GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

poured a bottle of lucas deep clean fuel cleaner = TROUBLE

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-12, 08:11 AM
wald.sc400
BANNED for ripping off other members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
dude...seriously??? The bottle says 'treats up to 20 gallons'. You added a full bottle of super concentrated fuel cleaner to ~5 gallons of fuel?! Of COURSE it's going to run like crap. You should always run lucas fuel system cleaner with at least 10-12 gallons of fuel, preferably about 15 ideally. Don't blame the product for your carelessness.
"DUDE" as i said prior, i realized this could very well be the culprit. i put about 15 gallons last night and drove a few miles to dilute the mixture, it's not 100% normal but not as severe as the day before. since i use chevron, they suggest to pour into a nearly empty tank of gas, my mistake was pouring the lucas the way chevron recommends.
Old 04-12-12, 08:26 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wald.sc400
"DUDE" as i said prior, i realized this could very well be the culprit. i put about 15 gallons last night and drove a few miles to dilute the mixture, it's not 100% normal but not as severe as the day before. since i use chevron, they suggest to pour into a nearly empty tank of gas, my mistake was pouring the lucas the way chevron recommends.
wow...they let you near a car?? You're supposed to pour it into a near empty tank then FILL with at least 10-15 gallons (yes, chevron too. it's recommended for my E500 4matic as well) to fully mix the cleaner into the fuel. If you just pour it on top of the fuel that's there and don't add any it won't mix properly.

It can't "very well be" the culprit, it IS the culprit. Would you put diesel in your car? E85? Jet fuel? I don't think you would, so why would you try and run it on basically straight fuel cleaner?
Old 04-12-12, 08:55 AM
wald.sc400

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
wow...they let you near a car?? You're supposed to pour it into a near empty tank then FILL with at least 10-15 gallons (yes, chevron too. it's recommended for my E500 4matic as well) to fully mix the cleaner into the fuel. If you just pour it on top of the fuel that's there and don't add any it won't mix properly.

It can't "very well be" the culprit, it IS the culprit. Would you put diesel in your car? E85? Jet fuel? I don't think you would, so why would you try and run it on basically straight fuel cleaner?
WRONG "dude"..., lucas recommends to use after fill-ups as opposed to chevron (before). and yes, i let myself near a car - all my cars, all my life. relax guy, seems your wordings are taking it a bit overboard as if it was your own car, it was a simple mistake involving cross steps and habit. i realized my mistake about 10 post ago -
Old 04-12-12, 09:11 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

WRONG "dude"..., lucas recommends to use after fill-ups as opposed to chevron (before). and yes, i let myself near a car - all my cars, all my life. relax guy, seems your wordings are taking it a bit overboard as if it was your own car, it was a simple mistake involving cross steps and habit. i realized my mistake about 10 post ago -
I disagree whole-heartedly, I think you need to read the bottle again. Some cleaners may SAY that you can use it after filling up, but that's bad practice. You should always put fuel system cleaners into the tank BEFORE filling with some gas to mix the cleaning agent thoroughly to avoid the very problem you ran into.
Old 04-12-12, 09:17 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

I agree for any fuel cleaning additives, ita recommed to add the additive when the fuel tank level about 1/4 tank. Then add the additive and Refill Gasoline all the way to the top
Old 04-12-12, 06:15 PM
LexiBlue
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use both lucas ant techron no issues but with a ful tank of 93
Old 04-12-12, 10:45 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Agree with jcat_GS3, but yea...what this is mostly showing is that the chevron techron additive probably doesn't have a lot of active ingredients making it fool-proof

Please just don't put NoS energy drink in your tank, or you will also gain internet front page status.
Old 04-12-12, 10:54 PM
1jzJzz30
Driver

I've personally used this product with ZERO issues what so ever, I did follow the direction of use. I will also say that I normally use SEA-FOAM products instead. If you are having idle issues I highly suggest that you clean your Throttle Body housing. Carbon build up WILL cause your car to run like crap and have a very low idle, almost feeling like a misfire. This was a huge issue with my SC300 around 190k I even rebuild the top-end. (just to figure out that this was my issue)
Old 04-14-12, 06:42 PM
wald.sc400

