GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Led turn signals blinks fast!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-12, 10:03 PM
SIRLEX400
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Led turn signals blinks fast!!!

Need help from the OG's...how u fix this? (i already have resistors installed, worked fine for weeks as of yesterday..just started blinking faster than normal) So i had to put the amber ones back in.i just don't like the orange color.

and another thing...why is the Clear Lens at the bottom of the LED Tails different sizes on some?
Like some are real low profile...while others are mad big?idk
Old 01-02-12, 11:05 AM
LexiBlue
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check and that none of the led's are burned out
Old 01-02-12, 03:06 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Not sure what sort of flasher these cars have, but the solid state ones aren't load dependant and flash at a fixed rate, the thermal ones flash faster with higher loads.
Old 01-02-12, 10:19 PM
vipXjunky
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

fast blinking is usually caused by a light outage. Make sure your bulb is all the way in the socket. Also, please clarify what you mean by the clear tail being big and some being low. If you're talking about the WHOLE LED Thin/Thick Clears, then yes, some comes big and some are small, depending on which company makes them. As for your LED Turn signal BULB (Assuming that's what you meant) isn't probably the cause, check your reverse lights, signal and brake lights. Let some one step on the breaks while you look to see if they light up when the break is applied. Hope it helps. Good luck.
Old 01-02-12, 11:59 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm not sure what kind of flasher relay the 2GS is running, but when I converted my front signal lights in my SC to LED's, that's all I changed instead of adding a resistor which you need to install for each bulb you're converting. Try looking into that first for a more cost effective and simpler way to run the LED turn signals. The old type of flasher relays are analog, and for you to be able to run the LED's you need the digital type one. Basically they just vary by how many and how are the plugs positioned, so find a match and there you go. It's usually $12-15. Here's a link to how I did it; https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...onversion.html
Old 01-03-12, 11:40 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by KingPhilip
I'm not sure what kind of flasher relay the 2GS is running, but when I converted my front signal lights in my SC to LED's, that's all I changed instead of adding a resistor which you need to install for each bulb you're converting. Try looking into that first for a more cost effective and simpler way to run the LED turn signals. The old type of flasher relays are analog, and for you to be able to run the LED's you need the digital type one. Basically they just vary by how many and how are the plugs positioned, so find a match and there you go. It's usually $12-15. Here's a link to how I did it; https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...onversion.html
i initially thought he needed that till i re-read his post and saw this

Originally Posted by SIRLEX400
worked fine for weeks as of yesterday..just started blinking faster than normal)
he has a LED out more than likely if they worked fine for a few weeks...and just started doing this
Old 01-03-12, 02:40 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

When I was researching on mine back then, I didn't like the whole idea of how to add the resistors. First, you need one for each bulb you're converting to LED. Second, you have to cut the OE wires to run the resistors in the system. Third, it heats up/builds up heat which I didn't wanna do to my 17 year old car. And outta all those reasons, they can all go wrong in time. Some might've gotten lucky, but definitely there'll be people having trouble with it.
Old 01-03-12, 03:55 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

GS relays ARE load dependent by design.

An additional load IS required which is why resistors need to be added because LEDs do not have the load that incandecent bulbs have.

Yes, adding resistors is a less than ideal fix, but it is the usual way to fix the "fast blink" and outside of finding a non-load dependent relay, this is the Only fix for the 2GS, though other Lexus models may not experience the same issue. Don't compare this to the older SC or the new 2IS.

People have been doing this fix for 10+ years, it's fine when installed right with the proper resistors like what VLEDs sells.

Go to VLEDs.com and look up load resistors. They have RELIABLE ones that have better protection from excessive heat, higher wattage resistors and additional heat sinks to keep em cooler.

As for some aftermarket tails having thicker clear sections, yes some are thin and some are thick. No rocket science here, that's just the way they styled them.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 01-03-12 at 03:59 PM.
Old 01-03-12, 04:29 PM
SIRLEX400
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok thanks guys!
Old 01-03-12, 08:22 PM
RMMGS4

Oh and another thing is you DON"T need to add resistors to all four corners.

If you know you will run LEDs front and rear then just install a pair of 3 ohm resistors to either front or rear and you're done.

If you are ONLY adding LEDs to either front or rear, then you will need to install a pair of 6 ohm resistors.

Again VLEDs has what you need and NO I don't work for VLEDs. People can buy similar products from many other sources. I just can't vouch for the quality and reliability from others.
Old 01-05-12, 10:45 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
GS relays ARE load dependent by design.

An additional load IS required which is why resistors need to be added because LEDs do not have the load that incandecent bulbs have.

Yes, adding resistors is a less than ideal fix, but it is the usual way to fix the "fast blink" and outside of finding a non-load dependent relay, this is the Only fix for the 2GS, though other Lexus models may not experience the same issue. Don't compare this to the older SC or the new 2IS.

People have been doing this fix for 10+ years, it's fine when installed right with the proper resistors like what VLEDs sells.

Go to VLEDs.com and look up load resistors. They have RELIABLE ones that have better protection from excessive heat, higher wattage resistors and additional heat sinks to keep em cooler.

As for some aftermarket tails having thicker clear sections, yes some are thin and some are thick. No rocket science here, that's just the way they styled them.
Hi, I wasn't comparing your 2GS's to my older SC, like I said I wasn't sure how your 2GS's electrical system are set up. I was trying to help out by suggesting what I did and how I did it. And based on your explanation the electrical system of my older SC is quite similar to your 2GS's. The flasher relays are load dependent, meaning it is counting how much load is connected to the system at a certain number of amps. So, if the amp go lower than the count it blinks faster, and also serve as a warning for a dead bulb.

Now, the electronic flasher relay I was suggesting, not only counts how much load is connected to the system at a certain number of amps, it also counts how many bulbs are connected in the system. So, please, it might be an easy fix that most people haven't looked into. This is something that I researched thoroughly before doing the conversion on my older SC. For reference;
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...bulb-notes.htm
Old 01-05-12, 11:25 PM
RMMGS4

Hi, I wasn't comparing your 2GS's to my older SC, like I said I wasn't sure how your 2GS's electrical system are set up. I was trying to help out by suggesting what I did and how I did it. And based on your explanation the electrical system of my older SC is quite similar to your 2GS's. The flasher relays are load dependent, meaning it is counting how much load is connected to the system at a certain number of amps. So, if the amp go lower than the count it blinks faster, and also serve as a warning for a dead bulb.
Gotcha and as you said you weren't sure, so I responded to clear things up.

Now, the electronic flasher relay I was suggesting, not only counts how much load is connected to the system at a certain number of amps, it also counts how many bulbs are connected in the system. So, please, it might be an easy fix that most people haven't looked into. This is something that I researched thoroughly before doing the conversion on my older SC. For reference;
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...bulb-notes.htm
It would be an easy fix if the correct relay application can be identified. There have been some relays identified for Lexus applications, but people have tried them and I haven't heard of one that worked on the 2GS. The newer 2IS seems to work though.

This topic has come up many times over the years with no real progress. If you or anyone can find a relay that will work, then that would be a great accomplishment.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 01-05-12 at 11:54 PM.
Old 06-11-12, 01:45 AM
Lexus777
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check and see if any of your lights are out?