GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

I am upgrading my garage for my GS have I gone crazy

Old 03-08-12, 12:21 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

For you guys looking at doing floors I've done it few times in my previous garages, as have friends and neighbors, and the rustoleum or other similar box store brands of concrete paint and 2 part epoxy coatings will not last much more than a year or so, no matter what they claim.

As with any type of paint work prep can make or break the job, acid cleaning the floor multiple times a few days before the job will help alot, not the 10 minute quick job these products tell you to do.

Any oil or stains in your floor will prevent the coating from sticking for very long, or if you have any moisture migration through the ground below it will lift the paint. You should at least do the standard moisture test on your floor in a few spots by laying a garbage bag flat on the floor and tape it down completely with masking tape, then wait a couple days and pull it back and see if there is any moisture on the bag or if the concrete is damp or a different color, this tells you that moisture is migrating up and if this is the case it's probably not worth coating.

I can tell you also that a bare concrete floor looks better than one that was painted and then started to flake up. Hot tire pickup is a big problem with water based as well. If you do use the color chips, I can also say from experience that they look good but if you don't add an additional clear coat over it they will looks like crap a year later as well, because the hold dirt on the edges. They do help with traction, so when using a clear coat you can add aluminum oxide or other available non-slip additives.

If you are intent on a epoxy coating spend the extra for one that is 100% solids, not water based like the box stores cheap kits are. It the only type that will actually stay for quite a few years, but nothing will stay if you have moisture migration. There a few 100% solids brands out there, Wolverine is one of the popular ones and is what I used on friends floor (it was brand new concrete no oil or contaminates), it's a bit pricey but it looked way better and went on much thicker than the water based stuff and that was back in 2006, I've seen the floor since then and it still looks great..

When I built my current home and shop I did not coat the floors because my past experiences were not good with epoxies or paints, and no roll on floor system will hold up hot slag from welding, I will be polishing and acid staining this time when I get around to that project altough it can still be damaged but not nearly as dramatic as paint/epoxy does...

Last edited by 99 GS3; 03-08-12 at 12:31 PM.
Old 03-08-12, 12:35 PM
ksu1998
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 99 GS3
For you guys looking at doing floors I've done it few times in my previous garages, as have friends and neighbors, and the rustoleum or other similar box store brands of concrete paint and 2 part epoxy coatings will not last much more than a year or so, no matter what they claim.

As with any type of paint work prep can make or break the job, acid cleaning the floor multiple times a few days before the job will help alot, not the 10 minute quick job these products tell you to do.

Any oil or stains in your floor will prevent the coating from sticking for very long, or if you have any moisture migration through the ground below it will lift the paint. You should at least do the standard moisture test on your floor in a few spots by laying a garbage bag flat on the floor and tape it down completely with masking tape, then wait a couple days and pull it back and see if there is any moisture on the bag or if the concrete is damp or a different color, this tells you that moisture is migrating up and if this is the case it's probably not worth coating.

I can tell you also that a bare concrete floor looks better than one that was painted and then started to flake up. Hot tire pickup is a big problem with water based as well. If you do use the color chips, I can also say from experience that they look good but if you don't add an additional clear coat over it they will looks like crap a year later as well, because the hold dirt on the edges. They do help with traction, so when using a clear coat you can add aluminum oxide or other available non-slip additives.

If you are intent on a epoxy coating spend the extra for one that is 100% solids, not water based like the box stores cheap kits are. It the only type that will actually stay for quite a few years, but nothing will stay if you have moisture migration. There a few 100% solids brands out there, Wolverine is one of the popular ones and is what I used on friends floor (it was brand new concrete no oil or contaminates), it's a bit pricey but it looked way better and went on much thicker than the water based stuff and that was back in 2006, I've seen the floor since then and it still looks great..

When I built my current home and shop I did not coat the floors because my past experiences were not good with epoxies or paints, and no roll on floor system will hold up hot slag from welding, I will be polishing and acid staining this time when I get around to that project altough it can still be damaged but not nearly as dramatic as paint/epoxy does...

glad you wrote this..
Old 03-08-12, 06:40 PM
/209JOHN\
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 99 GS3
I saw an episode of 'my strange addiction' where there some guy that did just that, literally.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3_Lq...eature=related

LMFAOOOOOOOO.... WHAT A SHMUCK !!!!! lolololol....

I can't breath , from laughing so hard....lololol
Old 03-08-12, 06:55 PM
AMGWNAB
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure every car in the garage is Lexus....or a big vinyl in the garage may be kinda silly

-Will
Old 03-08-12, 06:56 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ive been wanting to make my garage my man cave area for a few years now, you may have just inspired me all over again.

My buddy has a Viper GTS, he hooked his garage up a few years ago, looks pretty nice. He used the checkered floor tiles. They look good and work well if your not doing any real hard core stuff in there. You would have to be carefull with the bike on thsoe though, IM sure they would get slippery if wet at all.
Old 03-08-12, 11:45 PM
bluwagun
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think thats a great idea for your garage. I have a 3 car myself, before my girl and I moved in we sealed the floor, texturized and painted the walls to match the inside of our house. Good luck, keep us updated.
Old 03-09-12, 12:51 AM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Subscribed! Can't wait to see once it's done!!
Old 03-09-12, 03:08 AM
jriggs
Lead Lap

I only consider a garage over kill when it's the best looking room in the house. Hopefully you're not that extreme already.
Old 03-09-12, 08:31 AM
ksu1998
Advanced

Originally Posted by AMGWNAB
Make sure every car in the garage is Lexus....or a big vinyl in the garage may be kinda silly

-Will
I am with you...toyota lexus and honda vinyl all done

if it looks stupid I will take them right down.
Old 03-09-12, 08:32 AM
ksu1998
Advanced

Originally Posted by jriggs
I only consider a garage over kill when it's the best looking room in the house. Hopefully you're not that extreme already.
no but a couch and TV have made the list. haha
Old 03-09-12, 09:33 AM
try2fndmrk
Pole Position

Hell, I would do it too if I had the time and money
Old 03-09-12, 01:00 PM
Bombsquad
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This will be a nice garage...
Use a two part epoxy flooring, you just paint in the sides with a 4inch brush and apply to the floor with a roller. It goes off really quick once you've mixed it so take some time to read up on applying it first.

Can be had in lots of different colours, it will be dry in 24hrs and you can drive on it after a week.
Whatever you do, don't leave unused mixed coating laying about. It tends to heat up, boil over like a volcano and makes a bigger mess than u can imagine.
Old 03-11-12, 09:40 AM
ksu1998
Advanced

slow progress but the walls are ready for mud/paint all storage is going to one area and in a rubbermaid shed today and monday

Last edited by ksu1998; 03-11-12 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03-15-12, 10:31 PM
ksu1998
Advanced

paint.......slow but worth the wait
Attached Thumbnails I am upgrading my garage for my GS have I gone crazy-img00210-20120315-2105.jpg  
Old 03-15-12, 10:45 PM
ksu1998
Advanced

next accent wall then floor
Attached Thumbnails I am upgrading my garage for my GS have I gone crazy-ff.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I am upgrading my garage for my GS have I gone crazy