GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

KEY PROGRAMMING for 98-05 gs300 400 430

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-12, 09:53 PM
swat1727
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
Default KEY PROGRAMMING for 98-05 gs300 400 430

in case someone needs to add another key there is the instruction. two parts. key and remote

KEY PROGRAMMING:

REMOTE PROGRAMMING:

1. Close and lock all doors. Unlock and open drivers door.
2. Put key into ignition and remove. Do not turn it on.
3. Using the electric lock switch. Lock and unlock 5 times. (Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock)
4. Close and open drivers door.
5. Using the electric lock switch. Lock and unlock 5 times. (Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock)
6. Put key into ignition. Turn to "ON" , turn off and remove.
7. You will see the door locks cycle by themselves.

If the door locks do not cycle (lock and unlock) by themselves then the car isn’t in programming mode and you must start over.

8. On the remote, press and hold the LOCK and the UNLOCK button at the same time for no more than 2 seconds.
9. On the remote, press the LOCK button for no more than 1 second.

AT THIS POINT, the locks should cycle by themselves ONE time. This means the procedure was accepted.
IF the locks cycle twice it has failed.
The most common reason for programming failure is because the car didn’t receive a good signal from the remote. To fix this problem try these tips. 1) Stand outside of the car while you are performing steps 8 and 9. 2) Don’t hold the remote buttons down as long.
As long as the car is still in programming mode you can keep trying steps 8 and 9 until you complete the programming. If you wait too long and the car exits the programming mode then you must start over.
After you get the remote to program then continue on with step 10.
10. Close and open door to end programming procedure.

1. Insert an already programmed master key into the ignition. Do not turn.
2. Press and release the gas pedal 5 times.
3. Press and release the brake pedal 6 times.
4. Remove the key from the ignition.
5. Insert the new key you want to program into the ignition.
6. Press and release the gas pedal one time.
7. Wait 1 minute. The security light will be blinking for this one minute. When it stops blinking your key is programmed. To end programming step on brake one time.
NOTE: Look for your security light. This light will guide you during the programming procedure. The security light will go off at Step 1. It will remain off until Step 6. The security light will come on and start to blink after Step 6 until the key is programmed. If the security light comes on after Step 4 STOP the procedure and start over again.
If you perform this procedure too slowly your car will not go into programming mode. If you can not get your car to go into programming mode make sure you are using a master key and not a valet key. If you have a master key then you will probably need to perform this procedure more quickly.
The following 3 users liked this post by swat1727:
jasonfox (04-14-24), mexikan (10-16-23), tjcbar (03-27-24)
Old 05-02-12, 03:39 PM
chevyon28z
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good write up...it works
Old 05-02-12, 08:39 PM
wackedgs3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by swat1727
in case someone needs to add another key there is the instruction. two parts. key and remote

KEY PROGRAMMING:

REMOTE PROGRAMMING:

3. Using the electric lock switch. Lock and unlock 5 times. (Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock)
5. Using the electric lock switch. Lock and unlock 5 times. (Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock)

If the door locks do not cycle (lock and unlock) by themselves then the car isn’t in programming mode and you must start over.

8. On the remote, press and hold the LOCK and the UNLOCK button at the same time for no more than 2 seconds.

AT THIS POINT, the locks should cycle by themselves ONE time. This means the procedure was accepted.
The most common reason for programming failure is because the car didn’t receive a good signal from the remote. To fix this problem try these tips. 1) Stand outside of the car while you are performing steps 8 and 9. 2) Don’t hold the remote buttons down as long.
As long as the car is still in programming mode you can keep trying steps 8 and 9 until you complete the programming. If you wait too long and the car exits the programming mode then you must start over.

