GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Should I not be putting regular unleaded fuel in my Sport Design?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-12, 09:29 AM
LowGS3OO
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I not be putting regular unleaded fuel in my Sport Design?

I fill up my tank usually with $45 using 87 (regular). Once in a while when I go to step on my car it kind of has a lag and then it kicks in. I was curious if it may be the gas?

How bad can it be to be putting the cheap gas? I just got this car 5 months ago so Im trying to keep it in good shape. I recently have changed the oil, brake fluid, and engine filter. Should I buy new spark plugs and maybe clean the injectors?
Old 07-22-12, 09:32 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

If you put lower octane than recommended for your car, you should notice a lack in power. Always use the recommended fuel, the cost is around $2-$4 more per fill up... if you can afford a Lexus, you should be able to afford a couple dollars per tank to keep it running correctly...

your problem may not be related to the fuel, but it may as well...
Old 07-22-12, 09:47 AM
bigwes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It also keeps the car running smoother if u use the correct gas. It could cause problems with the car later on down the road..
Old 07-22-12, 10:04 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Shouldnt be putting regular unleaded in anything...
Old 07-22-12, 10:07 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

And yea, I saw first hand what regular gas does to a car in time, not to mention cheap gas! You get better mileage spending a couple dollars more on better gas and premium gas than you would with junk gas. More mileage per gallon means more for your money. I learned this a looong time ago when I first got my license, but noone will ever learn this who buys cheap gas... yes I'm passionate about it.
Old 07-22-12, 10:09 AM
Timothyj
Pole Position

I would get the injectors, fuel system cleaned. I had my 04 ES cleaned using the BG fuel system cleaner, my local shop and Lexus dealer use BG products. Car runs much better. Car has 93000 miles. i use Mobil or BP gas, most of the time 93 octane, or 89. What year is the car, miles, condition? I also had a trans. flush on my car, BG product also. A lot of people don't like to do a flush, but my car runs great no problems. If doing the flush is so bad, I would think BG would be getting sued all the time about this. It worked good for me. Cheap gas will make it run like crap. My wife bought gas at Miejer gas station, check engine light, ran like crap. Ran the tank down and filled up 93 Mobil, car ran like new. That was in a Saturn Vue. Keep updated on the forum.

Tim
Old 07-22-12, 10:09 AM
Arcadian
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I am using 89-octane (mid grade here) in the city with no issues. For short urban freeway trips I've noticed no issues on 89. If I know I am taking a highway trip then it's 91 or 94 octane premium.
My gas station used to sell 91 octane at regular price, then our government forced them to follow the big companies like Esso Shell and PetroCan.
Old 07-22-12, 12:03 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Arcadian
I am using 89-octane (mid grade here) in the city with no issues. For short urban freeway trips I've noticed no issues on 89. If I know I am taking a highway trip then it's 91 or 94 octane premium.
My gas station used to sell 91 octane at regular price, then our government forced them to follow the big companies like Esso Shell and PetroCan.
The way I figure it, its still bad gas... Heres a perfect example. (whether you like taco bell or not isnt the question ) If you got their beans and mixed 50/50 with a pot of caca, would you like it? Well thats what 89 is. Its caca (87) mixed with beans (91+).

I sure dont like poopoo.
Old 07-22-12, 12:27 PM
clos430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
The way I figure it, its still bad gas... Heres a perfect example. (whether you like taco bell or not isnt the question ) If you got their beans and mixed 50/50 with a pot of caca, would you like it? Well thats what 89 is. Its caca (87) mixed with beans (91+).

I sure dont like poopoo.

^^^ LMFAO! Hilarious! Not to mention cheap gas makes our car ping on acceleration and causes a caca load of carbon build up! Which in time makes your car run sluggish. I rec. you clean your throttle body, change out the fuel filter, and add some fuel treatment. You should also stick to 91 and up!
Old 07-22-12, 12:40 PM
AYEmike
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you're gonna ruin the knock sensor and clog the fuel injectors
Old 07-22-12, 01:06 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Never in my life would i put 87 or 89 junk in my gs400, seriously what did u save, a $1?
Old 07-22-12, 02:24 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Yea its unbelievable how people will do anything to save a 10c per gallon! Drive around [wasting gas] looking for the cheaper station lol, use that lost money towards better gas LoL I mean DAMN! In the long run its gonna cost you more. I'd rather spend the buck or two.
Old 07-22-12, 03:03 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Obviously you guys know nothing of what octane means. It's the rate of burn. "cheap gas" as you call it is got nothing to do with octane. The reason you use the higher octane in a Lexus is because the compression and computer is set up for that octane. On the other hand, if you put high octane gas in a car set up for regular (like a Camry) you are wasting your money. What diferentiates cheap gas from good gas is not octane(yes higher octane cost more but it still can be crappy gas) but the cleanliness of the storage tank, the quality and maintenance of the filters from the storage tank to the pump nozzle and the additives that are put into the gas. For example, SAMs club gas has very little additives so if you use it I would recommend adding an additive like techtron to your tank. On the other hand shell probably has enough in it as is. Costco is probably the best discount gas in that they do better maintenance to their filters and put some decent additives. Also some cars run better on a certain brand for some reason.
Old 07-22-12, 03:04 PM
LowGS3OO
Rookie

Yeah Im gonna start using premium to see if I notice the difference. If its better for the engine then i'll keep doing it.

Btw I have a 2002 with 84010 miles on it. I should check out the injectors but I'm looking for a shop that can give it a full tune up. Thanks for everyones input!
Old 07-22-12, 03:08 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I never understand this. The difference in fillup between Regular Unleaded and Premium on a 15 gallon fillup is negligible. Lets say the difference in price is $.25. You're paying JUST shy of $4 difference between the two. Is that amount a make it or break it amount? If it is, you might need to re-evaluate if you're driving the right car.

Quick Reply: Should I not be putting regular unleaded fuel in my Sport Design?