GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

How do you get to the brake light switch

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-12, 11:22 AM
shabbyblue
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you get to the brake light switch

I believe my brake light switch is out. I can't drive the car anywhere because I don't have brake lights. I need to know how do you get to the brake light switch, so I can try to replace it. I know it is on top of the brake pedal, but it seems to be covered up with metal pieces. Is it real difficult to get to. PLEASE need major help!
Old 05-22-12, 01:15 PM
99Aristo
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I have never replaced one and have barely looked up there but after 14 years of professionally being a mechanic I can't imagine they'd make it too hard to get to. If you don't own a service manual that'd be the first thing I would get, the help from them is priceless despite their cost. Also, I don't even know if there''s fuses for the brake lights but check one of the probably 4 fuse boxes int he car to see, 3 under the hood, 1 inside at drivers foot well. Chances are slim four bulbs burned out, and if it's not a fuse you would be correct on your brake light switch call....unless there's a broken wire after the brake switch which is slim. The only reason I could ever see a brake wire being cut is if an auto start was installed and a t-tap or scotch lock cut through it. Also, scour the internet with searches for what you are looking for, you never know what you might find.
Old 03-19-21, 05:03 PM
MrBlack000
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure u meant well but that was the most useless response ever, if he had a manual in front of him would he be asking you? not likely. scouring the depths of the internet lead you here first.
there is 2 screws you have to remove,
gotta take the cover off the light and dis-mount it, have to dis mount the obd service port then there are two trick tabs you gotta figure out how to get past without breaking, one un hooks if u stretch the panel. but there is another one hidden from sight under the steering column and it's practically impossible fo see how it functions. Matter of fact, as i type this I'm attempting to access my switch because it needs adjustment because it starting to activate too late through the travel of the pedal and am looking for help solving this conundrum without breaking some rare peice of plastic thankyou so very much for absolutely
nothing other than wasting my valuable sunlight reading your response, once I figure this out I'll be back and actually post something helpful for the next man. sanctimonious know it all "I have no idea, keep doing what your doin" literally advising the man to do what he was already attempting... dude you urk. 🤦🏿‍♂️ 😡😤being a mechanic for 14 years you didnt have a resource to check before you posted that hot air of the top of your dome just to hear yourself speak? (yes exactly like I just did, solely because this has infuriated me so much)

https://youtu.be/9ln5-xzOwGo

Originally Posted by 99Aristo
Well, I have never replaced one and have barely looked up there but after 14 years of professionally being a mechanic I can't imagine they'd make it too hard to get to. If you don't own a service manual that'd be the first thing I would get, the help from them is priceless despite their cost. Also, I don't even know if there''s fuses for the brake lights but check one of the probably 4 fuse boxes int he car to see, 3 under the hood, 1 inside at drivers foot well. Chances are slim four bulbs burned out, and if it's not a fuse you would be correct on your brake light switch call....unless there's a broken wire after the brake switch which is slim. The only reason I could ever see a brake wire being cut is if an auto start was installed and a t-tap or scotch lock cut through it. Also, scour the internet with searches for what you are looking for, you never know what you might find.

Last edited by MrBlack000; 03-20-21 at 10:42 AM.
Old 03-19-21, 05:42 PM
Bykfixer
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

wow Wow WOW!!
The following users liked this post:
jettate (03-20-21)
Old 03-19-21, 08:00 PM
firelizard

Received 421 Likes on 336 Posts

Bruh, that was nine years ago.
TrueGS300 (03-20-21)
Old 03-20-21, 10:39 AM
MrBlack000
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by firelizard
Bruh, that was nine years ago.
so? I needed this panel off yesterday internet is forever.... and that was useless.
bjamesr (01-19-22)
Old 03-22-21, 01:57 AM
Tuanville
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBlack000
so? I needed this panel off yesterday internet is forever.... and that was useless.

Brake light switch is behind the pedal, just like any car? If i remeber correctly, you don't have to take the whole pedal out to adjust it do you?

I do agree that guy post was useless though. "Professional mechanic" for 14 years.....