7. Wait 1 minute. The security light will be blinking for this one minute. When it stops blinking your key is programmed. To end programming step on brake one time.
NOTE: Look for your security light. This light will guide you during the programming procedure. The security light will go off at Step 1. It will remain off until Step 6. The security light will come on and start to blink after Step 6 until the key is programmed. If the security light comes on after Step 4 STOP the procedure and start over again.
If you perform this procedure too slowly your car will not go into programming mode. If you can not get your car to go into programming mode make sure you are using a master key and not a valet key. If you have a master key then you will probably need to perform this procedure more quickly.
You are the **** . thank you I have been trying every type of technique. This one finally worked! All the other procedures seems like it's for the SC. But yeah thanks again.
Old 05-02-12, 08:42 PM
itsjeffrey
Driver School Candidate

Just what i needed !!! Thankss
Old 05-02-12, 11:53 PM
swat1727
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

cool glad it works for you guys =)
Old 05-03-12, 09:16 AM
joonace
Driver School Candidate

This is awesome!

Last edited by joonace; 05-03-12 at 11:39 AM. Reason: found a solution
Old 05-07-12, 09:26 AM
mi98gs300
Driver School Candidate

Default Programming with Valet Key

KEY PROGRAMMING:

REMOTE PROGRAMMING:

I was able to obtain a key from a RX330 and programmed the remote from that key with my 1998 GS300 with just my gray valet key. That saved me a lot of money considering I was about to go to the dealership and drop a few benjamins to get another key. However, my problem is not fully solved yet, I would like to get a spare key, but I m wondering if I can program another key using my valet key????

What do you think? Is it possible? If not, is there any other way of doing it without spending what the Dealership is requesting, $180 for the master key, and $220 to recede the computer.

Thanks, you were very helpful in providing those instructions!
Old 07-13-12, 12:36 PM
Phantom300
Rookie

Swat 1727, props this worked for me!
Old 08-07-12, 09:36 AM
BigWayne
Driver School Candidate

KEY PROGRAMMING:

REMOTE PROGRAMMING:

What is the automatic door lock/unlocks are not currently working on the car, will this work if I did it manually? Thanks, BW
Old 09-06-12, 01:45 PM
SDGSPW
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried this and it didn't work for me. I have a 2003 GS and I couldn't get past Step 7. What did I do wrong?

Last edited by SDGSPW; 09-12-12 at 09:45 AM.
Old 09-19-12, 10:37 AM
SDGSPW
Rookie

No ideas at all?
Old 09-19-12, 12:17 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

i haven't done a lot of key programming, but as long as you are asking for ideas,
I recall there are a certain number of slots in the system.
If you had a lot of keys already registered (6 i think?), you got to go to someone with the handheld computer (dealer) to delete the keys before you can add them all back in again.

Something along those lines...
Old 09-19-12, 03:57 PM
SDGSPW
Rookie

Thanks for the input raytseng. Anyone know off the top of their head how much dealer programming will cost? I thought it was an absolutely insane price, so I was trying to do it myself.
Old 09-19-12, 05:01 PM
raytseng
Instructor

This is a pure labor service item. so it is somewhat flexible to the dealer how much they want to charge you for it.

I've had brought my lexus into my local for prior service and had spent $1500 or so. Had a lost key and had a new key made to me by sewell about 4months later. They just said swing by and they would program it for no charge (took the tech maybe 5-15 min?)

That being said, with no relationship, perhaps they wil charge you up to .5 hours in labor. Around me dealer shop rate is around $150+/hour, so you can expect $75 or so for this if the workorder is fully written up and by the book.

So $0-$75 would be an appropriate estimate, your mileage may vary just on how good your people skills are. Phone calls to your dealer to ask are always free.

Be sure you mention it's just a new key and you have existing master key so they know it's just for the programming.
Old 09-19-12, 05:12 PM
raytseng
Instructor

oh one more thing,
if the dealers end up giving you quotes that are too expensive. Ask around local locksmiths.
Auto-locks are a huge part of locksmith business and many have the tools for Lexus/Toyota or know how to program them. Price again is service-based so it's all up to the service provider, but unlikely it will be $0.

Quick Reply: KEY PROGRAMMING for 98-05 gs300 400 430