GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Going aristo vvti auto swap in 98 gs3

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-12, 09:46 PM
Jonb42
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going aristo vvti auto swap in 98 gs3

So after contemplating going nat. I decided to listen to everyone and just do the swap. I got real lucky and found a 2jz-gte complete with trans driveshaft rear diff axels igniter fuel pump ecu mines chipped ecu power steering resistor and stock inter cooler plus all of the sensors jdm spec. It also has the single turbo conversion done already. All for 5000 plus 350 shipping from japandirectjapanese.com copliments of moe. He's the man. I recommend them to anyone looking to do the swap.
Now my questions for everyone is. Wat more do I need. A downpipe. Front mount inter cooler and boost controller if what moe said. He told me that with the stockintercooler I should be running 8 to 10 lbs boost. I think that since it is coming with the single turbo already I should be able to run more but I don't know what components I need to accomplish the. Any help please. I don't want to screw up my new motor. Is the stock aristo fuel pump sufficient? Should I look into injectors? Where an I buy a front mount. Not a universal piece of s--t. One that is made for my baby. I'm sure that I'll run into some speed bumps along the way but I'm hoping between cl and my friend who own the shop where I plan on helping do it we should be able to figure it out. I just would love to have the parts needed for my install done correctly before hand that way I don't have to wait for parts and can keep things moving on the project. I can't wait to drive her.
If anyone can lead me in the right direction so I can have my car ready to be tuned for max Hp without risking detonation it would be awesome. I'll be starting the swap in a week and a half and will keep everyone updated. Should I get a custom downpipe and exhaust or should I buy the tanabe cat back and a supra downpipe. I have no clue. Maybe I'm running when I should be walking but I really just want to keep things rolling once we start them. Thanks everyone
Old 06-15-12, 09:45 AM
zebt66
Pole Position

Few basic things for a swap,

If you want to pass emissions, you have to have your OBD Port working, JDM Cars are not OBD Port compliant. Running a VVTI Aristo Swap, specially with a single turbo and to tune it there are only 2 ways. Either a HKS F-Con V-PRO for aristo with jumper harness and run your JDM ECU with it (Car won't pass inspection) or AEM EMS Custom parallel ECU setup by Jeffsai...PM him about more information.

You can get your self a Universal Intercooler and make custom piping. If you have extra cash import your self a Greddy Front mount kit for the Aristo.

Fuel set up, Aristo motors need return fuel set up, what i did was i ran the factory feed line as return and ran a 10AN feed line from my twin walbro 255 LPH pumps to the motor on a dual feed fuel rail with 6an on both sides.

I have a JASMA certified Down pipe, can't remember the brand...yahoo JAPAN FTW!

make sure to stay between 19-22psi maximum PSI on pump gas...if you want your motor to survive. 2JZGTE motors love more fuel!

VVTI Stock cams are the best...don't think about changing them.

USDM cars have MAF Sensor, JDM motors have MAP sensor on the intake manifold (Sensor with a vacuum line sticking out).

Every thing is easy other then wiring, i have seen lot of people run Apexi SAFC on there swaps with factory USDM computers...i don't like that at all.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
Old 06-15-12, 09:58 AM
Rob Daddy
Lead Lap

Good info! I am still contemplating pulling my v8 & do this after I saw Zebt's car at IA this year but I would have to go to NC since there are no builders or tuners in ATL!
Old 06-15-12, 04:52 PM
Hardrvin
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Jdm VVTi motors have a maf sensor. Early gen non VVTi jdm was map based.
Old 06-15-12, 05:21 PM
GS300LUV
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What size turbo is it? It may already have the correct injectors in for that turbo. You may just have a single turbo plug and play set up. I used the Aristo stock fuel pump in my stock swap and it works just fine. Look for my thread in the performance section if you like. I have info in there that might help you out. Title is 98 GS300 Aristo swap. Its on the 1st page. Congrats and good luck with your swap!
Old 06-16-12, 05:16 AM
zebt66
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Hardrvin
Jdm VVTi motors have a maf sensor. Early gen non VVTi jdm was map based.
I am sorry yes it does, i was thinking about the older non VVTI Motors. I should have known better lol, got a real JZS161 Aristo V300 sitting in the drive way.
Old 06-18-12, 02:04 AM
Jonb42
Driver

Thanks zebt66 that's exactly what I was looking for. I'm pretty close with what I was gonna get. What does e erroneous think of suprastore? "" they say that they have jdm aristo parts. I'll fid out tomorrow. And as far as the plug n play single. Moe at japandirectjapanese.com as of now is the man. He was extremely helpful and knowledgable. The motor is supposed to be shipped today so I will let everyone know if it really is a complete swap. I was planning on ordering this.
1. SUPRASTORE FUEL RAIL KIT w/options Injector Size : 750cc 365$
2 AEM V1 V2 EMS Online Email Supra Tuning Maps - they give you a base map so I can data log and email it to them. You get the first custom map as part of the 275 and each additional one is 50$. The package is $275.00
3 HKS Type R Front Mount Intercooler Toyota Supra MKIV *$1,899.00. But I'm gonna go on Japanese yahoo as sonn as I push send on my reply. . Plus I haven't spoke to suprastore yet either. As I said try claim to ave aristo accessories.
1. Apexi World Sport Exhaust Lexus GS300/400 $875.00. I don't want a loud exhaust but I'm wondering if anyone has the apex or should I go with a single 3" exhaust and use a silencer?

