GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

hid kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-12, 10:42 AM
sicklexo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hid kit

New to CL and the GS world. SUP GUYS!!! Quick question im looking for a xenon hid kit that looks as good as the factory xenon ones or fairly close. What do you guys recommend.
Old 03-14-12, 11:06 AM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ive ALWAYS used DDMTUNING.com xenons kits. If you want close to factory, you can get 35W 4300K that they offer. Or 55W 6000K if you want it a bit brighter with a very very VERY minor hint of blue. Its basically SUPER white and bright. Both my GS and my wifes RX are using DDM hid's along with a DOZEN of my friends. They are approx $60-70 shipped, great price, great customer service and lifetime warranty.
Old 03-14-12, 11:10 AM
Kzoosho
Driver

for the look a hid kit will work, for function u will want a retro fit. DDM is not bad, or try the retro fit source.
Old 03-14-12, 11:56 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Kzoosho
for the look a hid kit will work, for function u will want a retro fit. DDM is not bad, or try the retro fit source.
This! Do a retro so you are not blinding everyone on the road! I'm not sure how much better DDM is vs. the cheaper Xentec on eBay. I'm sure both of them are sourcing them from China and both are cheaply made. I almost bought the Xentec 5k for $30 just to see how it would look in my car...because $30 isn't much at all, but I didn't pull the trigger because I didn't want to be a hyprocrite because I can't stand PnP kits. They are only serviceable in cars with factory halogen projectors.

Last edited by SaiyanGS3; 03-14-12 at 11:59 AM.
Old 03-14-12, 12:14 PM
justablkv8
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

hid ballasts are $10.00 for slim
Old 03-14-12, 01:53 PM
sicklexo
Rookie

Thanx guys. Ive seen people with some hids that look like crap. They are just to bright and dont look nice. I want some that are nice and clear. I like the way 8k looks. Ive heard of carlighttrends.com sells some but tjey are $150. Does anyone have those and if they are any diff from the ebay ones or ddm tuning
Old 03-14-12, 02:05 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If you have HID headlights then you shouldn't be blinding people since they have different bulbs that were built for reflectors.
Old 03-14-12, 05:32 PM
DC2408
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sicklexo
Thanx guys. Ive seen people with some hids that look like crap. They are just to bright and dont look nice. I want some that are nice and clear. I like the way 8k looks. Ive heard of carlighttrends.com sells some but tjey are $150. Does anyone have those and if they are any diff from the ebay ones or ddm tuning
Old 03-14-12, 07:08 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by L3XOTIC
Ive ALWAYS used DDMTUNING.com xenons kits. If you want close to factory, you can get 35W 4300K that they offer. Or 55W 6000K if you want it a bit brighter with a very very VERY minor hint of blue. Its basically SUPER white and bright. Both my GS and my wifes RX are using DDM hid's along with a DOZEN of my friends. They are approx $60-70 shipped, great price, great customer service and lifetime warranty.
dont know about good customer service, but all the rest is true
Old 03-14-12, 08:47 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

xenon depot is good.
Old 03-14-12, 09:04 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd really consider a projector retrofit. If you look around at theretrofitsource and/or luxurymods there's projectors and brackets out there that make retros very accessible to the masses. You'll be much much happier with the end result if you do it properly the first time.

BTW, 8k hid bulbs have significantly less useable light than lower color temps and if you combine that with the factory halogen housings you'll end up with a lot of glare and not as much light on the road.
Old 03-15-12, 05:10 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Originally Posted by DC2408
LMAO!! I was thinking the same thing when I read it. If you are looking for more USABLE light without pissing off everyone by not doing a proper retro, get HIR bulbs. But those bulbs are kinda expensive...$30 for one bulb!
Old 03-15-12, 08:33 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Why don't you just go on sewell parts and order an original H.I.D. kit. There is nothing like OEM. I read so many things on CL. Like every day. I see so many pics and I always come to the same conclusion. I respect EVERY BODYS decisions with their cars no doubt but I think ppl are going overboard with all this customization stuff. Lexus is a luxury well engineered car. Just leave it the way it is. Then again that's just my opinion. I do think some of the "VIP" cars I See are hot but all this dropping and this and that is stupid. Moral of the story is my friend if you want that original light you expect get the OEM HID kit.
Old 03-15-12, 09:10 AM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by aneidiaz
Why don't you just go on sewell parts and order an original H.I.D. kit. There is nothing like OEM. I read so many things on CL. Like every day. I see so many pics and I always come to the same conclusion. I respect EVERY BODYS decisions with their cars no doubt but I think ppl are going overboard with all this customization stuff. Lexus is a luxury well engineered car. Just leave it the way it is. Then again that's just my opinion. I do think some of the "VIP" cars I See are hot but all this dropping and this and that is stupid. Moral of the story is my friend if you want that original light you expect get the OEM HID kit.
I hated the output of my factory hids, even cheap projectors will have much better and more even lighting.
Old 03-15-12, 10:02 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Originally Posted by aneidiaz
I agree with most of what you are saying, especially concerning the VIP cars, because I truly hate the negative camber, super dropped look...but that my opinion. But I will have to disagree with the OEM HID reflectors output. Yeah it looks great, but it's awful compared to the projectors. Reflector HID is old technology, that is exactly why you see the newer cars with projectors. Give out more light output.

Quick Reply: hid kit