GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

I want to paint my calipers but PROFESSIONALLY if possible.. please need suggestions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-12, 09:43 AM
Acer
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
I would not recommend powder coating calipers - it can't handle the heat cycles (expansion and contraction) and eventually pops off in chunks. Companies like StopTech and Brembo actually use a two-part epoxy paint - the correct way to do it is to prep, paint, apply graphics, and then clear coat the entire affair. There's a shop out here in So Cal that does a lot of it - you're looking at $600+ to do a set of calipers, including graphics and clear.

If you're painitng the stock calipers, I don't see the point in going this route - a spray an works pretty well, and stock calipers should only be black or grey anyway (who would want to call attention to their puny stock brakes?). i did the calipers on my Odyssey work van in "Engine builders Cast Iron Grey" which looks pretty good.

I also don't understand the "Lexus" caliper logo thing; is this in case you forget what kind of car you have? Here I am removing emblems and you guys are adding them.... just seems so Pep Boys to me. Would look nice with a "Special Edition" badge on your trunk, I suppose. We call this the MLC package (Mid-Life Crisis).

Also, please, please, please paint those rusty brake rotor hats black!

I like my black painted calipers with the Lexus logo.

This is Pepboys

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Brembo-S...488ed6&vxp=mtr
Old 03-16-12, 01:09 PM
SPI
Driver School Candidate

I own a paint/powder coat shop..

I do plenty of calipers...I ask the customers to break them down, go ahead and spend 20-30$ on a rebuild kit...

The logo is a little tricky, it can get expensive to do THE RIGHT WAY with powder..Basically you would lay a base coat down (white)...Then use a vinyl decal over the white, coat with whatever color finish you want, half cure, remove decals, back in the oven for full cure, clear coat to finish...

A cheaper method is to coat whatever color finish you want, lay the decals on and just use an automotive clear coat...Because the vinyl decals will not hold up to the temps that powder cures at (350-400degrees)

If you have any questions feel free to PM me..
Old 03-16-12, 04:15 PM
LexiBlue
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just paint them save some $$
Old 03-17-12, 10:08 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked GS
I agree with the method of painting them, but your statement is just silly all together, some can argue why debage a "luxury" car this isn't a Honda. That being said my car is debaged. I can't speak for everyone else, to ME its an upgrade as well as keeping it factory/clean... Everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion an this is mine. There's nothing Pep Boyish about my car ...
So, let me understand this: you are entitled to your opinion, but my opinion/preference is "silly."

Got it.

This is exactly why I don't come on the forums anymore.
Old 03-17-12, 10:31 PM
Tac1sc
Driver

Havent u guys heard of these these?! http://www.google.com/search?tbm=isc...0&bih=208#i=17

Hahahah Jk! Diy paint like they said
Old 03-18-12, 08:57 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by SPI
I own a paint/powder coat shop..

I do plenty of calipers...I ask the customers to break them down, go ahead and spend 20-30$ on a rebuild kit...

The logo is a little tricky, it can get expensive to do THE RIGHT WAY with powder..Basically you would lay a base coat down (white)...Then use a vinyl decal over the white, coat with whatever color finish you want, half cure, remove decals, back in the oven for full cure, clear coat to finish...

A cheaper method is to coat whatever color finish you want, lay the decals on and just use an automotive clear coat...Because the vinyl decals will not hold up to the temps that powder cures at (350-400degrees)

If you have any questions feel free to PM me..
I don't want to add any decals my friend. Just a simple and nice red paint to the calipers. Some may call it a waste of time, some may say "puny" stock calipers are not worth painting, etc.. That's they're opinion and they're entitled to express them. I'm keeping my car as stok as I can. No upgrades. I'm fine with the way it rides now. I just spent a little over $600 on new OEM Lexus front+rear rotors as well as new brakepads all around on sewell.com. Before I install all these I really want to paint these silly calipers . What do you recommend my friend? I'll do it myself I'm not afraid of DIY scenarios. Just explain to me the steps and the exact paint I would have to use with the coats I have to apply in order. I'll post all my pics as I go once I start. Thanks again to you and EVERYONE who has actually sat down and added to this thread. I'm still fairly new to CL and appreciate all the comments, opinions, advice, etc.
Old 03-18-12, 09:09 AM
Wicked GS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
So, let me understand this: you are entitled to your opinion, but my opinion/preference is "silly."

