an 01' GS 430. You can only hear the vibration when you're stopped and in drive. If you're not stopped or not in drive (aka neutral) you don't hear it. I looked under the hood, with my wife on the brake, and I didn't see anything rubbing or making any obvious signs of the noise. But you can definitely hear it in the car.
You may need to replace the engine mounts. In my experience, most vibrations at idle come from bad mounts. The A/C puts an extra load on the engine and transfers more vibrations through the mounts. When they are old/bad, they can't absorb the vibrations anymore. These vibrations can show up anywhere in the car. Especially where things aren't that tight. Like a center counsel or dash.
The following users liked this post:
j3rf (03-13-20)