I still have to get a downpipe but m running out of m budgeted money for this car? Hate when that happens but I would rater wait then skimp out and get Junk and have to buy things twice.

Do I still ave to do the valve body upgrade? Or can the trans handle extra hp and tq. I read somewhere on ere they are good Orr ok??!?!! To 650 700 hp with a torque converter and tans cooler?? I would prefer to drive my car to the trans shop myself to get it built then to have it blow up or have cat castrophic failure on the road or track.

I don't care about inspection. We have 2yr in nj. I'm going to get it done this week b4 the swap. Also. I have gone through inspection twice and swapped stickers between cars. Just say that the windshield guy took the sticker and you need another. Worst case scenario you pay 200$ for a windshield to make it believable. Or put blue masking tape around the edges like the window guy would've Works in Jerz!!&

I'm hoping that my mecp certified auto electronics degree that I got 13 years ago will help me out a lot and everything else I hopefully will find on a old post or from someone on this thread. I'll post up the pics when I get it. Want it NOW. lol.
What kind of boost controller are people using and hpply with?How do the prices look on the parts from suprastore? Reasonable or way to much. I'm sure I can find things much less on eBay but I hate it. I i
I think that's it for now.
Thanks again and I'll keep everyone updated!!
Old 06-20-12, 06:04 AM
wes459
Rookie

I had to subscribe to your thread man, I'm looking to do the Aristo vvti swap into my SC300, with my biggest concern initially on being how to pass the state inspections. I'm looking forward to your progress though man!
Old 06-20-12, 02:44 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by wes459
I had to subscribe to your thread man, I'm looking to do the Aristo vvti swap into my SC300, with my biggest concern initially on being how to pass the state inspections. I'm looking forward to your progress though man!
Is north carolina requiring plug in obd or smog sniffer checks currently??
Old 06-21-12, 06:32 AM
wes459
Rookie

Originally Posted by 99 GS3
Is north carolina requiring plug in obd or smog sniffer checks currently??
It would seem the only thing that some inspection stations care about is getting the OBD scan done. I have friends that say that was the only thing that the inspector did, and didn't even care to look at anything else. I'll be getting my car inspected next week though, before the swap, so that I have essentially a full year to get it running right.
Old 06-21-12, 08:20 PM
Jonb42
Driver

Default Links to swap pics

I can't figure out how to upload pics onto cl so here are the pics of my swap Pre delivery. It on its way . https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=3f657...2581D8B%211266
Old 06-21-12, 08:30 PM
GS300LUV
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Scroll down to where it says manage attachments towards the bottom of the page. The like you posted up wont come up.
Old 06-22-12, 12:10 AM
Jonb42
Driver

It's gotta be the iPad. I'll try tomorrow from my pc
Old 06-22-12, 01:44 PM
Hardrvin
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Look your setup over really well when it comes in from UPS. Mine got pretty beat up.

LOTS of bad feedback regarding Suprastore which is ashame because their selection is vast and prices seem reasonably. Quick summary; people order lots of parts, never hear a thing, try to cancel order with no luck, end up working with their credit card company to reverse charges. Yea, that bad.

Double check on the AEM route. As I recall, the V1's didn't like handling transmission control duties so much. Beyond just trying to perform on the Supra TT's, the late model Aristo trans is an odd bird as it's a 7 solenoid valve body. I'm not sure anyone has tackled the programming of a stand alone to run one yet.

And now to the topic of the transmission. Not sure where you hear that output # from, but the general consensus is over 400 HP and you're asking for failure. So you're going to need to pursue build options sooner than later.

If you're going stand alone, I'd really go after a TT trans versus the Aristo and pick up a built Titan, BL, or ATF. On that note, there's a nice looking ATF for sale on SF right now...
Old 06-22-12, 07:59 PM
Jonb42
Driver

Yea. I agree. I spoke with someone at suprastore. He sounded clueless. I've decided to go with swift racing parts. Thy sound super knowledgable and when my swap is done thy are only a 5 hr ride for tuning. Not to apply to hear about the trans so it looks like Itp will be on the list of need to do's. Fortunately thy are 30 minutes from my house so that's no biggie. I'm going to open up my pallet tomorrow but the plastic bags protecting everything look flawless. So I'm hoping for th best. Let you know tomorrow. Thanks fo the heads up about supra store.

Quick Reply: Going aristo vvti auto swap in 98 gs3