Got it.

This is exactly why I don't come on the forums anymore.
Geez us, I'm sure hearts a braking all over the world. An yes, weather it's my opinion , your opinion, it's still an opinion; that's clearly the point!
Old 06-05-12, 08:27 AM
Blck350
Driver School Candidate

Default simple DIY

Some one help the guy with a simple question..
I do want to paint my calipers red also, my opinion, my way, it looks good in expensive cars, because they are big calipers... It looks good in the IS 350...
any ways here is the steps when I did them looong time ago, I used carburetor cleaner to get any grease or dust from the surface to be painted, then of course use any color paint you prefer that is heat resistant, as mentioned earlier G2 paint, cover with masking tape parts you dont want painted, specially inside not showing and parts where it would be any movement, apply even coat, go easy, let dry, apply again. I am not sure about the clear coat, never did it, I guess is easy to find now at auto parts, Heat resistant too. That is my two cents..
Old 06-05-12, 09:37 AM
Sonic_RC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If the calipers you're considering the stock GS calipers just DIY and paint them silver or black. Painting the front GS calipers and bright colors that stand out can go terribly wrong as shown in the previous page. It only shows off just how ugly the stock front GS calipers look. Now if you're doing the Supra or LS caliper swap thats a different story. A 4 piston caliper is much more pleasing to the eye.

I ended up buying a used set of LS front calipers and a spare set of rear calipers (since my old ones were grinded down to clear some wheels). Since I was going to take them apart and have them rebuilt anyways I decided to go the powder coating route and I'm really happy I did. Since sandblasting is a part of the powder coating prep, the calipers came back cleaner than factory new. Here's some photos of the results

Old 06-05-12, 10:37 AM
STR
Rookie

Def a great DIY project. I'm always hesitant to do these things, but they turned out great. Used the G2 kit and as everyone says, prepping is the most important part!

Name:  9fa20d52.jpg
Views: 2845
Size:  103.9 KB
Old 06-05-12, 10:41 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

looking good! i definitely wanna do this in the near future!

does any1 have pictures of the black caliper ON the actual car? it doesnt seem like it stands out too much or much different / noticeable from the original silver
Old 06-05-12, 10:54 AM
Sonic_RC
Racer

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
looking good! i definitely wanna do this in the near future!

does any1 have pictures of the black caliper ON the actual car? it doesnt seem like it stands out too much or much different / noticeable from the original silver
Here's a few photos after I installed them. Personally I'm not a fan in colored calipers because I think it looks a little tacky on stock calipers. I mean unless maybe you're going with a color theme on your car. Everything on my car was black, machined, or chrome so it only made sense to have black calipers with silver emblem and black centers on the rotors. I think only REAL BBK upgrades should be colored like Brembo,Rotora or StopTech etc.

Old 06-05-12, 12:00 PM
4eign
Lead Lap

where u get the 3D/LIFTED Lexus logo?
Old 06-05-12, 12:45 PM
Sonic_RC
Racer

Originally Posted by 4eign
where u get the 3D/LIFTED Lexus logo?
I bought it off of a member here. But I did see them on eBay, but cant seem to find it anymore. The company who makes them and sells them is from Korea. They still sell them but they look different now.. I think its because the originals were very fragile and could crack in have from shipping. Mine had a minor hairline crack between the X and L but you couldn't tell now that its mounted on the caliper. They come with a double sided on the back but I added super glue just to be safe.

This is what they used to look like http://dlwlstnr70.cafe24.com/640/LEX...0part19.99.jpg

Here's the new listing. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kspeed-LEXUS...item20c26d5725

Last edited by Sonic_RC; 06-05-12 at 12:59 PM.
Old 06-07-12, 12:25 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

thanks yakuza!

im actually looking for pictures of the stock painted calipers though (I believe yours are LS400's)

Im wondering if theres a big difference between painting OEM calipers (or painting them black/silver)

Quick Reply: I want to paint my calipers but PROFESSIONALLY if possible.. please need suggestions.