GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

My retro fit : LS430

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-12, 04:58 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default My retro fit : LS430

Pictures on post #53

Well... After months of going back and forth on to do this or not i decided i'd appreciate it more if i did this retrofit myself. I got my hands on a super clean set of oem headlights here and the luxury mod brackets here from a different member. Thank u both for uber clean products! Today i got my hands on near mint ls430 projectors for $275 with tsx clear lenses already installed along with some free spacers for the lens. Those should be waiting in my office when i get back from vacation.

I am totally leaning on the DIYs here and will be reaching out to those who have done this already in pms if i hit a road block. Anyways i'm takin my time with this... But had to share the news that there is no turning back now! Pics coming after vaca!

Last edited by MikeFoxx; 10-21-12 at 09:56 PM.
Old 07-06-12, 05:02 PM
drastic95
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck.....u may give me the inspiration I need to do mine.
Old 07-06-12, 05:41 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It is pretty easy to be honest. Make sure you got some quality butyl sealant, use the oven not a heat gun.

A few advice
When separating the lens from the headlight have someone cut the glue as you're peeling so it doesn't get on the chrome housing or else its stuck there for pretty much forever.
Clean out the glue from the headlight, if it gets soft just stick it in the oven for a few minutes then go away at it with a screw driver
If you have auto level, you'll be needing to shave of part of the chrome housing take measure before you cut.
The following users liked this post:
MikeFoxx (07-08-19)
Old 07-06-12, 07:53 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Heres my DIY with the LM brackets. I'm pretty sure I didnt find any with the brackets, so this should help:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...s-bracket.html

BTW, KILLER deal with not just the LS430 projectors, but WITH the TSX lenses? WOW!
Old 07-06-12, 08:15 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

^^^^^^^ it was ur DIY write up that made up my mind to give it a shot. Thanks for sharing and sc300jz for the other tips.

And yes... I thought it was a hell of a deal
as well. I think im around $400 for it all together so far
Old 07-06-12, 08:26 PM
runyun
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I need to do mine too. I also have the color mod along with clear lenses.... but considering putting the oem fresnal back on. I have to take apart 4 housings to finish mine which is one of my main reasons from starting the project! lol
Old 07-06-12, 08:37 PM
77i9
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice project Mike!
Now cut your vacation short and start working on it...lol
Old 07-07-12, 07:24 AM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Got any pics of the lens spacers you got with them? Were they premade or homemade?? I had to make mine and they were kind of a ***** to snap the lens retainers back on once I spaced out the lens as the ring is such a tight fit.
Old 07-07-12, 03:32 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 99 GS3
Got any pics of the lens spacers you got with them? Were they premade or homemade?? I had to make mine and they were kind of a ***** to snap the lens retainers back on once I spaced out the lens as the ring is such a tight fit.
The companies that sell the TSX-R lenses usually sell the spacers with them. Find them and ask for them cause they sell separate too
Old 07-07-12, 03:34 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sc300jz
It is pretty easy to be honest. Make sure you got some quality butyl sealant, use the oven not a heat gun.

A few advice
When separating the lens from the headlight have someone cut the glue as you're peeling so it doesn't get on the chrome housing or else its stuck there for pretty much forever.
Clean out the glue from the headlight, if it gets soft just stick it in the oven for a few minutes then go away at it with a screw driver
If you have auto level, you'll be needing to shave of part of the chrome housing take measure before you cut.
This is why in my DIY I suggested using a heat gun. Cutting can still chance it falling, heat gun shrivels it outward and away GREAT advise for a retro noob nonetheless.
Old 07-07-12, 06:11 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
The companies that sell the TSX-R lenses usually sell the spacers with them. Find them and ask for them cause they sell separate too
I got spacers with my TSX lenses but they were defiantly too thick to snap the assembly back together. So I made them out of aluminum flashing material, which worked ok, but was wondering what he used since it sounded like he had some premade spacers that worked for the 430's.
Old 07-07-12, 07:55 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

subscribed...
Old 07-07-12, 08:29 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

This is why in my DIY I suggested using a heat gun. Cutting can still chance it falling, heat gun shrivels it outward and away GREAT advise for a retro noob nonetheless.
Ah I dont trust heat gun due to uneven heating, my friend did it cracked his lens . I prefer the oven, but whatever works for you. Just be careful take it sloowww
Old 07-07-12, 08:57 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sc300jz
Ah I dont trust heat gun due to uneven heating, my friend did it cracked his lens . I prefer the oven, but whatever works for you. Just be careful take it sloowww
You misunderstood sir. I was focusing on the part AFTER removing from oven (thus the reason I highlighted the peeling part) While pulling apart, you can use a heat gun to melt the stretchy glue stuff as you peel away.
Old 07-07-12, 09:11 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

You misunderstood sir. I was focusing on the part AFTER removing from oven (thus the reason I highlighted the peeling part) While pulling apart, you can use a heat gun to melt the stretchy glue stuff as you peel away.
Oh, I knew that. Listen to this he knows quite a bit.

Quick Reply: My retro fit : LS430