GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

shake at 70 gone...

Old 06-25-12, 04:33 AM
seivonecsu
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default shake at 70 gone...

Ok so I had the infamous shakes at 70... So in the last 2 weeks I changed my lbj's, tie rod end, upper control arm bushings, rotors, and got an alignment, also I had the mechanic go over the whole front end and hit everybolt with the impact gun to make sure everything was tight and it seems to me that the shake is gone.. I also had the LCA and caster bushings changed withing the last year, also had the tires balanced.. Hopefully this shake will be gone for good and hopefully I won't have to deal with any more maint. For a while...
Old 06-25-12, 08:02 AM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So....basically you touched everything on the front end of the car and therefore can make no estimation as to what, exactly, was causing the vibration?

Cool story, bro.
Old 06-25-12, 08:16 AM
VWTim
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mk2tmr2
So....basically you touched everything on the front end of the car and therefore can make no estimation as to what, exactly, was causing the vibration?

Cool story, bro.
Well, after reading some people's posts that they have done EVERYTHING including items that aren't related and still have a shake. Just be happy for the guy.

My fiance's '00 GS took Caster arm bushings and rack bushings and it went away.
Old 06-25-12, 08:42 AM
fuzzzz
Lexus Test Driver

Cool story, bro.
Raining on paradeeee
Old 06-25-12, 09:43 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Wheel balance fixed his probem.
Old 06-25-12, 10:21 AM
SELFMade
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Yeah, I agree. I had shakes for the first time after taking my car to Firestone and having them mount a new tire, and come to find out those low rent bastards didn't even balance it, they just threw it on. Thats why I do everything myself besides paint/body.
Old 06-25-12, 10:50 AM
seivonecsu
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Def wasn't wheel balance... Did that first before changing other things...

And if you wanna narrow it down to what it actually was I did balance and alignment first, no good.. Then lbj's and tierods end, still shook... Then uca bushings, rotors and pads and tightened up all the bolts underneath and another alignment, no more shake... At the end of day I think there is no one fix you gotta do everything to make the shake go away...
Old 06-25-12, 10:55 AM
seivonecsu
Lead Lap

Cool story, bro.
Glad you like my story...
8==jjjjj==D
Old 06-25-12, 11:02 AM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Question, you mentioned that you replaced the UCA bushings only. Did you even bother with the ball joint pressed into the UCA?? Seems to be that UCA bushing replacement is only a band aid to fix what is really the problem which is the entire arm itself.
Old 06-25-12, 11:11 AM
krispl
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

inner ball joints gentleman!
Old 06-25-12, 11:38 AM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by seivonecsu
Glad you like my story...
8==jjjjj==D
I'm not trying to be a ****. I just don't see how the original post was a valuable asset to this community. I'm happy for you, that your vibration went away. But taking the time to basically say, "Yippee! No more shakes!" doesn't really help anyone in any way. Unless you're just fishing for pats on the back and thumbs up. In which case:
Old 06-25-12, 11:44 AM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Alignment and new tires fixed mine, over 3 months no shakes..
Old 06-25-12, 11:59 AM
seivonecsu
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by repugnante
Question, you mentioned that you replaced the UCA bushings only. Did you even bother with the ball joint pressed into the UCA?? Seems to be that UCA bushing replacement is only a band aid to fix what is really the problem which is the entire arm itself.
Mechanic said uca balljoint looked good...
Next time I go back I might just get it done so I have no thoughts about it... But I was trying to do a little at a time untill the shake was gone but I prob should of just done it also to get it out of the way... If it would of been fixed with just the alignment and balancing I would of prob stopped there...
Old 06-25-12, 01:09 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Front end vibrations can be really frustrating and tough to diagnose.

Most people probably know that you should start with wheel balance (load balance when possible).

I too was hoping that you would be able to narrow it down to one item that was the culprit rather than replacing everything at once. But alas, time and energy is not infinite and sometimes you just want the problem to go away, understandable.

Glad it seems to have worked out and I bet that a lot of those wear items you replaced were due anyway.
Old 06-25-12, 02:47 PM
mikomill
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not trying to be a ****. I just don't see how the original post was a valuable asset to this community. I'm happy for you, that your vibration went away. But taking the time to basically say, "Yippee! No more shakes!" doesn't really help anyone in any way. Unless you're just fishing for pats on the back and thumbs up. In which case:
its good to see that sometimes a person can succeed at something without trying. Here's a pat on the back for you, mk2tmr2!

I had the same problem and it was bad rotors, got the brakes redone (for half of what the dealer was trying to charge me and it been rock solid for the last 3 months. I replaced ball joints and some other parts that were needed because of age but there weren't the cause of the shakes.

Michael

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: shake at 70 gone...