UPDATE
i drove until i burned all remaining gas, filled up, cleaned both the conical intake on my k&n fikp and the MAF sensor with crc maf cleaner. drove about an hour and waa-laaa...problem solved. no shaking, steady, consistent idle, no CEL, throttle response is HIGHLY improved. i now think my mistake was actually beneficial, i believe the high cleaning concentration of this product cleaned up and removed all the gunk and sludge. next step is to change the plugs.
Old 04-14-12, 08:37 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Your car can actually run entirely on pretty much any fuel system cleaner. If you take your car for a professional fuel system service, they disconnect the fuel from the injectors and pressure feed cleaning solution into it while the car is running - bypassing the fuel tank entirely. Of course a car will not run as good as it runs on petrol, but it does wonders to clean the internals - especially in todays DI engines that suffer from carbon build up.

Sounds like Lucas did its job. Never mind the 20 gallon rating, its always better to run it more concentrated, even if it affects the idle for a bit.
Old 04-15-12, 02:39 AM
1jzJzz30
Driver

UPDATE
i drove until i burned all remaining gas, filled up, cleaned both the conical intake on my k&n fikp and the MAF sensor with crc maf cleaner. drove about an hour and waa-laaa...problem solved. no shaking, steady, consistent idle, no CEL, throttle response is HIGHLY improved. i now think my mistake was actually beneficial, i believe the high cleaning concentration of this product cleaned up and removed all the gunk and sludge. next step is to change the plugs.
I thought that CRC MAF cleaner was not to be used on our type of sensors. I'm I misinformed?
Old 04-16-12, 10:10 PM
GS714
Pole Position

Default No problem here for three months now

Just personal experience. I poured about 16 oz. and filled my gas tank with lucas upper cylinder lubricant and injector cleaner without any problem on both the GS300 and my 98 Camry. As a matter of fact, It's even improve MPG on both cars. On the camry, up 23 mpg combined was like 21.5. The MPG went up to around 25 mpg after I cleaned the throttle and I have no clue what the hell I was doing. The Camry only started after five crank attempted. . I should have soaked the dirty runoff with a rag, instead of just letting it sit there and closed everything up. For the GS300, 17 mpg to 18.5, and after spark plugs replaced and tranny flushed. Averaging 21 combined in SoCal traffic. Filled/divided = between 300-308 with 16 gallons till empty light lite on.

Last edited by GS714; 04-16-12 at 10:16 PM.
Old 04-17-12, 05:45 AM
wald.sc400

Originally Posted by Och
Your car can actually run entirely on pretty much any fuel system cleaner. If you take your car for a professional fuel system service, they disconnect the fuel from the injectors and pressure feed cleaning solution into it while the car is running - bypassing the fuel tank entirely. Of course a car will not run as good as it runs on petrol, but it does wonders to clean the internals - especially in todays DI engines that suffer from carbon build up.

Sounds like Lucas did its job. Never mind the 20 gallon rating, its always better to run it more concentrated, even if it affects the idle for a bit.
very true, although other members may have mixed opinions, it certainly worked out quite well for me

Originally Posted by 1jzJzz30
I thought that CRC MAF cleaner was not to be used on our type of sensors. I'm I misinformed?
never heard of any issues on our cars before. i've always used this on my 2 previous sc400's, my dad's ls430 and my gs4 and no issues, ever. also used them on my other makes/models with no problems.

Originally Posted by GS714
Just personal experience. I poured about 16 oz. and filled my gas tank with lucas upper cylinder lubricant and injector cleaner without any problem on both the GS300 and my 98 Camry. As a matter of fact, It's even improve MPG on both cars. On the camry, up 23 mpg combined was like 21.5. The MPG went up to around 25 mpg after I cleaned the throttle and I have no clue what the hell I was doing. The Camry only started after five crank attempted. . I should have soaked the dirty runoff with a rag, instead of just letting it sit there and closed everything up. For the GS300, 17 mpg to 18.5, and after spark plugs replaced and tranny flushed. Averaging 21 combined in SoCal traffic. Filled/divided = between 300-308 with 16 gallons till empty light lite on.
nice improvement, i havent gotten to estimate my mpg's but i'm now getting much more miles to the gallon.