GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

KEY PROGRAMMING for 98-05 gs300 400 430

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-13, 06:39 PM
cjl
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chrisv78
I have a related question. Does anyone know how to determine the number of keys that are already programmed into the ECU (without resetting to 1)?
i read somewhere else that by turning the key 3 times at the end will enter the programming mode which tells you how many are programmed by opening/closing the locks, in my case, it did it 2x.

I'm having a different problem though, I can get it into programming mode but i cannot for the life of me figure out what i'm doing wrong programming the new remotes. No matter what mode I go into, either 1 turn, or 2 turns, and pressing lock/unlock at the same time, and then lock quickly, or for 1 second, or for 2 seconds, it cycles the door lock twice everytime. someone please help, i just spent 3 hours trying every method i could find on the internet and it's just not working. i dont' want to go to westminster lexus because i will probably have to wait forever and pay a bunch of money as well. i got the transponders off of ebay and they must be sending some kind of signal. please help! thank you!
The following users liked this post:
4rcedfed (05-29-19)
Old 07-26-13, 08:05 AM
kswift1000
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Taken and revised from “swat1727” post Oct 2007.
Remote and Master Key program can be done in any order.
REMOTE PROGRAMMING:

1. Sit in Driver’s seat.
2. Close and lock all doors (electric or manual OK, RPrescott reported in Mar 2013 manual locking was required here).
2. Move drivers door lock to Unlocked by hand.
3. Open driver’s door.
4. Put key in ignition and remove it.
5. Using the electric locks switch, cycle LOCKED and UNLOCKED 5 times (Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock).
6. Close and open driver’s door.
7. Using the electric locks switch. LOCKED and UNLOCKED 5 times (Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock).
8. Put key into ignition.
9. Turn key to "ON" (2nd detent).
10. Turn off and remove.
• Door locks will cycle by themselves if you have entered programming mode.
• If the door locks do not cycle (lock and unlock) by themselves then the car isn’t in programming mode and you must start over.
11. On the remote, press and hold the LOCK and the UNLOCK button at the same time for no more than 2 seconds.
12. On the remote, press the LOCK button for no more than 1 second.
• The Door Locks will cycle ONE time means the procedure was accepted.
• The locks cycle twice means the procedure failed. Programming failure may be because the car didn’t receive a good signal from the remote. Try standing outside of the car while you are performing steps 8 and hold the remote buttons briefly. If the car is in programming mode you can repeat steps 8 and 9 until you complete the programming. If you wait too long and the car exits the programming mode then you must start over.
After you get the remote to program then continue on with step 10.
13. Close and open door to exit programming mode.

Master KEY PROGRAMMING:

1. Insert an already programmed master key into the ignition. Do not turn.
2. Press and release the gas pedal 5 times.
3. Press and release the brake pedal 6 times.
4. Remove the key from the ignition.
5. Insert the new key you want to program into the ignition.
6. Press and release the gas pedal one time.
7. Wait 1 minute. The security light will be blinking for this one minute. When it stops blinking your key is programmed. To end programming step on brake one time.
NOTE: Look for your security light. This light will guide you during the programming procedure. The security light will go off at Step 1. It will remain off until Step 6. The security light will come on and start to blink after Step 6 until the key is programmed. If the security light comes on after Step 4 STOP the procedure and start over again.
If you perform this procedure too slowly your car will not go into programming mode. If you can not get your car to go into programming mode make sure you are using a master key and not a valet key. If you have a master key then you will probably need to perform this procedure more quickly.
Old 07-27-13, 03:23 AM
iamkhanz
Lead Lap

So im still confused read a few people didnt have aprogrammed master key to start with does it still work? I got car with key that works but remote lock n unlock doesnt work..dealer said if I dont have a programmed key itll cost a lot more... so what is considered a prigrammed key? My key starts my car but remote on key doesnt lock or unlock. Thanks for help guys
Old 07-29-13, 03:29 AM
chrisv78
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default battery?

I have to ask the question since your car starts with your key .... have you checked the battery in your remote? A new one is easily available at auto parts stores and takes a couple of minutes with a small screw driver.
Old 08-16-13, 10:16 PM
Engsol430
Driver School Candidate

Default Key programming

I have n 2002 gs 430 BLACK ON BACK , have tried for hours to get my key programmed but cannot get the car to start only have valet key to program from and I had read on one of the threads that it was don e with only a valet key. , I have a transponder from an e bay source and had the key laser cut at my key shop. I have the remote working with the locks and trunk but it still not start ..... Any have any advice
Old 08-20-13, 06:32 PM
keyshopLA
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Key Stuffs 2002 GS

Originally Posted by Engsol430
I have n 2002 gs 430 BLACK ON BACK , have tried for hours to get my key programmed but cannot get the car to start only have valet key to program from and I had read on one of the threads that it was don e with only a valet key. , I have a transponder from an e bay source and had the key laser cut at my key shop. I have the remote working with the locks and trunk but it still not start ..... Any have any advice
You can only perform the "Add a Key" function of an On-Board program on a 2002 GS 430 with a chip programmed as the MASTER key.
You cannot add a key with only a valet key and a fresh chip using the on board program procedures.

Your options would be, an immobilizer reset (which we can program your fresh chip as a MASTER) or a cloned valet key (in which case we could keep cloning keys that start the car but it will never be a master key).

You can identify what kind of function the key you are starting the vehicle;
1, inserting the key into the ignition and do not turn the ignition or push any pedals;
By either the blinking security LED or the red immobilizer symbol on the dash (certain models).
Valet key will produce a non constant blink, non programmed keys flash rapidly and master key should have no blinking of the security lights.

If you are in the Los Angeles area we can help you out with an immobilizer reset or a cloned valet key.

keyshopLA
Ralphs Key Shop
-Roy Cohen

Do you have any other key that used to start the vehicle? Old worn key? the head of an old programmed remote key?
The following 2 users liked this post by keyshopLA:
4rcedfed (05-29-19), kajencik (02-22-23)
Old 08-21-13, 07:39 PM
keyshopLA
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Key Card

One more VERY important thing!

The BLACK key card that originally came with the vehicle has a aluminum pop out key in the middle of it.

ONE of the corners of this black card has a key/ gold arrow pointing at it. As long as the vehicle ECU was never reset previously, THAT CHIP IN THE BLACK KEY CARD qualifies as a "Master" chip and can be used to program additional transponder keys OR remote keys to the vehicle, such as the one OP purchased.

I tried to attach an image, but its my first time not sure if it works
Attached Thumbnails KEY PROGRAMMING for 98-05 gs300 400 430-emergency_key_for_lexus2.jpg  

Last edited by keyshopLA; 08-21-13 at 07:47 PM. Reason: CP photo
The following users liked this post:
4rcedfed (05-29-19)
Old 08-28-13, 03:56 AM
Waasil
Driver School Candidate

Thanks a lot "swat1727" for the explanation.

I was able to program the ignition key for starting the engine successfully, however, I was unable to get the REMOTE entry PROGRAMMED. I have tried the procedures several time as well as other procedures, still failed.
Old 09-06-13, 05:29 AM
mbhafner
Driver School Candidate

Default Does this work outside of USA

I'm in the UK. Does anyone know whether the reprogramming works worldwide? I notice on some pictures that the remote has a panic button in the USA where the Lock button is in the UK. However the remote I have is a Denso 1512V 1997. I have a GS300 1999 year.
Old 09-06-13, 07:05 AM
gpow
Driver School Candidate

Default Did not programs

Did all these steps on my GS300 98' but every time in programming mode when I press combinations on new key, car locks and unlocks twice saying it is not accepted. Did lots of combinations for like 30 minutes still always locks-unlocks twice not accepting.
Any Ideas? Thanks!
Old 10-22-13, 12:39 PM
iamkhanz
Lead Lap

So im still confused read a few people didnt have aprogrammed master key to start with does it still work? I got car with key that works but*remote*lock n unlock doesnt work..dealer said if I dont have a programmed key itll cost a lot more... so what is considered a prigrammed key? My key starts my car but*remoteon key doesnt lock or unlock. Thanks for help guys***

So I do have a good battery in I have an 02 gs430... car starts with key remote lock unlock trunk open doesnt work any ideas? It wont go into program mode.. appreciate your help..asked this question a few months back no answer..
Old 10-23-13, 01:38 AM
iamkhanz
Lead Lap

Tried so many times... argh
Old 12-03-13, 10:13 AM
Cartune
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can i re-program an old remote from my previous 2001 gs to my current 1999 gs?
Old 12-03-13, 01:00 PM
GsLex02
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Will definitely be doing this soon. Thanks
Old 12-16-13, 09:13 PM
lexo98
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 227 Posts

Just added a key and reprogrammed the remote. Adding the key was easy. There remote programmed first try when I cycled the door locks by hand. I noticed when I tried using the electric locks my driver side lock worked but was sticking. Guess that was my problem

Quick Reply: KEY PROGRAMMING for 98-05 gs300 400 430